The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 142 of 142

User Info Menu

Cool videos Christian. Please keep them coming.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Where is Christian’s partimento video for this week you all cry! Has he spent too much time slagging off blameless musicology professors to record anything?

Fear not!!! here it is - nice ways to go up and down.
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 10-11-2023 at 02:34 PM.

User Info Menu

More stuff with intervals on scale bass

User Info Menu

Latest thing, an improvisation on a Corelli bass

Notice some patterns from previous vids :/)

atm I can do either improvised or in time, I’m favouring the former
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 10-30-2023 at 04:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Beautiful to listen to Christian.

The minor progression reminded me of something and I was surprised to see that the best fit was Wild World (Ooh baby, it's a) by Cat Stevens. If anyone were to know a bit about this sort of stuff I guess Cat would be a good bet.

I'd be interested if you apply your diligence to Bartok's string quartet thinking.

Anyway, a very interesting and rewarding watch, thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Gainly View Post
    Beautiful to listen to Christian.

The minor progression reminded me of something and I was surprised to see that the best fit was Wild World (Ooh baby, it's a) by Cat Stevens. If anyone were to know a bit about this sort of stuff I guess Cat would be a good bet.

I'd be interested if you apply your diligence to Bartok's string quartet thinking.

Anyway, a very interesting and rewarding watch, thanks.
    thank you so much !

that rather … I want to say Rococo.. realisation of the three down two up ‘cascade” bass is 1) not in the Corelli original (his solution is lovely) and 2) always reminds me of ‘it’s a sin’ by the pet shop boys. It also makes me think of Faure’s pavane.

But yes, I can also hear the Cat Stevens tune too now you mention it which the pet shop boys example is very similar to haha…. these melodic and harmonic archetypes are very much with us, which i find beautiful. We might not know Corelli or Couperin from a hole in the ground and yet it’s in the air we breathe…

but yes, it’s interesting who turns out to have studied this stuff as well….

I haven’t looked at anything 20th century for a long time, soon! I do love a bit of Bartok.

User Info Menu

How cadences work

User Info Menu

By absolutely no popular demand - he’s back

Dressing up basic intervals with diminutions

My plan for the immediate future is to go through the exercises in IJerzermans excellent book ‘Harmony, Counterpoint, Partimento’ in some videos, perhaps with tabz and such. May actually be useful to someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post
    By absolutely no popular demand - he’s back

Dressing up basic intervals with diminutions

My plan for the immediate future is to go through the exercises in IJerzermans excellent book ‘Harmony, Counterpoint, Partimento’ in some videos, perhaps with tabz and such. May actually be useful to someone.

Liked, subscribed and left a comment

User Info Menu

Just some fun basic observations for those that might be interested in this sort of thing.

Movement from the 3rd to the 6th is basically found every where....so to improvise with this stuff start with a Do Re Me (Bass I V I or I II I Melody do Re Me) or a ii V I over static tonic bass then just improvise moving from the 3rd to the 6th on each chord. Stepwise bass sounds authentic but gets a bit boring after a few repeats.

Here is an example of parallel 3rds.

Partimento-img20240312072201-jpg

Here is an example of alternating 3rds and 6ths.

Partimento-img20240312072222-jpg

And here is Vivaldi alternating 3rds and 6ths. You've heard this a million times I'm sure.

This stuff is everywhere and makes improv much easier.

Partimento-img20240312071935-jpg

Ok, must run. More later.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker View Post
    Just some fun basic observations for those that might be interested in this sort of thing.

Movement from the 3rd to the 6th is basically found every where....so to improvise with this stuff start with a Do Re Me (Bass I V I or I II I Melody do Re Me) or a ii V I over static tonic bass then just improvise moving from the 3rd to the 6th on each chord. Stepwise bass sounds authentic but gets a bit boring after a few repeats.

Here is an example of parallel 3rds.

Partimento-img20240312072201-jpg

Here is an example of alternating 3rds and 6ths.

Partimento-img20240312072222-jpg

And here is Vivaldi alternating 3rds and 6ths. You've heard this a million times I'm sure.

This stuff is everywhere and makes improv much easier.

Partimento-img20240312071935-jpg

Ok, must run. More later.
    Practice these through the keys :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post
    Practice these through the keys :-)
    And fill with diminutions.....such fun

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker View Post
    And fill with diminutions.....such fun
    Oooh yes…. :-)

You can do a perpetual transposition exercise where you play the sequence, have a cadence and the modulate around the circle of fifths (using a #4 2 chord). It’s quite a good way to warm up …

User Info Menu

New video

User Info Menu

This week’s exciting instalment

User Info Menu

New video

User Info Menu

Partimento-img_2304-jpeg