The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

2019 GFA winner Johan Smith, who will be Guitar Houston’s first post-COVID concert later this month. Nice arrangement of the famous Schubert song

gifted player - also has a metal project:

Johan Smith | Classical Guitarist

incredible maintaining classical rh technique and picking at the highest level

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BWV
    2019 GFA winner Johan Smith, who will be Guitar Houston’s first post-COVID concert later this month. Nice arrangement of the famous Schubert song

Hi, B,
    The Schubert piece was very ambitious and well played. I would have liked a bit more controlled rubato . . .but that's my taste. He has unusual clarity on his cedar-top CG and you always wonder if it's in the recording rather than the instruments nature. However, the second piece was unlistenable for me. And, how did you determine his technique from the second video? Admittedly, I bailed out after 30 seconds and couldn't listen any longer. Talk about split personality.
    Marinero

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, B,
    The Schubert piece was very ambitious and well played. I would have liked a bit more controlled rubato . . .but that's my taste. He has unusual clarity on his cedar-top CG and you always wonder if it's in the recording rather than the instruments nature. However, the second piece was unlistenable for me. And, how did you determine his technique from the second video? Admittedly, I bailed out after 30 seconds and couldn't listen any longer. Talk about split personality.
    Marinero
    don’t see a split personality - metal has always been aesthetically close to classical, their blackened death thing is well done, but sort of a standard style these days.

This is melodic music - the melody just happens to be in the riffs, not the vocals (and it’s cool how the singer switches back and forth from a death growl to black metal screech

hard to tell his guitar playing as the band has two lead guitarists - but they do play some harmonized lines. This one is perhaps a little clearer

User Info Menu

By the way.. really lovely performance of Schubert's songs. And very smoothly going.. not 'guitaristic challenge' thing heard. Just music.

The transcription by Mertz are historical and more or less contemporary to Schubert's time (Schubert himself played guitar too and often accompanied his songs on guitar instead of piano).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BWV

Wow, thanks! A terrific arrangement, terrifically played by a talented musician.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    By the way.. really lovely performance of Schubert's songs. And very smoothly going.. not 'guitaristic challenge' thing heard. Just music.

The transcription by Mertz are historical and more or less contemporary to Schubert's time (Schubertis himself played guitar too and often accompanied his songs on guitar instead of piano).

Hi, J,
    Petrit is a very emotive, visceral player which is what a musician must have if he tackles Schubert. His range of dynamics is incredible and he is one of the few CG's who can get pianistic effects from the CG. He is a very polished, legitimate artist. I read in his bio that he studied with Manuel Barrueco at the Peabody which is only interesting because, stylistically, he is so different from Manuel. However, I'm certain many doors opened for him professionally from the experience. I loved all the pieces but "Standchen"-- a CG favorite was beautifully played(12:06) and is probably the most recognizable to a general audience. Perhaps, the new renaissance of young guitarists is happening now in the Classical Guitar world and the lionshare is certainly coming from Eastern Europe. Ten stars!
    Marinero