The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Came across this on yt and can’t stop listening; fantastic interpretation, gorgeous tone.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Now that's how a classical should be recorded. Beautiful, intimate sound, and of course well played.

User Info Menu

You'll see my comment below the video on YT. I love his playing. In fact he might be the only classical-guitar player I enjoy listening to these days. The guitar was made by Torres, though it has had some work done on it by someone else, and he is using gut trebles, very old ones from a 1920's guitar case.
    Last edited by Rob MacKillop; 11-16-2021 at 05:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Hi, W,
    Thanks for the addition to my morning listening! Carles is a fine player and the beautiful 1892 Antonio Torres (SE153) guitar using gut and silk strings is a treasure. I read on another site that Torres did not finish building this guitar, according to Romanillos, and it was completed by Miguel Moya when Torres fell ill.
    I especially loved the beautiful rosette.
    Play live . . . Marinero
    Last edited by Marinero; 11-17-2021 at 09:12 AM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

Just a few moments in, but what lovely tone. Classical guitar like it was perhaps meant to sound, if there is such a thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JSanta
    Just a few moments in, but what lovely tone. Classical guitar like it was perhaps meant to sound, if there is such a thing.
    Seems very different indeed from the piano-like sound players seem to search for nowadays. Or maybe it is piano-like but more like a late-model fortepiano or Erard. I understand it has B&S of maple or a similar-looking local tonewood, which must help with the well-defined basses. I tend to get annoyed quite quickly by most classical guitar performances but not here, despite the fact that the repertoire he's playing isn't my cuppa.

User Info Menu

Gorgeous playing and tone. None better.

I find this video particularly timely and inspiring as 2023 is The Year of Classical Guitar for me. I am picking up my Sakurai from storage in December and plan to play it exclusively in the coming year.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    You'll see my comment below the video on YT. I love his playing. In fact he might be the only classical-guitar player I enjoy listening to these days. The guitar was made by Torres, though it has had some work done on it by someone else, and he is using gut trebles, very old ones from a 1920's guitar case.
    Rob,

I noticed and saw your comment below the YT video that he is, indeed, playing with nails on the gut trebles. I have to wonder how long those gut trebles last with nails. But, I assume that playing on gut trebles with nails was somewhat common during the time of Torres and Tarrega and then onward until the invention of nylon strings. It then begs the question of how they were able to minimize the shredding of the gut strings. Were those gut strings of yesteryear less prone to damage from nails than the gut strings of today? From my experience playing lute, gut strings and nails are not compatible.

Bill

User Info Menu

Finest playing I’ve heard in a long time! 125 year old guitar too.-aac585b7-e78c-4c5d-9689-ce1651b95cbf-jpeg

This is a photo of Segovia’s gut first string before he changed to nylon. It has recently been found in his estate. It was made by Pirastro specifically for guitar. It is said to be as smooth as nylon. Pirastro no longer have a “guitar set” so I wrote to them asking what they sold today that would come closest to this old string, and they sent me three trebles as samples. They arrived a week ago, and they look exactly the same. I put them on my 19th-century guitar, and they sound excellent, seem tough, and in one week have shown no signs of fraying, as a first string can sometimes do. I get the feeling they could withstand nail playing quite well. Some gut strings I’ve played in the recent past were not as robust, and I’m wondering if the Pirastro guitar strings were adapted for nail players during Segovia’s time of playing them.

I’ve been informed that the trebles used by Charles Trepat here were found unused in a guitar case from the 1920s, again Pirastro, so are probably the same as used by Segovia.

I quote here from the response I got from Pirastro:

“As an alternative to the former Sarabande strings we can offer you to try the strings from our customized strings program. They have a string length of 125cm and are plain gut strings.
    We have calculated the gauges you would need:

Customized strings
    E1 = 12 3/4 PM Art. No. 191900
    H2 = 15 1/4 PM Art. No. 192900 [H2 = B2]
    G3 = 19PM Art. No. 194200
    Pirastro - Strings Handmade in Germany since 1798

I actually don’t know the price, but just this morning wrote to their UK distributor for a quotation.

I hope that helps, Bill?

User Info Menu

Yep, that looks like a gut string, maybe even like an oiled one (but that could just be age).

Pirastro have never stopped making (wound) gut strings so there shouldn't really be any "lost technology" with them...