The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just found this recent show with Ana Vidovic -- she's such a monster! Enjoy:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

AV was supposed to be the season closer for the Philadelphia Classical Guitar Society last year, but .... so she played a virtual concert for the PCGS a month or so ago, and will hopefully be back live this upcoming season. Fantastic player with excellent audience rapport.

User Info Menu

Yes, freaking amazing. A monster and an angel.

User Info Menu

Excellent musician.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Marc, thanks for sharing this. She'd been my favourite for a long time. Now I'm listening to Stephanie Jones a lot. You familiar with her?

Her phrasing is an inspiration to me for playing solo improvisational music

User Info Menu

Yes, I appreciate Stephanie but, among the young players generation, Ty Zhang is my favorite.
    I hope you also enjoy him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cordalis
    Yes, I appreciate Stephanie but, among the young players generation, Ty Zhang is my favorite.
    I hope you also enjoy him.

Hi, C,
    My favorite was Piazolla's "Nightclub 1960." Ty ,like most in his generation of Classical Guitarists, is an outstanding technician and to succeed in a program like Julliard, these skills are paramount to success and future recognition. However, when comparing Ty to Anna Vidiovic, the difference is that Ty, IMO, lacks intuitive warmth and expression as a natural consequence of his playing . . . in other words, the feel is studied/practiced, musically appropriate, and expected. It is part of his musical diagram for a given piece of music. But, this is exactly what CG judges in worldwide competitions are promoting today by their winners and losers as well as in most top music programs worldwide. So, for most, this IS the status quo. Anna, contra-wise, comes from the Eastern European School of performance which also stresses technical mastery but places "Old World" standards (Rubenstein, Segovia, Kempff, Casals, Heifitz, etc.) of performance as paramount where the artist's voice and personality stamp the music. For example, in Jazz, would you ever be confused about who the musician is when hearing Chet, Coltrane, Wes, Monk, Joey D, Gene Ammons, Parker? No, they have gone beyond the notes and are speaking through their instruments in a personal and unique voice. This is always what I look for in a musician when I hear a performance. Some have it . . . some don't. I don't think it is teachable.

Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Hi Marinero. Thanks for your comment.
    I agree with you, however I just put Ty in the same young generation of Stephanie, following a suggestion of Jimmy. I wouldn’t dare to compare any of them with Vidovic, an established talent for a long while. I don’t even compare Ty and Stephanie, it’s not part of my personality to do that because I think the listener also makes the musician to himself.
    Best regards.