The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice video, Kris. And, it reinforces a belief I've held over a lifetime . . . the "Greats" are born . . . not made.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Nice video, Kris. And, it reinforces a belief I've held over a lifetime . . . the "Greats" are born . . . not made.
    Play live . . . Marinero

In my experience that is especially a popular sentiment among the non-greats. It's not their fault that they failed or never amounted to anything. They where just not born for it. It's just fate or divine will.

Then they will blatantly ignore that the greats worked their ass off from an early age ... Like John Williams here.

“For 37 years I’ve practiced fourteen hours a day, and now they call me a genius!” - Pablo de Sarasate

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    In my experience that is especially a popular sentiment among the non-greats. It's not their fault that they failed or never amounted to anything. They where just not born for it. It's just fate or divine will.

Then they will blatantly ignore that the greats worked their ass off from an early age ... Like John Williams here.

“For 37 years I’ve practiced fourteen hours a day, and now they call me a genius!” - Pablo de Sarasate
    Talent plus hard work - this is the best solution.
    Talent is difficult to measure.It can also be developed or not.

User Info Menu

Some people are very musically talented but in the end, not terribly interested.

In the magical overlap between love and talent, one may find the best in any field I suppose.

User Info Menu

I met once:
    A talented lazy and hardworking average person.
    Sometimes the hardworking one wins.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov

My view (based on having been an elite-level athlete and observing elite musicians):

The real talent that the greats possess is the discipline and focus to work extraordiarily hard from a young age.

Being born in a good family helps, where a child is surrounded by good music and encouraged to pick up an instrument early. Many of the greats had music teachers as parents (John Williams, Mozart, Jacob Collier); this is luck.

The natural / genetic aptitude of a great will shape that person’s voice as an artist, but not whether they become a great.

User Info Menu

An apple will never be an orange no matter the soil, the sun or the season.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

The apple is good and the orange is good ... so that only the sun shines.

User Info Menu

It all comes down to luck anyways just like most or all things in life (even the practicing insane hours aspect is part of luck). Once I have realized that, nothing impresses me anymore despite what one's achievements are. As you can tell I'm great at parties

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    The apple is good and the orange is good ... so that only the sun shines.
    Hi,K,
    As long as the orange isn't from Chicago . . . and the apple in Nunavut! Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

To sum up: there’s no excuse not to practice :-)