The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    Thank you for your assessment, it's good when somebody actually listens, and has an opinion!

I've gone off the steelstring since I got my Flamenca, I found that it handles most of my repertoire nicely. But you may like this guy here:

On tenor, I had an Otto Link 8* and medium / medium soft reeds either from Vandoren or Rico Royal. I keep some Rico Plasticovers No. 2 on hand in case the bug bites me again.

Hi, D,
    What's not to like about DJ? I haven't heard him before but he has wonderful technique and is a melodic player. . . a very accomplished musician. I'll put him on my new player list. Thanks! Changing horses, I played a vintage Meyer Hard Rubber #5/large chamber with Rico Royals: #3 1/2" Jazz combos/#4 for Big Band/Funk/Soul. I had a big, round sound a la Gene Ammons, Dexter, Zoot Sims versus the edgier tone of more "modern" players. This worked for me as a soloist as well as creating a big, thick, lush sound in my horn sections. As a side note, I haven't touched my Selmer Mark VI tenor since 1982 but I think about it everyday and imagine how great it would be to play again but playing sax again means playing in ensembles and all the attendant problems and headaches that are part of the process. So, solo guitar . . . period! Thanks, D!
    Play live . . . Marinero

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Marinero,

yes, Dominik is great, I hope gets some extra attention via this forum here. I bought his CD and like it a lot. Very carefully chosen repertoire that works well on steel strings.

At the risk of completely hijacking this thread - much the same with me. Plus, around here tenor players are a dime a dozen but good amateur jazz guitar players are rare.

I love Dexter but my wife says I sound exactly like Sonny Rollins. There are worse things, I guess... now if I could do the same on the guitar I'd be happy.

User Info Menu

"I love Dexter but my wife says I sound exactly like Sonny Rollins. There are worse things, I guess... now if I could do the same on the guitar I'd be happy." DocSteve

Hi, D,
    Now I know why you blew a metal mouthpiece! I never tried one. I listened to Sonny in my formative years on sax and as I remember, he was one of the first to use the new metal mouthpieces(is this a saxophone forum?). Oh well, when you mentioned steel strings, I thought you switched to Flamenca? A good Flamenca will get a player the bright sounds he/she likes but not, of course, as bright as steel. German saxers a dime a dozen????? Well, you've got to thank those Bavarians!
    Play live . . . Marinero

https://youtu.be/q8ktyWlRvUs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    "I love Dexter but my wife says I sound exactly like Sonny Rollins. There are worse things, I guess... now if I could do the same on the guitar I'd be happy." DocSteve

Hi, D,
    Now I know why you blew a metal mouthpiece! I never tried one. I listened to Sonny in my formative years on sax and as I remember, he was one of the first to use the new metal mouthpieces(is this a saxophone forum?). Oh well, when you mentioned steel strings, I thought you switched to Flamenca? A good Flamenca will get a player the bright sounds he/she likes but not, of course, as bright as steel. German saxers a dime a dozen????? Well, you've got to thank those Bavarians!
    Play live . . . Marinero

https://youtu.be/q8ktyWlRvUs
    I did switch to a Flamenca but because of you, I played the entire 5 Preludes on my Martin last night. Works fine, too; but when I played them on the Flamenca afterwards it was a hundred times better.

Maybe an idea for a new practice regime.

OMG, what has this thread come to. My sincere apologies to grahambop, Laura Snowden and of course Julian Bream!

User Info Menu

No problem, I also like listening to John Renbourn playing old lute pieces on the steel-string guitar, and Chris Thile playing Bach on the mandolin!

User Info Menu

I played the entire 5 Preludes on my Martin last night. Works fine, too; but when I played them on the Flamenca afterwards it was a hundred times better. DocSteve

Hi, D,
    Let us know how your gig goes(previously mentioned) with "The Preludes." Will you use the Flamenca? Good luck! That's an ambitious program and a real treat for the audience. Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero

Hi, D,
    Let us know how your gig goes(previously mentioned) with "The Preludes." Will you use the Flamenca? Good luck! That's an ambitious program and a real treat for the audience. Play live . . . Marinero
    Looks loke the gig is going to fall prey to Covid once again. Meanwhile, I‘m keeping myself happy by playing HVL on the electric and jamming over Prelude 4.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    Looks loke the gig is going to fall prey to Covid once again. Meanwhile, I‘m keeping myself happy by playing HVL on the electric and jamming over Prelude 4.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
    Hi, D,
    I wouldn't rush it. There are a couple three-chord all stars playing around town now but none of the serious guys are playing ,yet, in my area. The upside of this pandemic is that we have time to work on new material while keeping the old stuff in shape. Only time will tell.
    Play live . . . Marinero