The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Another Bream video in my collection which I have now posted on YouTube. This one has an interview with him at the beginning, which was missing from the versions other people had posted.

This was from a Proms concert in 1991. At the end Malcolm Arnold comes on stage and performs some very worrying antics with Julian’s guitar!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Arnold was obviously not a guitar man, or would not have been so unceremonius with such a fine and expensive instrument.

Here's guessing that Bream's stomach sank when Arnold clowned around with his guitar, and probably had a few other reflexive instincts and inspirations to boot. But it all came out OK.

User Info Menu

For a moment I thought they were going to re-enact this battle:

Julian Bream - Malcolm Arnold Guitar Concerto (1991)-fb02347f-280b-43e0-a963-8237a841fe6c-jpg

User Info Menu

Like this:

Julian Bream - Malcolm Arnold Guitar Concerto (1991)-bream-malcolm-arnold-jpg

User Info Menu

Interesting that he's using a Dynarette leg pillow rather than a footstool! Hadn't seen that before.

User Info Menu

Yes, even though I’ve seen it before I only noticed that when I was putting it on YouTube. I saw Bream during the early 1990s and I’m pretty sure he was using a footstool on that occasion.

Must admit these days for classical guitar I use a dynarette cushion in conjunction with a very low footstool, as a result my back is much happier than when I just used a footstool.

User Info Menu

great clip..beautful music...but breams outfit in the opening interview is worthy of later days barney kessel..checked jacket, striped shirt and bold floral pattern tie!!! egad! haha

cheers

User Info Menu

But that's how we all imagine you to dress, neatomic!

User Info Menu

^ actually i'd like to think my style far more subdued...ala...ernie roth!

haha

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GTRMan
    Arnold was obviously not a guitar man, or would not have been so unceremonius with such a fine and expensive instrument.

Here's guessing that Bream's stomach sank when Arnold clowned around with his guitar, and probably had a few other reflexive instincts and inspirations to boot. But it all came out OK.
    Well, if he was a trumpet player as they say in the interview, he should know how to handle expensive instruments.

Actually, that goes for just about any "fine" instrument. Professional guitars are cheap compared to violins, flutes or any other classical instrument.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    great clip..beautful music...but breams outfit in the opening interview is worthy of later days barney kessel..checked jacket, striped shirt and bold floral pattern tie!!! egad! haha

cheers
    Amazing that Barney had very good taste in music, but he was not the epitome of sartorial elegance
    with bright red satin shirt etc., not typically Saville Row, but who cares? We all love his playing
    along with other Masters , who make it look easy.