The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Just uploaded this from my video collection, here is Julian Bream playing eight pieces by John Dowland on the lute. This was recorded from a TV programme in 1987. Only a couple of these performances have been available on youtube previously, as far as I know.

All the relevant details are given in the description on youtube.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I haven't got time to listen now, but I look forward to it. Do you mind if I share it on a classical-guitar forum?

User Info Menu

Rob, ok by me. Someone has already put it on the Delcamp forum by the way.

User Info Menu

wonderful...i had just been listening to dowland earlier today!

the sound is a bit wonky...or the intonation!..but...beggars can't be choosers..hah

cheers

User Info Menu

I had to remove some hiss from the original audio on the video, it was recorded on a mono VHS recorder so fairly lo-fi. But apart from that, it sounds reasonably ok to me. You do of course get a slight ‘detuned’ effect from some of the pairs of lute courses, like a 12-string guitar. I believe that is not unusual, I think you can hear it on Bream’s lute records at least.
    Last edited by grahambop; 08-24-2020 at 09:01 AM.

User Info Menu

Bream appears to be playing a 10-course lute, so 19 strings to worry about! (although for Dowland, I doubt he needs all of them.)

Julian Bream plays Dowland (1987)-b6f32e66-836e-4af0-b0a9-d5997b75b388-jpg

User Info Menu

Yeah 7 is fine IIRC

User Info Menu

Well, the lute changed a lot during Dowland's time, as did the playing technique. He wrote for 6, 7, 8 and 9c lutes, and his technique changed from thumb in to thumb out - the latter closer to guitar technique.

But most of the best repertoire is for 7 courses.

User Info Menu

Thanks for this explanation, Rob . Watching this interesting video, I wondered how Juian Bream used (or not) the bass strings.

User Info Menu

This article has some details of the lute. Apparently Bream wanted the ability to play a wider repertoire so he commissioned a 10-course lute from luthier Luc Breton.

I love his use of the term ‘the authentic music racket’!

(I think you can scroll down and read the whole article even though it talks about subscribing, I was able to read it all).

MUSIC; JULIAN BREAM SETS OFF IN A NEW (OLD) DIRECTION - The New York Times

User Info Menu

Seeing the title only I thought you misspelled download its beautiful...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

John Download...lol, brilliant.

If he was around today I expect he would become a youtuber and adopt that name!

User Info Menu

Julian Bream at Download? Imagine the mosh pit!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Julian Bream at Download? Imagine the mosh pit!
    Julian Bream plays Dowland (1987)-95e1f5ce-e8c9-400d-acbd-6dfa8d9975c4-jpg

User Info Menu

Bream was featured on the last page of last week's The Economist (the last page is always about a person that died).

Nice tribute about this very talented Brit.