User Info Menu

I was wondering if any of you are currently playing or played in the past on guitars that were made in Paracho. There are many different luthiers down there. Would love to hear your thoughts about the guitars and if there are certain luthiers that sticks out and can be mentioned.

Thank you.
    Shay

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I am currently playing a 2017 Cervantes Millenia Studio PE, which was made at the Cervantes workshop in Paracho, Mexico. Cervantes also makes much more expensive guitars at his California workshop. The guitar has a cedar top and is lattice braced with a light lacquer finish. It has Palo Escrito (Mexican Rosewood) back and sides.

I also have a hand made Daniel Bernaert (Spanish luthier) classical guitar from Murcia Spain, which has a spruce top, fan bracing and is French polished. The Cervantes, being lattice braced, is the much louder instrument with great projection, the Bernaert has the more traditional Spanish sound. Like most luthier made instruments, the Bernaert was significantly more expensive than the Paracho made Cervantes.

The quality of the Cervantes is excellent for a factory instrument, but upon close inspection does show a few finish flaws that you likely wouldn't get from a luthier made classical. (Not needing two nylon string guitars, I will likely sell the Cervantes once it gets a little easier to show/ship guitars.) If I had never stepped up to the Bernaert, I'd likely have been very happy to play the Cervantes for a long while. I do still enjoy playing each of them, and generally keep the Cervantes in drop D tuning.

I'm sure others will have more insight into Paracho made instruments; I've enjoyed playing mine tremendously and would be keeping it if I could justify owning two nice classicals.

Guitars made in Paracho, Mexico-cer-milcncpe-1333-1-0f43c5d5-jpgGuitars made in Paracho, Mexico-cer-milcncpe-1333-8-66fb0bbd-jpg

Thank you so much for the response. I am familiar with Cervantes guitars and they're all indeed fantastic instruments even the factory made ones... Although I'm surprised that being the less expensive of the two, the Cervantes is still the loudest... I am very curious what is the shared opinion among players about luthiers in Paracho such as jose Luis diaz reyes, abel garcia, salvador castillo etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Shay
    Thank you so much for the response. I am familiar with Cervantes guitars and they're all indeed fantastic instruments even the factory made ones... Although I'm surprised that being the less expensive of the two, the Cervantes is still the loudest... I am very curious what is the shared opinion among players about luthiers in Paracho such as jose Luis diaz reyes, abel garcia, salvador castillo etc...

Lattice braced guitars are almost always louder no matter what price. It’s simply the nature of the construction. Fan braced guitars usually are more colorful and have a bigger dynamic range. Lattice guitars almost feel like there’s a compressor on all the time, which isn’t a bad thing!

Abel Garcia and Salvador Castillo are probably two of the more reputable luthiers in Paracho. Most of the luthiers there are not great and make guitars to feed the tourist market.