User Info Menu

Anybody tried a Flamenco guitar with a pick? Sometimes I play Classical guitar with a pick currently strung with extra hard tension strings--very good sound.

a) Have you tried playing a Flamenco guitar with a pick? If so a brighter sound with the Flamenco guitar--due to the thinner top?
    b) Do you think the thinner top of the Flamenco would take the extra hard tension strings?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Flamenco guitars will take heavy-gauge nylon strings just fine. Playing with a pick sounds good if it's the right pick, as with most guitars and players. While the flamenco blanca is lighter, flamenco guitars are built to undergo really rigorous treatment.

User Info Menu

Not all Flamencas are equal. On my recent trip to Spain, I played some real light-built cannons as well as some that feel almost like a classical, but with a significantly lower action. I bought one of the latter and will be taking her to a Gypsy Jazz workshop with Joscho Stephan next month. Can't wait. Meanwhile, I have a classical/Latin gig coming up on Sunday and she's doing that just fine, too. Right now, I've strung her with Savarez medium tension carbon strings. Soundwise there is hardly a difference between pick and fingers, but it does make a great difference when you pick close to the bridge.