User Info Menu

Shot a short classical guitar video this afternoon, thought I'd share. :-)

Up to now I've been using dedicated microphones for recording CG. This time I used the built-in mics on my Zoom H4nPro for expediency, and I think they did a great job capturing what is a fairly bright and loud instrument.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

nice!

Anthony Holborne (fl.1584-d.1602) was an English renaissance composer for lute, cittern, bandora, and consort. His piece, The Night Watch, refers to one of the duties of the city waits. The waits were bands of musicians who kept night watch on the city gate, and also played music on official occasions, welcomed royal visitors by playing at the town gates, led the mayor's procession on civic occasions, and awoke townsfolk on winter mornings by playing under their windows.
    Anthony Holborne arranged The Night Watch several times for different instruments: for cittern and bass viol; for bandora; for consort; and for the lute. This constant rearranging of music was typical of the renaissance spirit, a creative spirit of innovation and reinvention which The Night Watch heartily embrace in their own arrangements, performances and workshops.

cheers

User Info Menu

hey, I just bought the Zoom h4n Pro.

How do you set yours up to capture guitar?

90 or 120?

how far is the recorder from the guitar?

Great playing--as always, by the way

User Info Menu

Hi, Irez87! I set the mics at 90 degrees. (You only need 120 degrees if you're trying to capture a very wide sound field.)

The recorder was between 3-4 feet from the guitar, at the height of the sound hole, pointed toward the sound hole ... and here's the trick that made it work: I angled it down probably 30 degrees. Not only did this attenuate the bass the right amount, it also made my breathing less audible.

User Info Menu

Very nice performance of The Night Watch!

I haven't heard that piece played for so long I forgot how much I liked it.

Thank you for posting your video!

Regards,
    Steven Herron

User Info Menu

Good job. I put Holborne's Hi-Ho Holiday on my Christmas CD years ago, fine composer.