The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Those of you who have tried 'Extra Hard Tension' strings which make do you prefer for projection and tone?

Your advice welcome. Many thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You talking steel?

User Info Menu

Extra-hard tension strings don't work well on most guitars, they "choke" the sound. Each guitar has its own best tension for sustain and playability.

User Info Menu

It's been a while, I've used D'Addario and GHS, both were good but D'Addario bass strings tend to last longer. Now I use normal and light tensions

User Info Menu

If you mean nylon strings i use D addario extra hard tension, but not so much for the tone, more because it is easier for me to switch from playing steel strings on acoustic and electrics. Of course I also like their sound, specially their pricier line.

Also, as mentioned above, check on the maker of your guitars. Some models are made for specific string tension ranges.

User Info Menu

For flamenco, where you want a bright sound with strong attack and lots of volume, I always leaned toward these strings. Love em:

Savarez 540J Alliance/HT Classic HT Classical Guitar Strings, Full Set

User Info Menu

always hard tension for me, extra hard is too much. I've only owned one classical though, so I just say try everything. I kept a little journal where I cut a piece from the package and wrote my thoughts

User Info Menu

I use extra hard tension Savarez strings on my Thames classical. But it is a short scale guitar and I keep the action medium low.

User Info Menu

On my flamenco guitar I used Savarez 500CJ for years. Just switched to the LaBella 820 and absolutely love them. The Savarez strings had a slightly mellower, more bell-like tone (very beautiful), but the LaBella trebles last longer and sound great as well, and the whole set has lasted a full year after putting them on. The guitar sounds snappier with the LaBellas and longer string life made the switch worth it.

Many thanks your replies. Much appreciated.

User Info Menu

I used to string my classical guitar with high tension actual gut strings. I don't think that you can even get them anymore. Now days I use the synthetic nylogut type although I should take that guitar out of the closet and play it more often. Not enough space in our place or I would have all my guitars out for availability all the time.

User Info Menu

When I recently renewed my subscription to Classical Guitar Magazine, they sent me a free set of Martin Magnifico Hard Tension strings with the "nylgut" trebles. I put them on my old Asturias, and it totally brought it back to life! Check them out in the video below, let me know what you think.

In college I always used extra hard tension D'Addarios on this guitar since I played concert halls without amplification. That, combined with high action, meant that a full recital took a lot of strength. It got to the point where I really did not enjoy playing it.

After college I switched to normal tension for comfort. But these Martins have been something of a revelation. They are easily the highest tension set I've ever had on any guitar, offering great volume and clarity -- and also speed, which is very apparent with tremolo.

There are trade-offs in nuances of attack and vibrato, but since I lowered the bridge (not playing unamplified recitals any more) strength and endurance really aren't issues. Definitely not for every player or every guitar, but worth a try.