The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

There are various knee supports on the market to angle the guitar on your knee-examples:
    'A Frame Guitar Support' / 'Ergo Play' / 'Gitano' / 'Tenuto ' / Dynarett' etc. Which have you tried and you are happy with? I am looking for one which is sturdy--possibly one you can adjust the angle--and you can play with both feet on the floor. Are the suction types any good?

Incidently I did see a classical guitarist use some sort of guitar support, which angled the neck of the guitar, some sort of a frame, which was more substantial than a knee support. Anyone know what it was?

Many thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi,

I love the ErgoPlay Pro. It gives me enough adjustability to get a great neck angle, keep both feet flat on the floor and even tilt the guitar a little back towards me for fretboard visibility. The pad that sits on your left thigh does not slip so it gives you a firm hold on the instrument. As you described there are a lot of different versions of this device out there. I had to purchase several before I found the one I liked. One thing to watch with ErgoPlay: The dual suction cups that affix to the upper will be too wide for guitars smaller than 3 inches in depth. Even so, you have to purchase the smaller cups from the manufacturer and it just fits for 3 inches. Well worth the effort in my opinion. BTW, I have never had an issue with the suction cups damaging the finish on the guitar. I take the device off every day after my practice session. Some people have reported problems with french polish finishes. If you are worried, 3M or similar company makes a plastic sheet held in place by static electricity that you can affix to the mounting surface of the guitar to prevent direct contact with the suction cups. There is no "best" solution here. It will depend on what works for your body, posture, seating position etc.

Good luck
    Eric

User Info Menu

I used the little suction cup ones for years. They did the job, but I’d probably look into another design.

User Info Menu

+1 for the ErgoPlay. I use mine with a French polish, and I've never had issues. I can even use it on a MArtin with an open-pore finish. You want to clean the suction caps with a wet cloth every few weeks.

I had a Gitano, too; but I could never get the angle right. The guitar would tilt and the support would come off. But probably that's just me.

The frame the OP is talking about may be the Guitarlift, www.guitarlift.de.

User Info Menu

Based upon a few posts on this forum I purchased the Dynarette cushion to use with my jazz archtop. When I began studying classical guitar a little over a year ago, I began using the Dynarette with that guitar as well. It's comfortable, but requires some focus on keeping the guitar stable and balanced that the other systems might not. (I'd recommend the larger version if you go that route.) Candidly, though, I've started using the traditional foot rest and haven't found any ergonomic issues with the practice. I now mostly use the Dynarette when I don't have a foot rest available.

User Info Menu

Check out this video which reviews a number of support systems:

I like a cushion (check out Yifan on Amazon for $24) but if playing out it is more convenient to have something that fits in your guitar case.

User Info Menu

I bought the A-Frame MI, and it works pretty well. I don't use it a lot, because I prefer using a strap, plus I don't play the smaller guitars much these days, and I got it to use with them (14-15" thinlines). It's easy enough to adjust the angle by moving the suction cups around, and they attach securely enough while not marring the finish at all. I tried the Dynarette style, and couldn't use it because it's much too thick for me. I think this is a very subjective issue, and what works for one won't work well for another. You just have to try things and see if you like them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    You just have to try things and see if you like them.
    That's right. FWIW I've used the Dynarette (larger size) for many years and like it. Stability might seem an issue when you first try it, but you get used to it without trouble. Wish it fit in the case, though . . .

John R.

User Info Menu

I use the gitano and it works fine. I've had it for years without it leaving a mark on my classical, but if it was a very expensive or mint instrument I'd probably feel uneasy about the suction cups.. But I think all designs are similar?

Does the Gitano work when using on the right knee?--that is not holding the guitar the classical way but resting the guitar on the right knee only--as a jazz player would.
    Last edited by swingtoneman; 03-09-2019 at 05:21 PM. Reason: More info. added

User Info Menu

I used to use the Dynarette when toyed with the idea of playing classical, but I never use it with my archtop... maybe I should give it a try.

Many thanks guys for your replies-most helpful.

User Info Menu

I recommend the SageWork Umbra Adjustable Magnetic Barnett Guitar Support - Standard. It uses magnets to keep the support in place and is adjustable. The nice thing is you don’t have to mess with suction cups. It also fits in the case for portability.
    SageWork Umbra Adjustable Magnetic Barnett Guitar Support - Standard

User Info Menu

Here's a comparative guide to several support systems:

Best Guitar Support Guide : Strings By Mail

John R.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRoberts
    I recommend the SageWork Umbra Adjustable Magnetic Barnett Guitar Support - Standard. It uses magnets to keep the support in place and is adjustable. The nice thing is you don’t have to mess with suction cups. It also fits in the case for portability.

Interesting. I wonder about installing in an archtop guitar with f holes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by swingtoneman
    Does the Gitano work when using on the right knee?--that is not holding the guitar the classical way but resting the guitar on the right knee only--as a jazz player would.
    The "Neckup" guitar support works on the right knee. I am currently using it on steel string, classical and archtop guitars. I've tried many supports. This one has never come off the guitar. It's also the only one I've tried which works on any guitar 3" or greater in depth. I think they make a separate one for solid body electrics.

User Info Menu

Been looking at this one real seriously. It seems to work real well and is stable. My Brook Torridge does not have a strap button and I want to keep it un-altered. Also, I've read that the suction cup types leave marks on certain finishes. Pricey, but seem to be well worth it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    Been looking at this one real seriously.
    It’s worth a try. You can get your money back if you don’t like it.

Another advantage is that if you have multiple guitars you only need to buy the magnets for the second or third guitars and then you can move the support arm from guitar to guitar as needed. No need to stick and unstick suction cups to use a support on multiple guitars.

User Info Menu

I screwed up my knee in fairly short order with one of the stools. Like 3 months of practicing not that much gave me knee pain that has lasted a year.

I got the sagework Umbra which works great. No issues. I had the gitano which ultimately seems less professional...the suction cups come loose sometimes and the support isn't as good. But it's lower profile and can stay on the guitar.

User Info Menu

I praised the Ergoplay further up. I got myself a Dynarette in the meantime and I don‘t look back. It has the perfect size for me, doesn‘t cut into the leg (although it gets hot after a while) and I can use it with all my guitars, even with the Telecaster.

My duo partner, who has an Ergoplay, too, tried it the other day and didn‘t like it. For her, it felt too low. She has the neck in quite a steep angle, though, unlike myself. So I guess it all comes down to your personal habits and tastes once more.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

This is what I use, but the wooden model. It works great,

User Info Menu

I ordered a Gitano online, but I couldn't get with it. It was always either sliding down my leg or sliding off the guitar. And the footrest hurts my back, so I'm just using a strap. It keeps the guitar where I want it with no issues. Let the purists sneer.

User Info Menu

With the Gitane, you need to position it correctly. I took some time to find the correct spot.

Also the guitar must be wide enough and have a finish that allows the suction cups to stick. I'm quite happy with mine on my Flamenca with PU finish, but can't use it on my Martin (open pores) or my classical (Frensh polish).

User Info Menu

Another Chris Barnett aka Sageworks fan. I have bought additional inner magnets so I can easily transfer the outer rest to different guitars. I tried the suction cups, the cushion etc. but I stop looking after this rest.