Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

So here's what I'm looking for. A nylon hybrid/crossover:

- 48mm (or thinner), prefer radiused
    - prefer 14 fret, would take 12
    - cutaway
    - electronics
    - acoustic sound (not just elec) is important: solid spruce or cedar top
    - thinner than normal body (but not TOO thin, for the sound), maybe 3" give or take
    - more of a classical than steelstring appearance (classical tuners /slotted head, no inlays on fingerboard, no white plastic binding, etc) Modern or cool styling is ok, just as long as it doesn't look like a flat-top steel-string.

Maybe $1k, give or take a few hundred.

Seems like I can't find one with the right combination. I can find the right neck, but in a full body depth.
    Or I can find thinner bodies, but with a full classical neck (or 50mm). And there are lots of 'em that "look" like steel-string guitars.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don't know if you can find one, but I bought someone's brand new Martin crossover a few years back for $1,000 including the case. Outstanding guitar, and if I had more space I would play it more often, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    I don't know if you can find one, but I bought someone's brand new Martin crossover a few years back for $1,000 including the case. Outstanding guitar, and if I had more space I would play it more often, for sure.
    Thanks, that's a possibility, I'll have to check them out. But it really looks like a steel-string body.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    So here's what I'm looking for...classical tuners /slotted head, no inlays on fingerboard, no white plastic binding...
    Not sure what you mean about looking like a steel string, but you listed the above. It ticks off those boxes.

User Info Menu

I make nylon string guitars very close to your specs. 47.5 at the nut, radiused 16" fingerboard, modern "C" neck, 14 fret, cutaway, SBT and floating magnetic pickup (as an option). I don't think you can say it looks like a typical Martin steel string. Part of the reason I build it is because I really don't know of anyone else doing anything similar. Unfortunately, it is about 3x your budget.

But FWIW here it is:
    Attached Images Attached Images Looking for a hybrid/crossover Guitar-img_0079-jpg Looking for a hybrid/crossover Guitar-closeup-jpg 

Not sure what you mean about looking like a steel string, but you listed the above. It ticks off those boxes.
    Body style.

User Info Menu

One of many options...

I have a Kenny Hill model that was built in Mexico years ago. Now his offshore guitars are built in China, I believe. Both are excellent values, imho, and very nice guitars.

No electronics, though. You'd have to add something like a K&K Sound pickup.

You can find used ones around for under $1000 from time to time. I did.

Looking for a hybrid/crossover Guitar-nw-f-jpg

another model, not the one pictured above:
    Kenny Hill New World Estudio E650-Cutaway

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    One of many options...

I have a Kenny Hill model that was built in Mexico years ago. Now his offshore guitars are built in China, I believe. Both are excellent values, imho, and very nice guitars.

No electronics, though. You'd have to add something like a K&K Sound pickup.

You can find used ones around for under $1000 from time to time. I did.

Looking for a hybrid/crossover Guitar-nw-f-jpg

another model, not the one pictured above:
    Kenny Hill New World Estudio E650-Cutaway

Good luck!
    Thanks, but I don't see a thinner body there.

I had a Cordoba Fusion 14 that was perfect, except for the full-depth body. (Mine was rosewood instead of maple.) I just wish they made a thinner version.

Looking for a hybrid/crossover Guitar-cordoba-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Thanks, but I don't see a thinner body there.
    Oops. Missed that spec!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Thanks, I appreciate it. But I've looked at those, they all have a wide, flat 2" nut.

I find that very odd, that ALL of their thin body models have full classical necks. Conversely, all of their narrower crossover necks have a FULL body. Doesn't make sense to me, if anything, it's backwards.

Found this that checks the boxes, but I'm worried abut the quality/sound. Seems pretty cheap.

Fender CN-140SCE - Natural | Sweetwater

User Info Menu

Nylons built by Breedlove and Taylor meet your specifications. If you are patient, you can get a late 90, used, top-of-the-line USA made Taylor or Breedlove for around $1000 (give or take) on Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B
    Nylons built by Breedlove and Taylor meet your specifications. If you are patient, you can get a late 90, used, top-of-the-line USA made Taylor or Breedlove for around $1000 (give or take) on Ebay.
    Thanks. Those have been on my radar, but I've never seen a thinner-body model.

User Info Menu

Woody, short of the Paul McGill Super Ace and Kirk Sands, I don't know of any that fits your requirements and under $1000. Perhaps you could contact one of the Paracho, Mexico luthiers and have him do an interpretation of the Super Ace. Francisco Navarro is the biggest name in Paracho and he probably has someone in his family or circle who is a less well-known luthier and can do it for $1000 and under. Francisco Navarro Garcia (Official)

I was checking out his website again. You could probably ask for a student flamenco with a shallower depth and narrower radiussed fretboard. Flamenco guitars are great as crossover nylon string guitars as they have shorter sustain, faster note attack and lower action.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 11-17-2018 at 12:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Yamaha made a nice nylon string hybrid in their APX series. They went from APX6NA to APX10NA, each model getting more expensive with upgraded features and wood. I've owned an APX10NA for many years and it has proven to be a great sounding and relatively easy playing guitar. Very good quality, even on their lower end models.

The body width is 3".

These are pretty great guitars and fall within your budget. I have a godin mulitac nylon (same parent company) but I took a serious look at these.

LaPatrie Arena Mahogany CW

Quote Originally Posted by rhoadsscholar
    These are pretty great guitars and fall within your budget. I have a godin mulitac nylon (same parent company) but I took a serious look at these.

LaPatrie Arena Mahogany CW
    Thanks RS. But I had looked at those, and I believe they have a pretty standard wide neck. (Albeit radiused.) I would like to find something around 1.75" / 1-3/4".