The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Clair de lune Debussy (guitare)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This guy's worked out a way to get some of that range without transposition.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Durban
    Clair de lune Debussy (guitare)

Who is the virtuoso female classical guitarist performing Clair De Lune?

She is absolutely brilliant!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Herron
    Who is the virtuoso female classical guitarist performing Clair De Lune?

She is absolutely brilliant!
    That's none other than Roxane Elfasci the French classical guitarist. Yeah she's something.

David

User Info Menu

There are a couple really good transcriptions out there, one by Jack Marshall is in the Christopher Parkening collection and the one she plays I think is the James Bishop-Edwards arrangement
    Clair de Lune | James Bishop-Edwards
    . Both are REALLY tough but beautifully arranged. I've wanted to be able to play this forever but the stretches are beyond me to play cleanly-ha ha.
    David

User Info Menu

Wow
    Phenomenonal

That section at 1.10 ..... how is that even possible
    The double octave thing , beautiful

Ps is the whole guitar tuned down a semitone ?

User Info Menu

wow, that IS amazing. I mean, I laughed out loud several times, not derisively, but in that complete sense of delight that only something like this can bring.

She's great, just complete command. so who is she? who'd she study with? I mean, it's kind of weird to run across something at this level that you never heard of, you'd think there'd be a Naxos or GSP disc or something, not just a clip or two buried in the dross of youtube. Searches just turn up the same two clips.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=TruthHertz;869953]This guy's worked out a way to get some of that range without transposition.

David................. Kozo is cheating its much easier with eleven strings.

Jokes aside both players are marvelous

User Info Menu

and then there is this one.

ya, off topic.
    but she is really great

User Info Menu

This is another nice arrangement of Clair De Lune that is suitable for us mere mortals. Arrangement is by Bridget Mermikides. Classical Guitar Compendium Volume 1

Amazon.com: The Classical Guitar Compendium - Classical Masterpieces Arranged for Solo Guitar: Standard Notation Edition (No Tablature) (0888680088668): Bridget Mermikides: Books

User Info Menu

Some serious cheating going on here: Or is it even more challenging to work as part of a seamless duo?

David

User Info Menu

Her posture with the guitar and her right hand technique are unusual. Not that this seems to hold her back in any way! She holds it like she is dancing with it. Very emotive music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Her posture with the guitar and her right hand technique are unusual. Not that this seems to hold her back in any way! She holds it like she is dancing with it. Very emotive music.
    Cello position. It's used by an increasing number of players who find it facilitates fret spans easier. Paul Galbraith, Redmond O'Toole, John Stowell are all players of different genres and repertoire who play "upright".

Especially for extended range instruments, it allows pivots across a wider fingerboard. Clarity of fretting and articulation are stronger as the orientation of the hand and thumb are changed.

David
    Last edited by TH; 10-16-2018 at 12:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Great thread,

I've had this piece on my to-do list for some time. To explore it and see if it was possible to make it sound good on guitar.
    I like to do my own transcriptions and "Clair de Lune" is obviously a challange because of the wide range and the tight intervals.

I listen to a piano recording, bar by bar and try out different finger arrangements to make it sound true...and this piece sounds fantastic on guitar and is great fun! Progress is good so far...

This thread was the kick start I needed, thanks guys.

(By the way, the cello position is also good for the right hand, that gets in a natural relaxed position. A boat anchor Les Paul is perfect, because it naturally gravitates to the cello position and the small body rests comfortably in the lap. Try it.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JCat
    Great thread,

I've had this piece on my to-do list for some time. To explore it and see if it was possible to make it sound good on guitar.
    There's a Jack Marshall transcription that's in the volume 2 Christopher Parkening collection. Challenging but absolutely beautiful. I used it as a starting point and then used the added range of my 7 string to transpose some passages.
    By the way, I shelved this version for years because the stretches were impossible for me to play cleanly, and now I'm using Cello position with it and, yes, it's opened up the possibilities in a dramatic way.

David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    There's a Jack Marshall transcription that's in the volume 2 Christopher Parkening collection. Challenging but absolutely beautiful. I used it as a starting point and then used the added range of my 7 string to transpose some passages.
    By the way, I shelved this version for years because the stretches were impossible for me to play cleanly, and now I'm using Cello position with it and, yes, it's opened up the possibilities in a dramatic way.

David
    Thanks, I'll give it a try myself first. When I stumble and fall I'll cheat by looking at other peoples cheats, or "solutions". Because this is what it's about, resolving the keyboard to the fretboard. Some intervals and chords/arpeggios are impossible the way it's written on piano. But the only thing that matters (to me) is that the music sounds true. I'm playing the guitar, not a piano, and I want it to sound as good as possible within the limitations of my instrument and my technique. (I hope Debussy can forgive me).

I have transcribed Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. (Moonlight seems to be a major source of inspiration in the piano community) and I was surprised how good it sounds, almost like it was originally written on guitar. But obviously there are solutions required to make it possible.

I play 6-strings only, when I feel brave enough some day I may try one more string...

User Info Menu

Mission completed! I've used Martin Jones Piano recording (Nimbus Records) for reference. Now I shall document and practice and eventually record it...

User Info Menu

Just amazing. Thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

That was great! Beautiful tone and performance

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Wow
    Phenomenonal

That section at 1.10 ..... how is that even possible
    The double octave thing , beautiful

Ps is the whole guitar tuned down a semitone ?
    Yes, the sheet music says it is tuned down a half tone. The section at 1:10 is not actually the worst. I've been able to get through that semi-cleanly. The one I never get right is when she plucks an artificial harmonic holding down the first string fifth fret, second string seventh fret simultaneously. You need all four right hand fingers, two to hold the two different harmonic points, two to pluck. And you know that you have to release the points immediately after plucking for them to be audible. THAT May be possible, but I've failed over a hundred times so far. It is about at 3:36. I'd join a support group of sufferers who are trying to play this arrangement. There's other stretches too, like 3-2-1 string stretch to frets 4-8-7. With stretching exercises you might be able to get it, but to cleanly move to it and on to the next position?

User Info Menu

Elfasci is a very lyrical and emotive musician. I just keep wondering what are they feeding those CG's in Europe that we're not eating here in the States. Five Stars!
    Play live . . . Marinero