The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

I'm playing an acoustic electric nylon string in small rooms...mostly small rest and coffee house with an occasional wedding. (Some classical, standards, Bossa). I'm looking at the Roland AC-60, Ultrasound 50 and a few others. I've read that the Ibanez TB is a great alternative for far less. Anyone have any experience or recommendations? Also, has anyone played an Artcore on a Roland AC? Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Let me throw another amp into your list. The JazzKat is a 110 watt, 2 channel, 23 lb, ss amp that has some onboard effects. I only use the first channel, but the second has a multi plug for using either 1/4" or XLR. It is supposed to be more balanced for vocals, and I have heard of guys using it for their nylon string guitars to good effect.

I love mine, and use it weekly for my solo gig and in a trio setting, both with my Gibbo archtops. Here is their link.

Jazzkat Amplifiers

Looking at their site, it seems they have changed up their models some. I may have to sell my original JazzKat and get the TomKat, with tube pre and ss power, best of both worlds! Happy hunting.

Thanks Derek. I visited the site and their specs are right on. Any dealers out there or do you deal directly with them? Thanks again.
    Mike

User Info Menu

Good way.
    1 PA direct.
    2 Powerd speaker.

Important:Hi-Fi

User Info Menu

What's your price range. I liked the AER series and the AI with a raezors edge or even their Corus Model.

However some people here (TDD) swear by the CUB. I'm going to look at that one myself.

The nylon string I use right now is a Yamaha C171 with the mike/peizo combo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kawa
    Good way.
    1 PA direct.
    2 Powerd speaker.

Important:Hi-Fi
    I agree with Kawa. In my guitarduo we started using nylonstring (thinlines with piezos). We have the best results with a small PA: a simple Behringer mixer with digital effects (the 1204FX model I think) and two powered speakers (cheap Sky-Tecs, 300W, 12"). With this simple budget installation we get a very good sound!

Normal guitar amps don't work as well, since they have a limited frequency range that is mid-focused. Hi-Fi is the keyword.

User Info Menu

I agree with the small pa route as being the best.

And you could also go old school and use a mic on the guitar since it looks like you're going low volume and feedback might not be an issue. I prefer the sound of a nylon string guitar through a mic through a pa over any other set-up I've heard.

However, I just have a piezo installed, if I had a mic/piezo like John has, then I'd use the internal mic.
    Last edited by fep; 06-22-2009 at 09:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Oh yes !
    Also I using small PA(Mackie SRM350 and DFX-6) for Yamaha apx-10n and fold-back monitor(keybord-amp:Peavey KB-1)

Best regards
    Last edited by kawa; 06-22-2009 at 10:48 AM.

User Info Menu

I have an Ibanez T-20 which is a very good amp--use it with my Alvarez classical A/E, also use it for my Epi archtop.

I play mainly at home; if I were going to gig with it, I'd probably get the T-35. Very clean sound, also has decent reverb and chorus.

User Info Menu

Phil Jones CUB. Best acoustic amp ever.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bkdavidson
    Phil Jones CUB. Best acoustic amp ever.
    I agree but did you tried them with nylon strings?

User Info Menu

Yes. The amp works perfectly for any kind of acoustic/jazz guitar.

User Info Menu

Bose L1 for larger spaces. AC60 is very nice, Crate Limo for battery power on boats, garden weddings, etc.

User Info Menu

I just got an AC 90 and so far I like it, but not enough time yet to really recommend it (I am actually still shopping for the nylon/acoustic that I will play through it).

One thing I will say is that the input/output options allow you to do a lot of different things. There is the guitar channel of course, but the other channel takes a mic (both types) and so you would have the option of playing either plugged in or mic'ed to the second channel depending on what works best in the situation. If you happened to be doing a guitar duo, each guitar could have its own channel (a guitar and a singer is also an option). And if you are recording, the outputs allow two-channel output.

The big difference from the AC 60 is that there are two main speakers and two tweeters. (And it actually comes with a relatively nice carrying case.)

User Info Menu

Are there jazz guitarists who use nylon strings and get a more traditional jazz electric sound ? I heard that there are nylon strings with metal filings in them that work with magnetic pickups, are they for guitars ?

User Info Menu

Pete Oxley, here in the UK, gets a great sound from a Godin-style nylon string guitar thru an AER Alpha amp, iirc ...

User Info Menu

I just read that Lenny Breau played nylon strings quite a bit too, can you point me to these albums ?

User Info Menu

Try :

Lenny Breau-Cabin Fever

Guitarchives GTR-0002

He plays a Ramirez guitar. Looking at the photo in the insert, I would say a model 1A.

User Info Menu

am using a polytone for my Godin multiac grand concert, it works well, allthough I would love to have an AER.

User Info Menu

If you sing also, you might check out the Bose rig for soloists. Same money as AER, more bang for the buck.