The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    I actually really miss your youtube demo's, RP! I still remember the one you did comparing your Gibson, to an Eastman, and finally to a Forsage (?) You also had a video on how to approach the strings on an archie--more people should watch that video!

Do more demos--they are always helpful!
    he's old now. I remember in 2007 or so he was on youtube playing some George Benson on a D'Addario EXL-1. that was a lifetime ago.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I played Bossa on a number of Godins but eventually ditched them for a Mexican Navarro flamenco negra which felt and sounded about as "trad" as I've ever managed. Lately I've started playing a lot of Bossa things again but on one of my archtops strung with TI swing 11s, I'm beginning to think that a good acoustic archtop is not a bad alternative.

I agree its tough buying a trad classical or flamenco without playing it first. All the DiGiorgios I've played (in Brasil) were real dogs, and expensive dogs at that. Kenny Hills, the older Navarros are fairly reliable, I've also played a few Aparicio's that I thought were great values. If one had to buy a nylon string acoustic online, Yamaha might possibly be the answer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Herron
    I would recommend that you never buy a guitar unless you play it first.
    That's the best advice you'll hear on this forum.

John R.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jrethorst
    That's the best advice you'll hear on this forum.

John R.
    I've heard that repeated on this forum. There are most often better buys outside ones local vicinity. Not using the internet as a resource is akin to living in the stone ages. Different strokes

User Info Menu

I play a lot of Bossa Nova and I use an Alhambra 3F that I have for more than 20 years with Savarez 520R strings.

You can buy a new for around £400 and it sounds great for Bossa Nova and any Brazilian MPB.

Of course you better try it first.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Sergio and Eduardo Abreu used to play as an excellent classical guitar duo in the 1970s but gave up performing I believe. I have a couple of great records by them. Sergio then became a guitar maker. Some people have all the talent!
    I remember the Abreu Brothers...they were frighteningly virtuosic. I did not know they quit performing and that Sergio became a little. I saw them in Cleveland in the 1970's. Dick Lurie, a guitar studio owner and the Cleveland Orchestra's guitarists promoted seasonal series of the top guitarists of the day: Segovia, Bream (solo in Severance Hall...imagine), Narcisco Yepes, John Williams, Abreu Bros, Romero family, etc. A great time to live in Cleveland.

If Sergio's lutherie skills match his performing talent, that says everything.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sdguitar
    I'm looking to get a new classical guitar and would like some advice. I've been playing guitar for 10 years and recently started playing bossa nova on my steel string acoustic. I'd like to upgrade to a quality classical guitar.

I was originally considering the cordoba c9 but realised I wanted spruce instead of cedar after watching videos and listening to the sound. I've also been looking at more vintage guitars like the di giorgio and giannini models that were played by bossa nova "pioneers". This is intriguing to me because I know these guitars have the exact sound I'm looking for.

Is it worthwhile to buy an older vintage guitar on reverb or ebay, or should I play it safe and buy a newer cordoba c9 or something similar?
    My advice is to travel to known good classical guitar shops, play everything on the wall, and buy your favorite for your budget. They all differ...they're not planks of wood but true instruments with quirks and strengths. Play two of the same model from a high end maker and you will notice differences leading to a preference. Play before you pay.

User Info Menu

Cedar or Spruce? 7 string or 6 string? Narrow neck or standard? Unless you're buying an electric model where it is not critical to your sound with the possibilities of different pickups and amplifier controls, always buy a solid wood guitar from a respectable builder. The rest should be based on YOUR preferences, not those of others. On a personal note, Bossa can be played on any guitar, but my preference is Spanish red cedar with Brazilian Rosewood back and sides. For my ears, it provides the greatest tonal palette and the sound I prefer. Good playing . . . Marinero
    P.S. Here's a great link to tonewoods. https://www.londonguitarstudio.com › classical-guitar-tone-woods-guide
    Last edited by Marinero; 09-23-2019 at 10:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar

But anyway, the Grand Concert model does have acoustic sound. It's thin and quiet compared to a full-on acoustic classical, but it definitely lets you sit around and play. Some of the other Multiac models have poor to no acoustic sound, being essentially solid bodies, but the Grand Concert is Godin's attempt at a quasi-proper electric classical. So it has the full size nut and neck dimensions that one would expect, and a usable acoustic tone for practicing.
    This is worth repeating. It lacks a bit of depth in the bass, but it's probably as loud as a cheap laminate classical, so more than enough volume for practice.

Maybe more importantly, to me, it "reacts" like an acoustic guitar, which is really cool. It's a VERY cool guitar, one I'll be hanging on to probably forever.

User Info Menu

The $80 plywood Yamaha sounds pretty amazing. particularly with a decent setup.

The thing with classical guitars is I think they all sound pretty good. Some sound better than most but pretty much all sound good.

I can't really believe how good cheap yamahas are. It's kinda gross.

User Info Menu

The best Bossa guitar for many is the one they're playing. For a truly discriminate and demanding ear, it could take a long time to find the "right" guitar. Good playing . . . Marinero