The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 130

User Info Menu

It's not right .....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

WTF is wrong with people? Why can't they just play NORMAL instruments?

User Info Menu

Sits rather like my neck heavy SG when i have the strap too short!

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    It's not right .....

User Info Menu

He looks really cool.

User Info Menu

Hi,

Here's a great and very challenging transcription. I love it.

Starts at 5:15

Bach For Guitar-137163-jpg

User Info Menu

I will concede that man is very good on the guitar, also the Goldberg sounds great... I think keyboard music sounds good on guitar as it has that harpsichord like quality in some respects, but with a lot more expressive possibilities.

Obviously it is very hard to play, much harder than the solo string music.

I wonder if it would be playable on a lute....

User Info Menu

I’ve started using the cello suites to work on picking and reading as it’s more interesting than most guitar exercises. I know nothing about the music or context, it’s just for fun (even though I’ve been taught one does not play Bach for fun ).

User Info Menu

Bach through stereo Katanas! Nice. Of course, I would get tangled up in all the cords and gear and my wife would have to come in with wire cutters to get me out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roberoo
    Bach through stereo Katanas! Nice. Of course, I would get tangled up in all the cords and gear and my wife would have to come in with wire cutters to get me out.
    Haha, that’s a funny image, Roberoo. Actually, after hooking everything up, ready to go I could not understand why there was no sound. I had forgotten to plug my guitar into the whole mess.

You’re are right Christian77, I feel ashamed now.

User Info Menu

Attempting this very tempting piece for solo flute on guitar:

User Info Menu

Derek Gripper has some nice arrangements of the violin sonatas and partitas, using different tunings and capos.

But I learned from this thread that you shouldn't play Bach on the guitar, or Bach in general, or really just music in general.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dasein
    Derek Gripper has some nice arrangements of the violin sonatas and partitas, using different tunings and capos.

But I learned from this thread that you shouldn't play Bach on the guitar, or Bach in general, or really just music in general.
    Derek Gripper is doing daily zoom classes, mostly on his african stuff, a little Bach. He also has a podcast about the Bach. He tends to get dug into one educational project then another. But I've gotten a ton out of the zoom lessons. Just amazing to be able to hang with a master on a daily basis and I love the way he approaches the guitar. Really affordable. It's a group of 20 or so but everyone is muted so you just play on your own but he is a fabulous teacher. Highly recommended.

User Info Menu

I like Bach on any instrument if it’s played well...

User Info Menu

Lute suite BWV 997 played on the instrument Bach actually wrote it for, which is why it is so bloody difficult on guitar

Same with 998, Prelude, Fugue & Allegro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BWV
    Lute suite BWV 997 played on the instrument Bach actually wrote it for, which is why it is so bloody difficult on guitar

Same with 998, Prelude, Fugue & Allegro

Well... it is still much under discussion. I am much into lute playing and Bach is one of the topis that is always in argument.

THey discuss which insturment of the period to choose: baroque lute or Italian archlute. The fact that Bach was German and knew Weiss pushes into direction of the baroque lute which was common in France and Germany was days.
    But there was no standard and archlutes/attiobatos in renaissance tuning were universal instrument all over Europe (sort of portable harpsichord)

Some lutists play it in oroginal keys (Vasily Antipov insists that it was all written for baroque tuning and sould be played on it in original keys and I like his playing- but he has exceptional phpysical possibilities - not everone can do that). Others make transpositions - not in the same keys by the way and so on and so on

998 on a single-strung archlute in A (that is renaissance tuning) performed by Luciano Contini

And on double-course baroque lute in baroque lute tuning (open d minor) by Hopkinson Smith

User Info Menu

Is it any easier on either instrument?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Is it any easier on either instrument?
    I do not know... but technically some pieces are very challenging in baroque lute tuning in original key.

Bach owned two lutes according to posthumous inventory among many many other instruments.
    No evidence he played them but he definitely could play viol and violin families instruments and traverso flute... besides keyboards of course.

If you love Galbraith's book on the Bach Inventions, take a look at the work of Michael Schmolke:

Bach-Inventionen fur Gitarre | Start

This is not only about getting the pieces right on the guitar. It is also about understanding the compositions, especially from the perspective of the jazz guitarist. What scales and progressions are the pieces based on? How do you approach improvising over an invention?

In contrast to the Galbraith edition, the keys here are chosen so that all pieces can be played in standard tuning.
    The scores also include fingerings and tablature.
    For each invention a harmonic analysis is offered, which can be traced in the form of a newly composed third guitar part. This third voice can also be used as a playback for own improvisations on harmonies and form of the Invention.

Check it out!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spassbeisaite
    If you love Galbraith's book on the Bach Inventions, take a look at the work of Michael Schmolke:

Bach-Inventionen fur Gitarre | Start

This is not only about getting the pieces right on the guitar. It is also about understanding the compositions, especially from the perspective of the jazz guitarist. What scales and progressions are the pieces based on? How do you approach improvising over an invention?

In contrast to the Galbraith edition, the keys here are chosen so that all pieces can be played in standard tuning.
    The scores also include fingerings and tablature.
    For each invention a harmonic analysis is offered, which can be traced in the form of a newly composed third guitar part. This third voice can also be used as a playback for own improvisations on harmonies and form of the Invention.

Check it out!

Thanks for the tip on this. I've been working through Galbraith's book, helped by the COVID lockdown earlier this year. I'm trying to memorize all the Guitar 2 parts in the book as I find they hold up very well as solo guitar pieces, and I now have 4 of the inventions memorized. Looks like Book 2 would be a good continuation of these studies.

User Info Menu

This is almost becoming standard concert rep

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BWV
    This is almost becoming standard concert rep

About that piece I personally doubt that it is Bach at all (even probably not his contempopary- for me it sounds more like later falsification)

User Info Menu

Incredible playing, but for me the piece does not really work for guitar. Not being a purist; in fact, I prefer the Stokowski transcription to the original organ version. The piece needs more low end than you can get out of a guitar.

This the best music story I know. A musicologist was examining some original Bach manuscripts and kept noting some enharmonic notes that Bach would not normally write. At first he could not figure it out but he noticed he was only reading one page at a time. when he grouped the original manuscripts with several pages out at the same time on a large table the enharmonic notes formed the visual image of a Cross!!! Bach is the man who said The Greatest Use Of Music Is To Glorify God!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steve burchfield
    This the best music story I know. A musicologist was examining some original Bach manuscripts and kept noting some enharmonic notes that Bach would not normally write. At first he could not figure it out but he noticed he was only reading one page at a time. when he grouped the original manuscripts with several pages out at the same time on a large table the enharmonic notes formed the visual image of a Cross!!! Bach is the man who said The Greatest Use Of Music Is To Glorify God!!!
    I almost live in Bachs music (not guitar or lute only) but I never heard this story...
    Although it sounds quite realistic... do you by any chance know the piece of music it was about?

PS
    Bruckner was also the guy wo could write on the score "For Dear God" and whe you listen ou really understand that it is a true devotion

User Info Menu

I think Heinrich Biber’s Rosary Sonatas have musical crosses written into them. And the violin uses ‘crossed’ tuning?