The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 130

User Info Menu

It is a fact that St Matthew‘s Passion has a growing number of crosses as the action proceeds towards the crucifixion.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

there were 'conventional figures' like 'cross motive' often recognizable by the audience - essentially it is appogiatura ( B-A-C-H is a cross motiv in a very dense chromatic form) and others...

But what is essential in Bach for me (as well as later in Mozart) that he created extremely complex language which is a combination of conventional idioms: like different fixed motives (assending of descenting), chromatis,, mentioned 'cross motive' and many others, genre references (extemely important and often underestimated elkement of language), direct contextual references as recognizebale quotes from chorals or other works, the allusions to his own choral work in his instrumental work ...
    and all that is involved into purely MUSICAL language where key changes, modulations, rythm and harmonic shifts, motivic interactions, texture and colour of instruments - above all harmonic movement represented through it all - creates very complex and vivd structure of meanings that creates in turn a convincing feel of truth and reality.
    If you wan to become a Christian and you are musically and artistically sensitive there is nothing more convincing than music of Bach - it will make you believe in reality of it more than anything else.

Form me music is not an abstract beauty - it is the beauty of the meanings...

Earlier I used to read books... there was Schweitzer, there was an outstanding Boleslav Yavorsky - Russian muscologist who was one of the first to offer 'decipher' the meanings of Bachs works... and who even made a quite particular Evandelistic references to many of Bach work (with arguments and explanation). He did not make books and his works were published many years later after his death wit hthe help of his students' records.

Some 20 years ago there was also a book byt a late Kedryashev 'Theory of Musical Contents" that covered many of the topics discussed above.

there was a huge topic of my dear friend Boris Yoffe (probably greatest living composer) - covered with a bunch of articles and dicussions as 'Musical semantics' and finally a brilliant book on Bach - not pubished - ABCH... (actually I saw no other book that had so much connection between the meanings and msuic itself without going into scientific theorysization/objectivity - without any references to other books (that he never read) just you and the score and the music and the great language of it.

Nevertheless it is still almost impossible to talk with musicians about meanings of music... it causes often superficial arguments that music has no meaning, that it is pure beauty, that we should not talk about music...

And the quantity of nmeaningless performances grows and grows and - to be honest the further we are the worse it looks to me

User Info Menu

A different take on this.

John
    johnhallguitar.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnhall
    A different take on this.

John
    johnhallguitar.com
    I really like this approach. It made me think of this (in terms of being a completely different take on Bach):

I also love the low-key playing of Bach in the above vid with the family background noise.

User Info Menu

Have come to the opinion that playing straight 8ths in Bach should be an exception, not the rule

User Info Menu

There are a few problems with this - the main one being the slightly staccato/clipped phrasing at the beginning, oddly enough this is the easiest part, but for some reason I just tend to slip into that kind of phrasing, although not so much when the A section repeats.

I really love this suite and spend hours every day practising it.
    Last edited by James W; 06-29-2022 at 05:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Well done, that fugue is a bit of a monster to get through in one pass! I have hacked my way through it a few times but that’s all.

Sure you had some hesitations on some of the awkward position changes, and I think the voices should overlap more smoothly at the beginning (as you said), but it’s really a good effort, I’m impressed.

Funnily enough I had a bit of a classical guitar workout today and I played the prelude and allegro (not very fast!) from 998. Skipped the fugue though! Maybe I’ll have a go at it tomorrow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Well done, that fugue is a bit of a monster to get through in one pass! I have hacked my way through it a few times but that’s all.

Sure you had some hesitations on some of the awkward position changes, and I think the voices should overlap more smoothly at the beginning (as you said), but it’s really a good effort, I’m impressed.

Funnily enough I had a bit of a classical guitar workout today and I played the prelude and allegro (not very fast!) from 998. Skipped the fugue though! Maybe I’ll have a go at it tomorrow.
    Thanks! Yeah, the fugue does need stamina, and I definitely need a solid few more months chipping away at it (years if I want it to be really good).

Although the music is difficult, at the same time it still sounds nice even if you're just reading through it, I find. I can't yet play the allegro fast, about quaver = 120 but this young girl plays it at around quaver = 140 and still sounds good, so I'm not too far off!

User Info Menu

I had my first lesson with a new teacher on Saturday. My right-hand technique needs some basic attention to improve finger independence and divest myself of extraneous movement. I need (I'm told) to search for a right-hand position that allows a straight line from the arm to the pinky on the right-hand side of the hand to enable blood-flow between the wrist and the fingers. In the above video you can see I haven't yet managed to adjust to all of these suggestions; and while not perfect, I still think I can play it better than I could do some time ago. But I am going to keep trying to implement my teacher's instructions regarding the right hand.

User Info Menu

Latest attempt:

User Info Menu

Nice one James. That is a big piece!

I did lots of Bach for my exams and probably lost marks because of it as there were easier pieces that I could have done. The challenge is great though.

There's a lady from the Ukraine whom I previously did a duet with. Last night she forwarded about 40 pages of duets including lots of Bach. We will start with the minuets and work our way through.

Bach was so ahead of his time. Just from the pieces that I looked at last night one was in 9/16 time and I saw several instances of backcycling. Five of five.

Bach the jazz cat

User Info Menu

Yes - I find Bach can be quite tantalising in that it doesn't take a great deal of effort to get it sounding ok-ish, but the more you play it paradoxically the deeper the realisation of the technical complexities involved and the amount of work necessary to overcome them!

What pieces/exams did you do if you don't mind me asking, Liarspoker?

User Info Menu

This guy kills me:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James W
    What pieces/exams did you do if you don't mind me asking, Liarspoker?
    I can't remember all of them but I know that I did the Bouree in Em, the 995 Gavotte. I remember doing a Sarabande, the 997 I think.

I also practised a few Bach pieces to see if I would do them for the exam and these included the 1006 Bouree and the Gigue found at Trinity grade 7 level. Can't remember where that one came from.

Then of course the Bach pieces payed for fun.

User Info Menu

Raphael is great - but have you heard Sean Shibe?

(though they could've gone easy on the reverb)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat
    This guy kills me:

Bach..it is music of the gods..It takes me to a place of wonder..joy..and beauty..some of his work bring tears

if he were alive today..and played guitar.(electric) in a band..how would he be accepted ..jazz..fusion..progressive rock

or something else..a new category.. i would hope--beyond classification

all the theory and analysis would be useless-not necessary..who cares what notes he is playing in bar 26..it is just a spirit letting you see its majesty and lightness of being

in a world seemingly gone mad..here is a cure that only requires your full attention and let your defenses rest..here you need not be a believer

let the press and media be banned..this is not a news cycle event or an artist display of talent

it is peace and the beauty of silence hidden between the notes

User Info Menu

Yes, it's this Bach Prelude yet again. But this time by comparison with previous videos of mine is free of mistakes - not 100%, but where it counts, mostly.

User Info Menu

Can someone explain where the transcription of the lute suites in original keys are found . Everything I find is arranged for guitar. I know the history a bit , but honestly don’t find a book for Lute Suites , like you do with The Chorales or The Well Tempered Clavier.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chad26
    Can someone explain where the transcription of the lute suites in original keys are found . Everything I find is arranged for guitar. I know the history a bit , but honestly don’t find a book for Lute Suites , like you do with The Chorales or The Well Tempered Clavier.
    A request for Mr MacKillop?

User Info Menu

Did someone mention my name?

Setting aside why it would be slightly mad to play Bach’s lute music in its original keys - something even Bach didn’t contemplate - here are some things

Well, you can get the Gm suite in its original form here: Suite in G minor, BWV 995 (Bach, Johann Sebastian) - IMSLP: Free Sheet Music PDF Download - the version from the Belgian Royal Library.

Cm prelude: Prelude in C minor, BWV 999 (Bach, Johann Sebastian) - IMSLP: Free Sheet Music PDF Download

PFA: Prelude, Fugue and Allegro in E-flat major, BWV 998 (Bach, Johann Sebastian) - IMSLP: Free Sheet Music PDF Download

IV lute Suite: https://s9.imslp.org/files/imglnks/u..._autograph.pdf

That lot took me five minutes to find. I’ll let you do the rest.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chad26
    This features facsimiles of the original manuscripts -

Bach Solo Lute Works for Guitar : Frank Koonce, Johann Sebastian Bach: Amazon.co.uk: Books

User Info Menu

There’s a Bach Digital site which has facsimiles:

Bach digital - Start

E.g. enter Bwv 995, follow the link for object found (Suite in g for lute), then click on Original Sources (Score).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James W
    thanks .
    You inspired me on that 998. I guess it’s originally E flat . Really wanted to start digging in a bit. What you are doing learning the real beautiful guitar stuff is way better. Having a teacher and all. I’m sure my fingerings would drive a teacher nuts , but I am almost 60. It will be a very long process this 998 . Does anyone know the name of The British guy who recorded complete Lute suite on 7 string. ? His own arrangements if I remember . Probably does original keys.

User Info Menu

Bach’s lute music was written on/for the lautenwerck - a gut string harpsichord, not the lute, so if you want to play the original, need to up your keyboard chops

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BWV;[URL="tel:1234434"
    1234434[/URL]]Bach’s lute music was written on/for the lautenwerck - a gut string harpsichord, not the lute, so if you want to play the original, need to up your keyboard chops

yes i was aware it was written for a specific keyboard . I Read that original score or early transcription would be grand staff . So I guess I just wondered where the sheet would be for BWV 998 in e flat maj, grand staff . I did get into the prelude a bit tonight and its not super hard. No I won’t ever have chops for the whole thing probably . I do play guitar and keyboard a lot . Started keyboard super late in life . Love the struggle though . Great joy….thanks for reply . I will check out the vid.