The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

Just got the book in the mail, thanks for the inspiration

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Let us know how you get on with the studies, guys.

User Info Menu

My final recording, finally one in a major key - like sunshine breaking through. This one is 100% in E major, no accidentals or modulations, and has a folky feel to me. It was very enjoyable to play - I tried to play without glancing at the fretboard, but once or twice couldn't resist.

So, five pieces from 57...I'll keep playing them, as they are good for my technique, and I'll keep reading new ones, which is good for sight-reading purposes.

User Info Menu

I've mostly used it as sight reading just going through cover to cover. Will then go back and focus in on ones I like.

User Info Menu

Try doing it without looking at your fretting hand - quite tricky at times. He does like to leap about. But that's part of the study.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    In the very first etude (Am, #1), bar 6, there seems to be a small error --- the G above the staff, fourth finger, surely must be on the second string, not the fourth as indicated.
    Yes, most definitely the second string.

User Info Menu

Rob, I've come across your videos about this book "Linear Etudes" and I'm now curious about another book in the serie called "Achieving Guitar Artistry - Triads".

The reason I ask is that I'm currently studying triads thoroughly (mapping them on the fingerboard etc.) but I noticed I was super slow to sight-read them in notation (and of course chords in general). So this book might be of interest: learning triads and how to read them comfortably.

So if people have gotten their hands on this book I would like to hear their opinion on it.
    Thanks a lot

User Info Menu

Well, I have it, and yes it is great for improving your sight reading all over the fretboard, and it leaves with you with a good sense of key, but also in a way equips you for advanced improv concepts such as triad pairs which you might explore further down the line.

Read more about it, and see a couple of page examples here: Achieving Guitar Artistry - Triads Book - William Bay Music : Mel Bay

User Info Menu

I've been using the Linear Studies book as part of my sight reading practice for a few years. I try not to memorize them so I generally don't stop to fix any errors, although if I notice a particular rhythmic figure is giving me trouble then I'll work on that a few times. But eventually I started getting slightly bored with the book so I now also work out of Barry Galbraith's Bach 2-part Inventions book. I also work out of a violin book. Still, I recommend the book.