The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 78

User Info Menu

I forgot to mention - someone suggested Hippner guitars. Last year, I attended a classical guitar recital where the guitarist played a couple of Hippner axes. They sounded great...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Jabberwocky mentioned Luthier Michael Thames. I own a Thames Classical and it is the finest Classical that I have ever played.

here is a link to his website:

Michael Thames Guitars

While his guitars new start at $7500, I have seen used examples sell as low as $3000. If you have 3K to spend and can get a Thames for that much, I do not think that you can do better.

Best of luck in your search!

User Info Menu

Rich2B,

I have no affiliation with or knowledge of these, but here's a couple from the Delcamp site that are in the NY area and within the price range you stated.

- 1973 Manouk Papazian Spruce $2500
    - 2011 Antonio Aparicio Cedar $1000

And not in your area, but a Cordoba Masters Series Rodriguez for $1500.

Gook luck.
    Chris

Thanks guys. How would the Antonio Aparicio compare with a Pavan? I was actually thinking of the Pavan TP-20 CE which is an electric with a cutaway. If I went with the Aparicio I would need to get a transducer installed in it, which would likely be cheaper than the Pavan. I just don't feel I have the knowledge about classical guitars to tell if the guitar is real. At least with the Pavan I'd be buying it from Prisloe who would be a trusted source (maybe?). I don't feel I need to buy a pristine guitar since I play so much that the guitar will surely get scratch up. How about the Cordoba Masters? I have a GK Studio which I really don't like. I am hoping that these two Cordobas are in two different classes. Bottom line is I am not buying this as an investment. I just want something that plays really well.

PAVAN TP-20-CE (CUTAWAY ELECTRIC)

PRICE $1675
    The Pavan TP-20-CE electric classical cutaway guitars have onboard controls using the Fishman PreFix Pro Acoustic Guitar System which has notch filter, volume control, bass and treble controls, middle and brilliance control plus a phase switch. The Fishman PreFix Pro is a very convenient electric classical guitar system for on stage use.

• SOLID CEDAR TOP
    • SOLID EAST INDIAN ROSEWOOD SIDES AND BACK
    • EBONY FRETBOARD
    • 650MM STRING LENGTH
    • 50MM NUT
    • BONE NUT AND SADDLE
    • ON-BOARD ELECTRONICS
    • DOT AT 5, 7, 9TH FRETS

LEARN MORE ABOUT THIS GUITARQUESTIONS OR PLACE AN ORDER

Last edited by richb2; 06-21-2016 at 06:23 PM.

User Info Menu

I'd go with Tom Prisloe's Pavan if you are going in blind. I'd consider the Pavan TP-20-AC and shop around for your own miked solution that can be moved from guitar to guitar. Not everybody likes the Fishman Prefix.

I came across the Bartlett Guitar Mic - Bartlett Audio . Read on for Guitar Mic B.

Jabber, my only problem with not having a a volume at my fingertip is that I have found that I often feedback (with my Cordoba) so i need a way to quickly turn off the feedback (since I don't have a sound guy . I also find the GK Studio (which is a flamenco guitar, BTW) feeds back a bunch. At this point I am ready to not use the internal acoustic mike on the GK at all.

Does anyone have any positive or negative things to say about the tuning on a Pavan? I found on my GK Studio the tuning heads were not very accurate so I replaced the heads with Grovers. This was better but the overtones and general intonation is still killing me.

I spoke to Pavan. Seems like they no longer make the guitar with the preamp built in. Now I am wondering if I should instead consider getting a non electric Pavan, and have a Richard Barbera Transducer put in that was highly recommended by a pro I know. The transducer is $300. I have no idea what installation would cost?

User Info Menu

Go for it. The Barbera Soloist Transducer is nice. There is also the RMC system.

The other one you should scope out is the Paul McGill GT system. Paul charges $400 for it plus installation, I think. But that may be on his own guitars. I don't know if he sells it aftermarket but no harm asking. The Paul McGill GT system is made up of Graphtech saddles and his own McGill preamp. The preamp is installed in the rim of the guitar with slots for volume and EQ sliders.

As an interim solution, the Kremona NG-1 is nice and cheap ($69). It is fragile but can be made to work with some ingenuity.

Consider contact microphones too like the Schertler Dyn G https://secure.schertler.com/en_IT/s...kups/dyn-g-p48
    or AKG 411. http://www.akg.com/pro/p/c411group
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 06-24-2016 at 09:13 AM.

Well Rich Barbera turned me on to Allen Watsky who installs Barbera pickups and is located fairly close to me. He wants $500 to supply and install a Barbera with a volume control. So the guitar is about $1400+$99 and the pickup is about $500 which makes $2000. I am hoping this will do the trick. I am really picky when it comes to tuning! It is a lot of money but this will replace the Cordoba which I hope to sell for $400.

User Info Menu

Any feedback (no pun intended) on the L.R. BAGGS ELEMENT GUITAR PICKUP?

This is the one that Pavan installs.

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by richb2

I think it's very good - it's what I have in the video in post #12.

User Info Menu

I'll take that John Knowles Signature Kirk Sands model classical! Sounds beautiful to me.

That is also a beautiful arrangement of The Nearness of You.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by richb2

The Barbera Soloist didn't work out? Just asking.

Well, the Barbera will cost an additional $500 and will need to be installed by a third party. The LR Baggs can be installed by Pavan themselves and cost about $200 installed. $500 vs $200. Since I am at the point where I will need to make a choice, I don't want to make the wrong one. I have been told that the Barbera soloist is great. I know nothing about the LR Baggs.

I am mostly concerned about cutting through the band and volume. I can never seems to be heard over the drums. If I turn up my cordoba I usually feed back. I know that Romero plays in huge halls with his soloist and doesn't seem to have the feedback problem. I just don't want to make a fatal mistake.
    Last edited by richb2; 06-27-2016 at 09:35 AM.

User Info Menu

Late to the party here, but anybody else thing what makes a good classical guitar and what makes a good nylon string for jazz playing are very different things?

I'm completely satisfied with my Godin Grand Concert. And it's pretty much standard classical neck dimensions, and it has the best "avoustic" pickup system I've ever used.

This particular model also has a decent amount of unplugged volume for practice.

User Info Menu

Although it may not be a popular choice I really like my Martin 000C. 48mm nut width if that is a factor.

The Pavan T-20 has a 50mm nut so it is thinner than a regular classical which is at least a 52, I think?

Sounds good but I know that you have a very high end pre-amp/amp combo so I might not get the same exact sound.

well, I think I am going to go with the LR Baggs being installed by Pavan. Seems logical.

Thanks. Now if I could just play like you do!

User Info Menu

I was told by one of Segovia's guitar builder's sons that the best were German.
    German guitars are usually biult in a bit different way than traditional Spanish - the feel is different... (I mean the type of classical guitar called German, not the place of production)

User Info Menu

I really can't spend more than $3000. That is really my financial limit.
    Classical guitars are not violins... the most expesive one I saw was about EUR 20000 and it was owned by world class concert guitarist and made of some special magic woods that awere collected by virgins on the full moon night in Amazonia...

For classicals... with usd 3000 is big money...
    I would go for completely hand-made instrument by luthier - but I would not order - but rather to try to find a ready one...

I had to choose classical guitars many times from various price levels... I always rely only on actual my feel with actual instrument I can try...

I saw many usd 600-700 classical guitars (even mayve usd 300) that were no worse than usd 1500 guitar...

User Info Menu