Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

I have started to really get into Flamenco music and I'm looking for a good guitar the the 6K and under range. I already have a good classical guitar built in the Torres style. So I'm leaning towards something in the "Blanca" type. I am considering a Lester Devoe Blanca. Any other suggestions of other guitars to consider or or opinions about the Lester Devoe Blanca would be appreciated. rob

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Lester's guitars are among the best in the world, period. I have a blanca and a negra, and the blanca is incredibly loud, rich, balanced, light and magical. If you can find one in your budget, grab it. I was thinking of selling mine, as I specialize now in 7-string work, but it's pretty beat, although the sound is still unbelievable. Several "famous" players who have tried both of these have been pretty stunned by both the sound and the workmanship. The negra is fantastic, I can play most classical repertoire on it as well, and it records beautifully, and is a great bossa/samba guitar as well. Paco de Lucia recorded several tracks on his Devoe, as did Vicente Amigo. Lester is a great master, and not in best of health, so get one while you can.

RonJ, Thanks. I would like to try a Negra but the ones I have seen for sale are a bit out of my price range. Since I have gotten the classical guitar bug, I have done a lot of looking and listening to different concert level classical and flamenco guitars and I was surprised by the sheer number of builders plus the price some command. Archtop folks who complain about the cost of their guitars should look at how many classical/flamenco builders past and present command prices above the $10K mark.

User Info Menu

Truer, but there are also some with very reasonable prices: Ethan Deutsch, for instance, or G.V. Rubio. Check out GSI site for a rich variety of new and used high-level instruments, and if you get to Manhattan, see Tony at Luthier Music; I've bought several pieces from him, always a good selection. And keep your eyes peeled: I saw a Rubio negra for 2K a couple of years ago, an astounding bargain.

Ron J, Well, I just missed a Devoe Blanca 2014 for $5K. I was going to purchase it Friday morning but my Mom had an emergency so I had to run down to her house this weekend. Came back Monday...too late. Sold. I did check out the Ethan Deutsch models on line. Have you played any of them?

User Info Menu

I live in Jerez, and as you know this city is the flamenco cradle. I constantly see amazing guitarists playing the crappiest guitars around. Of course, if you can afford a good guitar, make me jealous and go for it but as always the flamenco comes first.

User Info Menu

rob, there are several blancas for $5k or less on the GSI site, including a Deutsch, as well as a great deal on a Vowinkel and a nice Conde. Check it out.

Also, I picked up a nice Aparicio blanca for about $1300 a few years ago, it's my "club" guitar, but really very good for jazz and samba, as well as flamenco.

RonJ, Thanks. The GSI Deutsch was on hold but I ended up choosing to purchase one direct from Ethan. He will also add a soundport at no additional cost so I'm pleased. Thanks for the advice. rob

Quote Originally Posted by sjl View Post
    I live in Jerez, and as you know this city is the flamenco cradle. I constantly see amazing guitarists playing the crappiest guitars around. Of course, if you can afford a good guitar, make me jealous and go for it but as always the flamenco comes first.
    sjl, I have played my share of crappy guitars over the years, mostly when in my 20's as one who has been buying guitars since the 70's the quality of lower cost instruments today is miles beyond what was available then. That said, some folks go on vacations, play golf, collect guns, drive expensive cars. Me, I play and love guitars. rob

User Info Menu

It is not a bad thing to enjoy guitars. Show us that new gem when it arrives, please.

This is a picture of the guitar. I went with a different sound hole rosette over the traditional rosette. I'm sure it will offend the traditionalists but I like it.
    Attached Images Attached Images Flamenco Guitars-eathan-deutsch-blanca-jpg Flamenco Guitars-ethan-deutsch-blanca-rosette-jpg 

User Info Menu

I like it very much, it remembers me La Leona by Torres.

Here you have a link to a well respected spanish builder who makes an astounding replica:
    Torres - Carlos Juan Busquiel - guitarras de artesanía

User Info Menu

Very nice, indeed. They take a few months to really open up, but his guitars are remarkable.

By the way, the "purists" never pay to get in.

User Info Menu

https://www.archtop.com/ac_90s_plazuelo.html

These are excellent guitars and the price seems right.