The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

Hi, Just completed a full pro set up on my Cordoba C5. Installed Rubner Hauser type tuners with anti friction
    bearings. No major fret issues so just polished them. Adjusted Truss rod and saddle to achieve 2.7mm Low E
    and 2. 5mm High E with no buzz at all on all the fretboard. Changed strings to Savarez Cantiga High tension
    (Cantiga Basses and New Cristal trebles). Complete different guitar in terms of Sound, Clarity, Deep Basses
    and clear trebles. Great Balance. An expenditure of 150.00 turns this 300.00 guitar into one that sounds like
    it cost 1500.00. Could note be happier. Regards
    Norman2
    The photo of the action is two dimes glued together which equals 1.35mm X 2=2.70
    Attached Images Attached Images Set up and new Tunning Machines on Cordoba C5-imgp0021-jpg Set up and new Tunning Machines on Cordoba C5-imgp0019-jpg Set up and new Tunning Machines on Cordoba C5-imgp0018-jpg 
    Last edited by Norman2; 12-30-2015 at 03:31 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

nice work...i like cordoba..they do good things...enjoy

cheers

User Info Menu

Rubners are excellent tuners, I have a set of individual ones on my Aparicio 7-string.

User Info Menu

Still liking your set up?I keep looking at guitars I can't afford.maybe this will be better then getting a neck reset on my Garcia.how's the overtone and sustain? Does it ring like abell?

Quote Originally Posted by EarlBrother
    Still liking your set up?I keep looking at guitars I can't afford.maybe this will be better then getting a neck reset on my Garcia.how's the overtone and sustain? Does it ring like abell?
    Hi, Perfect sound, volume, sustain. Sounds like a guitar that cost 3X as much. I , like you would like to get a,
    suitable high level classical guitar but I am not good enough and still learning, to warrant dishing out 1,000-
    1500.00 until iI feel I have advanced enough. My little C5 sounds wonderful to my teacher. He wants to buy it
    if I ever sell it. Regards
    Norman2

User Info Menu

Thanks!!!

Thanks!!!
    Hi Earl. Luckily I was able to upgrade a little as I found a Cordoba C7 (Rosewood sides and back) at
    Guitar Center for a very good price and in excellent condition. Replace original tuners on the C5
    and returned to GC. Got my money back and used on the C7. Will replace tuners with the Rubners
    and do a set up on it today. Will let you know how it comes out. Regards
    Norman2

User Info Menu

Sounds great.thanks!

Sounds great.thanks!
    Hi Earl. Just finished the work on my Cordoba C7 and it turned out perfect. The only difference I find is that
    the sound is much deeper and mellower than with the C5. I believe it is the difference in the laminated
    back and sides made of Rosewood versus the C5 which has laminated mahogany. It is funny that I paid less
    for the used C7 (new condition) vs. the C5 at guitar center. If you just look hard enough you can get some
    good deals without spending 1500.00. See attached photos. Regards
    Norman2
    Attached Images Attached Images Set up and new Tunning Machines on Cordoba C5-imgp0008-jpg Set up and new Tunning Machines on Cordoba C5-imgp0007-jpg Set up and new Tunning Machines on Cordoba C5-imgp0009-jpg Set up and new Tunning Machines on Cordoba C5-imgp0006-jpg Set up and new Tunning Machines on Cordoba C5-imgp0005-jpg 
    Last edited by Norman2; 01-14-2016 at 11:30 AM.

User Info Menu

Nice!!! I just played my Garcia and inspite all the bad reports to it just sounds so nice.So i am looking into a cost of a neck reset.It was givin to me back in 1972.It was made in 1969.Any way well see thanks for the up date.At the 12th fret the strings are a full 1/4 inch from the fret board!!E

Nice!!! I just played my Garcia and inspite all the bad reports to it just sounds so nice.So i am looking into a cost of a neck reset.It was givin to me back in 1972.It was made in 1969.Any way well see thanks for the up date.At the 12th fret the strings are a full 1/4 inch from the fret board!!E
    Hi Earl, If the Garcia is the guitar you like get a luthier to re-set the neck and get that action down to 3mm on the 12th fret and you will be surprised at how easy it becomes to play. That is the guitar you really like which to me
    is the most important factor. Keep me posted. Regards
    Norman2

User Info Menu

Hey ! Hey ! You glued two dimes together ? !!! That's defacement of US currency, punishable by 3 months in federal prison or listening to 24 hrs. straight of 1980s David Hasselhoff records.. I strongly advise you to think it over carefully before making your decision....
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    All seriousness aside, I did a similar thing. I bought a C7, returned it for a C9, then turned IT in for a C10. I love the 10 due to all solid wood, ebony board. But the laminates are pretty good too. And for your short time into CG you're fine. I'd suggest though you cease making all these changes to them. It isn't worth all the time and effort trying to make a low cost instrument sound classier. Just play it, learn CG, and fuggeddaboudit !!
    Last edited by MarkInLA; 01-14-2016 at 03:08 AM.

Hi MarkinLA, I am retired so I have nothing to do but play around modifying my guitars. That is my hobby and
    I enjoy the results of before and after. I really do not play classical music at all. I only play Bossa Novas and
    Latin jazz music. My song book now has 45 songs that I can play fairly decent. The two dimes are my version
    of a cheap feeler gauge. I don't think the US mint is really worried LOL. Regards
    Norman2
    PS: Attached photo of where I spend most of my time
    Attached Images Attached Images Set up and new Tunning Machines on Cordoba C5-cordoba-c7-studio-jpg 

User Info Menu

Covet and envy.We had a son late in life and between children,animals and a creative multiple project Oriented wife any attempts at making a spot is consumed.But never boring.

Covet and envy.We had a son late in life and between children,animals and a creative multiple project Oriented wife any attempts at making a spot is consumed.But never boring.
    Hi, Earl it took a long time to be able to get my own studio in my house. I hear you. Regards
    Norman2

User Info Menu

Norman, I hope you realized I was joking about the 2 dimes and the penalty for this. When you say you have 45 songs in your songbook, I'm assuming you mean chords to them which accompany your singing. Or, do you actually play all 45 as instrumentals ?! Anyway, sorry, I didn't know your setting up guitars was a hobby. Nothing wrong with that. I too am retired. I see you like boats/ships. My lifetime hobby is model railroading (not toy trains). MRRing is separate from the toy in that we strive to achieve as much realism as possible; wide curves, 2% grades, scale speeds, and prototype operations.
    Again, not my business, I know. But I still feel you needn't modify low cost guitars other than maybe lowering/raising the action. I do think you should look at becoming a real luthier, though. You already have the drive to..Put your age out of your mind. It's a dogmatic concept, marking off our time this way. Man should never have invented yearly birth - day celebration. It's destructive to the matured-adult soul.
    Last edited by MarkInLA; 01-14-2016 at 10:20 PM.

Hi MarkinLA, I know you were joking about the dimes. The song book is for chords to accompany my singing. Just for
    fun. My hobbies are very different in summer. I race Radio Control cars and speedboats and also sail Radio control
    Americas Cup Sailboats. So in summer the guitar is not played much. I live in the Western North Carolina mountains
    and it gets pretty nasty in winter so that is guitar time. I have attached photos of some of my cars and boats. In the
    near future I am going to build my own classical guitar as I have all the tools that are necessary. Regards as always
    Norman2
    PS: This summer i will start getting the wood that I am going to use on my guitar.
    Attached Images Attached Images Set up and new Tunning Machines on Cordoba C5-imgp0004-jpg Set up and new Tunning Machines on Cordoba C5-imgp0009-jpg Set up and new Tunning Machines on Cordoba C5-prada-1-jpg Set up and new Tunning Machines on Cordoba C5-prada-sailing-1-jpg Set up and new Tunning Machines on Cordoba C5-imgp0002-jpg 
    Last edited by Norman2; 01-14-2016 at 10:59 PM.

User Info Menu

To markinla. Did you happen to try the c 10 crossover as well?If so did it have the same beautiful ring of the classical?
    Same q to you Norm?

To markinla. Did you happen to try the c 10 crossover as well?If so did it have the same beautiful ring of the classical?
    Same q to you Norm?
    Hi Earl, I did try a Cordoba Fusion Orchestra at guitar center but the 1 7/8" nut width was not comfortable for me
    as the end of my fingers are too fat for the string spacing but it did have the same sound as the classical version.
    Regards
    Norman

User Info Menu

Is there some kind of standard for a Bossa Nova setup vs a normal classical setup?

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    Is there some kind of standard for a Bossa Nova setup vs a normal classical setup?
    Hi, No, Same set up as a classical guitar. 3.0-3.5mm 12 the fret Low E, 3.0MM on 12 th fret at high E. My set up
    is 2.7mm Low E and 2.5mm on high E, My Guitar is a Cordoba C7 and it has a truss rod which is why I can go
    lower than normal. The height of the action normally is the same for Bossa Nova and a Classical guitar. Regards
    Norman2
    Last edited by Norman2; 01-15-2016 at 02:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Same q to you Norm?
    No, I never did. Maybe tried a single cutaway electric/classical, but for me, playing classical pieces on it is a bit difficult as the fretting hand is trained to feel the heel/front edge of body, telling you you're at the 12 fret Position ( or, could say 9th Pos as 4 is touching body and 1 is over the 9th fret C# on either E string). Also, crossovers have a smaller nut which is not good for the string spacing Xical guit requires. I am recently getting back to some steel string jazz and am awaiting my new Ibanez Artstar AF151F archtop...I thought I wouldn't be able to practice the two simultaneously (well, no, not at the very same time !), but I have been playing on another new archtop (which I'm returning toward my newer one) and was surprised to find it only takes a few minutes to reorient myself to each ( I'd advise against doing this if one is trying to become great on either one. But I'm not concerned with that at this stage of my life).
    Last edited by MarkInLA; 01-16-2016 at 01:09 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    I agree. Watch any Charlie Byrd or Laurindo Almeda video.
    ATTN: My reply here was meant to go in post below, not here. Admin. is free to delete this...
    Last edited by MarkInLA; 01-16-2016 at 01:21 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Norman2
    Hi, No, Same set up as a classical guitar. 3.0-3.5mm 12 the fret Low E, 3.0MM on 12 th fret at high E. My set up
    is 2.7mm Low E and 2.5mm on high E, My Guitar is a Cordoba C7 and it has a truss rod which is why I can go
    lower than normal. The height of the action normally is the same for Bossa Nova and a Classical guitar. Regards
    Norman2
    I agree. Watch any Laurindo Almeda or Charlie Byrd video... Nice cars and boats Norm....
    Last edited by MarkInLA; 01-16-2016 at 01:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Agree with your thoughts on age.My family celebrates life sometime by the moment,the hour,day etc.Birthdays not so much.Did you ev er read Tuesdays With Muary?I to toy with both styles.Tremolos came natural to me.So when I would throw the intro to leyenda or throw into Symphony 9 or in The Hall of the mountain king people thought I was a classical guitarist.But don't ask me to play a whole arrangement.Most never did.Cause I would jump into Satin Doll or get a sing along going.Thanks for the rresponse though.