The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Hi.
    I'm seriously thinking about buying one of the Cordoba GK series guitars, probably the GK Pro Negra, but I'm not able to find one locally, meaning, internet purchase.
    I see that the standard and pro both use similar electronics. Ive been able to play the standard at a Guitar Center and rather liked it. I played it through a Fishman Loudbox Artist and a Fender Acoustasonic (which I use) and liked the tonal control and response of the guitar's system.
    Should I expect a major difference between the laminated back and sides (standard) and solid back and sides (pro)? Just wondering if in amplified use, it would be worth the $700.
    Also, I'm open to any suggestions regarding other brands of flamenco guitar featuring cutaway bodies and quality electronics priced under $2000. Heck, thoughts on amps are welcome as well!!
    Thanks
    Last edited by gspirro1; 05-31-2015 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Technical correction

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Love mine. Got it on ebay for 400, but;

Something isn't right with the pickup. I never plug it in so It's no big deal right now. Also, I have the one with the cypess back and sides. The lighter colored one. From what I can hear from vids, if you can afford it I'd say go for the negra which is rosewood back and sides if I remember correctly. Is has a little bit deeper sound.
    I think the electronics are all garbage in these things. Cordoba's quality control is bad but that's why they're relatively cheap guitars. They're well designed.
    Yamaha's are OK but I like Cordobas.

User Info Menu

I have a GK Studio which I also bought on ebay for about 500 or so (that might include shipping, I can't remember). Anyway,I have the one with the light sides and back. It is OK. I must say that I play it way more than my $3000 ES335. I did have some issue with the action and the sound being tinny. Now I use the most heavy strings I can find for it which are D'Addario EJ44 "extra hard". It is not that much fun to play but it sounds better.

I have actually been considering getting a more expensive classical since I am kind of growing out of the Cordoba. Here is a picture of me playing it.

Cordoba GK guitar experiences?-photo-2-jpg

User Info Menu

Almost a year ago I got my GK Studio Negra from Elderly. The pickup and electronics work great for my gig with a percussionist, I use a Carvin AG100D amp.

The pro is about twice the price and I'd have to try one to justify that difference. Mine works fine and people often comment on the nice sound.

Well, as I mentioned, I'm seriously considering the GK Pro Negra which is solid spruce and solid rosewood with the Fishman Prefix Problend piezo/mic system, or the GK Pro with solid cypress.
    I play solo at art galleries and coffee shops, small venues. I'm used to hard and extra hard tension strings (former bassist and use 56-13s on my acoustics and electrics)
    I want the 50mm nut spacing and the cutaway, and I'm hoping for a good acoustic sound to inspire when I practice or play unplugged. I'm using a Godin Grand Concert Duet Ambience which is just okay amped but terrible acoustically. I'd rather practice on my 8 year old $350 Yamaha CG 171SF!
    Not too many options out there!

On a side note, has anyone used the Guitar Salon International as a vendor? If I have to use the internet to buy, it's either them or Sweetwater. I dont see many other options there either!

User Info Menu

Hm, a used pro for $950, with the humicase. Looks like a pretty nice deal:

CORDOBA GK PRO FLAMENCO (recent) - Elderly Instruments

User Info Menu

One more thing, the top of the guitar is starting to warp. The bridge is starting to rise and that is the reason I am not happy with the action. The bottom line is that it is a good guitar for the money, but realize its limitations.

Thanks for the heads up richb2.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by richb2
    One more thing, the top of the guitar is starting to warp. The bridge is starting to rise and that is the reason I am not happy with the action. The bottom line is that it is a good guitar for the money, but realize its limitations.
    I haven't come across what kind of bracing is used in the GK Studio. A number of similar models use Spanish fan bracing. I'm not going to make excuses for Cordoba but not using a humidifier could create problems. Hate to give up on Cordoba because the GK bracing is a bad design.
    The 12/14 Maple would be the next step up for me and that has spanish bracing. I wonder if the cypress contributes to the warping on the GK.
    I'm going to have a look inside my guitar.

Thx for the feedback Stevebol. According to the Cordoba website the GK Studio and the GK Pro both use the "Spanish fan bracing". The Pro uses the traditional Spanish style heel block construction, although I doubt that would prevent the top frim warping at the bridge. Maybe humidity instabilities and the use of extra hard tension strings accellerated the process.
    At any rate, the GK Pro ships with the humidifier case, which is an option for the Studio and IIRC, the warranty gets upgraded to a limited lifetime warranty...whose lifetime?
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to pull trigger on one of the higher end boxes, either the GK Pro negra or the Pro cypress. I'm still researching the 55FCE, 55FCE negra, and the more expensive FCWE Reissue. These 3 are made in Spain and have a thinner body, but apparently a decent acoustic tone and volume. Slim pickings in this genre!
    Last edited by gspirro1; 05-31-2015 at 01:58 PM.

User Info Menu

well, I have travelled a bit around the US with my GK Studio so maybe the variation in humidity from NY to Fla? On long trips (and when I am not playing out) I will usually bring my Yamaha Silent Guitar instead.

I used to snowbird between the coast of Maine and SE Arizona...high humidity to very dry. I used to struggle to keep my studio in AZ up to 35%. The only guitar that couldn't handle it was my (long-gone) Martin 00017S. My Tacoma AJF28, D'Aquisto Solo (Aria), my carved-top upright bass and my electrics needed neck relief and bridge tweaks. That Yamaha CG171SF which has a solid top, needed nothing. Go figure! Maybe it's the extra special secret formula polyurethane finish Yamaha used back in 2006? 😁

BTW, I'm located in Western NC now, and it helps that the lady of the house keeps it close to 50% humidity for her Steinway grand! 😄
    Last edited by gspirro1; 05-31-2015 at 02:35 PM.

User Info Menu

How bad is the warping, could you post a pic?

User Info Menu

It is that guitar that you see above in the photo. It would be very hard to see in a photo. You can really see it best when it is reflecting light. The owner of Lark Street Music where I get my guitars repaired pointed the warping out.

Lark Street Music: Vintage Guitars, Teaneck NJ

You might check out their stock. They sell very high end guitars to many pros in NY/NJ. I see that they have one of those hand made Cordobas for about $1000.
    Last edited by richb2; 05-31-2015 at 05:05 PM.

User Info Menu

what about the carvin/ similar to the godin, some say better built....I love the sound of godin and carvin..its not a pure classical guitar sound...but I like it....unplugged, not so good I would guess......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gspirro1
    On a side note, has anyone used the Guitar Salon International as a vendor? If I have to use the internet to buy, it's either them or Sweetwater. I dont see many other options there either!
    Yes I have visited them and have also bought online from them. Great guys. I worked with J.P.

User Info Menu

I have a GK Studio which I also bought on ebay for about 500 or so (that might include shipping, I can't remember). Anyway,I have the one with the light sides and back. It is OK. I must say that I play it way more than my $3000 ES335. I did have some issue with the action and the sound being tinny. Now I use the most heavy strings I can find for it which are D'Addario EJ44 "extra hard". It is not that much fun to play but it sounds better.

I have actually been considering getting a more expensive classical since I am kind of growing out of the Cordoba. Here is a picture of me playing it.

Cordoba GK guitar experiences?-photo-2-jpg

rich - what are you looking at in this picture? probably just focusing on the music i guess.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I pulled ths trigger on the GK Pro with solid cypress back and sides that Sweetwater listed.
    Got the guitar Thursday and determined it's a keeper.

Dropped by Marfione Guitars ( https://allstringsnylon.com ) and am having the nut and saddle tweaked, frets and fingerboard dressed and upgrading the tuning machines. I could have gotten by without the upgrade, but I'm sure this guitar is a keeper!
    Chuck Marfione is a great luthier and really nice guy!

Last edited by gspirro1; 06-07-2015 at 10:40 PM.

User Info Menu

How are you enjoying this Cordoba after this time?

User Info Menu

I had the standard cypress GK Studio for a few years (sold recently for some unknown reason) and I liked it a lot - it was a great couch/recliner guitar but I never plugged it in. I hate acoustic pickups in any form and am looking for a cutaway flamenco negra with NO electronics as I plan to use it only at home unplugged. I also MUST have an ebony fingerboard. I approached Cordoba about ordering something with no electronics but customer service just blew me off. I sent them another query the other day hoping it would go higher up the food chain but I'm not going to hold my breath. I'm thinking of cleaning up my shop, getting out my classical building books, buying some wood and building one but I really don't have the time nor inclination to do so. I'd just like to be able to buy what I want without going to a luthier made instrument that I can't afford. I know that someone will say to just get one with the electronics and don't use them but I can't deal with looking down and seeing the electronics cut into the side - it sickens me.