The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 54

User Info Menu

I know this is a jazz site but since we have a classical guitar forum: Saw her recital last night here in Florida. Her technique and musical sense are of the highest caliber. I've seen most of the greats from Segovia, Bream, Brouwer, Fisk, Barrueco, etc. But as my wife said "she brings the whole package". It was a fairly conservative program which would have been my only complaint, but if you get a chance, check her out. Jim Redgate guitar from Australia sounded amazing but as we all know the sound comes from the hands.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hands are important but I'm a firm believer that the sound comes the ears and mind first. On point I have heard of her but have never heard her. Will check her playing out

User Info Menu

a splendid player. check out her walton bagatelles.

User Info Menu

As much as I h..., well, am not attracted by classical guitar, have to quote my own comment on one of her clips, "I could smell the wood of that guitar". Lots of energy there, on that listen, in that clip, ...

I thought she was a compatriot of mine, but she's from just across the border.
    Last edited by Vladan; 02-18-2014 at 10:46 PM.

User Info Menu

She is such an amazing musician. I must admit I'm more than a little jealous you got to see her live, jaco!

User Info Menu

Her performances are always really stellar! What an amazing musician.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan

I thought she was a compatriot of mine, but she's from just across the border.
    As an aside, (not talking about politics, but musicians here)--There are a couple of great players from your area who immigrated to Chicago (one as a direct refugee, via Germany).

I just saw this guy perform as part of a small chamber group, in honor of Benjamin Britten's birthday. My friend studied with him, he is outstanding.

Denis Azabagic´

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_Azabagić

The 2nd player is a classical player who also plays Balkan folk and other types of music. He put out an excellent duet record on nylon with Fareed Haque.
    Goran Ivanovic

http://www.goranguitar.com

Goran's dad, Danche Ivanovic, is an excellent luthier and repair guy-makes arch tops and flattops and electrics, who has a repair shop in Oak Park. He was featured on Channel 11, the local Public TV channel here.

A nice story about a family who lost everything and rebuilt it all and have been a great credit to the Chicago music and guitar making scene.

Here is his story from Channel 11.

Sorry for the tangential thread jack, but I thought you may be interested.

User Info Menu

Thanks NSJ.

User Info Menu

I've seen her and met her briefly aft her performance. She is a stellar player, with astounding technique and focused artistry. She is extremely dedicated. She is also very gracious , humble and sweet natured. What a wonderful young lady and artist.

it doesn't hurt that she's pretty either.
    Last edited by fumblefingers; 02-19-2014 at 12:24 AM.

User Info Menu

I saw her in December. Her technique was flawless, especially that two-finger tremolo. I still prefer the melodrama of the previous generations, but think she is one of the better of the currents.

User Info Menu

Wow!

User Info Menu

That first piece by Tarrega is not technically difficult at all apart from the tremolo. The Albeniz piece is more difficult. Ana used to play a guitar by Jim Redgate, if I recall, but I couldn't see the inscription. And finally that nice little arrangement of Yesterday. With the exception of the Asturias piece nothing too difficult, but Ana is captivating nonetheless.

Jay

Jay, if you're looking for something difficult check out her recording of the J.S. Bach fourth lute suite. There may be some clips on you tube.

User Info Menu

Oh, I am a fan of Ana's. I enjoy her Bach interpretations. I think they have deleted a video she had on YT of the Chaconne, or at least I cannot find it.

User Info Menu

I agree. The first piece didn't seem too difficult, though I am not a classical player. I did think she had a very nice touch, good control of dynamics, very clean. But I'm not really schooled enough on the classical side to judge how she would compare with world class players.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    I agree. The first piece didn't seem too difficult, though I am not a classical player. I did think she had a very nice touch, good control of dynamics, very clean. But I'm not really schooled enough on the classical side to judge how she would compare with world class players.
    She *IS* a world-class player.

User Info Menu

The most difficult of the three pieces in the interview was the the Albeniz. Yesterday in the key of A is a piece of cake. But 'degree of difficulty' is not a unique measure of skill and communication. She can play with emotion and dynamics as well as great fluidity, as evidenced in her Bach repertoire. The Asturias is an old war horse for her, but she plays it well.

Ana is definitely world class, along with players like Jason Vieux.

User Info Menu

I thought I heard great sensitivity in some of the treble string trills, very refined, and in a sense feminine and delicate and perhaps refreshing because of that. And the moving bass line was very powerful and articulate to me, but when you mentioned that the piece wasn't too difficult technically, I thought perhaps I was too easily impressed. Good to know your thoughts. Thanks.
    Last edited by Flat; 02-20-2014 at 09:32 PM.

There's a you tube video of Ana playing the Bach prelude from the 3rd Bach Violin Partitia in e Major. If someone more computer literate than I am (not saying much) cares to put it on here. It's worth the effort.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    That first piece by Tarrega is not technically difficult at all apart from the tremolo.
    Jay
    let's hear your rendition of the Recuerdos.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    That first piece by Tarrega is not technically difficult at all apart from the tremolo. Jay
    climbing everest is not difficult at all, apart from the elevation gain.

must add, she will never achieve a truly brilliant tremolo with that pimi.
    Last edited by randalljazz; 02-21-2014 at 05:49 AM.

User Info Menu

Fritz - Not a great fan of Tarrega's music particularly, I did not have Recuerdos de la Alhambra in my sheet music collection. However, I did download it tonight. What I don't particularly like is the almost awkward bass line pattern which is a kind of countermelody to the tremolo and the implied chords. What requires some work is not so much the tremolo pattern (I prefer in spots to use both open and closed voicing in certain measures in the tremolo by altering the traditional fingering and playing in different positions up the fingerboard) as fingering that bass counter melody. I do like, however, the melody and chord progression harmony. As I was sight reading the piece, I find a preference for altering the fingering and improvising over the melody in, what to me, is a more pleasing interpretation of the melody and harmony with a more interesting bass countermelody. In essence, treating it like a jazz piece.

Of course, this illustrates why I prefer jazz to playing classical music, though I do enjoy that as well. I like the freedom of playing the music as I hear it. Jazz over classical.

I'm in the middle of a recording project and weekends are the only time I can devote to that. But I'll see what I can come up with. Perhaps I sounded too dismissive in suggesting that it is easy to play. What makes it difficult is fingering the bass countermelody while sustaining an even tremolo. But I dislike that bass melody which I find awkward and counterintuitive.

Do you play this piece?

User Info Menu

a plea to the gang.

lets stay on point here, and not dirty up this thread with our typical debates.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by randalljazz
    climbing everest is not difficult at all, apart from the elevation gain.

must add, she will never achieve a truly brilliant tremolo with that pimi.

My eyes are bad and my phone screen is small...is she really doing tremolos with no annular?

User Info Menu

The first two pieces Ana plays on the first video, "Recuerdos de la Alhambra: Francisco Tarrega" and "Asturias, Leyenda: Isaac Albeniz", are part of the Classical guitarists "Absolutely Must Know!" repertoire. How well you play these pieces is often how you are judged as a player by the general Classical guitar aficionado...Not so much your fellow professionals (if you are a pro), they are sick of the pieces.

I suppose there are similar pieces in the Jazz guitar repertoire but others are probably more familiar with what they might be than I so I'll not hazard a guess.

Classical guitarists are much more "proper" technique obsessed than other guitar styles, for the most part, so Ms. Vadovic's "unusual" tremolo technique (pimi rather than the more common pami) has resulted in a lot of cyber-space being used up discussing the pros and cons of her choice. It's not a new tremolo pattern and not unique to her (although it's not common among the present crop of players, she's the only one of her level that I am aware of). The pimi tremolo was the standard fingering for this technique during the 19th century and into the early 20th. Spanish guitarist Tarrega and his colleagues were actually revolutionary in using the three finger, pami, tremolo. Prior to that many believed that the 'a' (ring finger) was too weak to be really useful...now how many successfully use their pinky?? Times change.