The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 54

User Info Menu

There is a kind of funny video on YT of Chet Atkins playing Recuerdos before a (Nashville?) audience. He introduces the piece as the most popular classical piece extant, which may be true. But if you watch the clip, you will notice that his guitar partner whose name escapes me at the moment is actually playing the bass counter melody while Chet does a nice job executing the tremolo and harmony part. Nonetheless, I had to smile, as even the great Chet Atkins took a pass on this one.

Jay

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Tremblay
    The first two pieces Ana plays on the first video, "Recuerdos de la Alhambra: Francisco Tarrega" and "Asturias, Leyenda: Isaac Albeniz", are part of the Classical guitarists "Absolutely Must Know!" repertoire. How well you play these pieces is often how you are judged as a player by the general Classical guitar aficionado...Not so much your fellow professionals (if you are a pro), they are sick of the pieces.

I suppose there are similar pieces in the Jazz guitar repertoire but others are probably more familiar with what they might be than I so I'll not hazard a guess.

Classical guitarists are much more "proper" technique obsessed than other guitar styles, for the most part, so Ms. Vadovic's "unusual" tremolo technique (pimi rather than the more common pami) has resulted in a lot of cyber-space being used up discussing the pros and cons of her choice. It's not a new tremolo pattern and not unique to her (although it's not common among the present crop of players, she's the only one of her level that I am aware of). The pimi tremolo was the standard fingering for this technique during the 19th century and into the early 20th. Spanish guitarist Tarrega and his colleagues were actually revolutionary in using the three finger, pami, tremolo. Prior to that many believed that the 'a' (ring finger) was too weak to be really useful...now how many successfully use their pinky?? Times change.

using the "a" finger for tremolo is tricky. Ana sounds incredibly smooth without it, others sound great with it. many players struggle with it (I won't name them), and it comes out on this piece.

technique serves the music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    Do you play this piece?
    I play it with difficulty, and can't remember the whole thing.

I didn't mean to call you out, but tremolo pieces seem pretty difficult in my opinion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jckoto3
    As requested: Ana Vidovic playing J.S. Bach's Prelude to the 3rd violin partita, BWV 1006. Later transcribed and harmonized for lute (or possibly lutenwerck) and recatalogued BWV 1006a which is what is played in this video.

Stunning, possibly flawless performance.
    Damn. Really, really impressive.

User Info Menu

That is an impressive performance! I downloaded that sheet music as well. I do have a couple of the Lute Suites, but not that piece. Perhaps it is because my Bach sheet music was purchased thirty years ago, but ever notice that some publishers of classical guitar music by Bach have the annoying tendency not to identify the piece according to BMV, so you have "A Bach Prelude and Fugue", for example, with no BWV number. Pet peeve....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumblefingers
    using the "a" finger for tremolo is tricky. Ana sounds incredibly smooth without it, others sound great with it. many players struggle with it (I won't name them), and it comes out on this piece.
    Very true. Most Classical players use the pami variation as their "go to" for their tremolo technique and the Flamencos like to add another finger piami which I personally like but it can slow down the pulse of the piece a little...depending on the skill of the player (it's also easier to get a smooth flow with the extra finger in there). And you're correct that it's very clear to the listener when the player is "lacking" in their tremolo technique. That's probably why this particular piece is one by which players are often judged.

Quote Originally Posted by fumblefingers
    ...technique serves the music.
    I agree with this sentiment and in Anas case I believe this to be true, she's a lovely (not just visually) player with a solid technique. However these days, it often (certainly not always) appears that the music is merely a vehicle used to display a stunning technique.

I'm not sure displaying a stunning technique is a bad thing. In Ana's case, the performance I saw displayed an equal amount of sensitivity to the music. Her phrasing, dynamics, and over all musicality struck me most. There are an amazing
    group of very technically gifted classical guitarists out there these days. Her musicianship makes her stand out above this crowd, and yes it doesn't hurt to be easy on the eyes. She's certainly a beautiful young lady.

User Info Menu

She's deeply musical, and the pimi tremolo is a stroke of genius, giving the tremolo an evenness that is very difficult to accomplish with pima.

User Info Menu

She has an excellent tremolo, but that imim pattern as opposed to ima is not unique. Just difficult to sustain.

User Info Menu

I was fortunate enough to see her play Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez with the Knoxville (my hometown) Symphony Orchestra a while back. The orchestra was adequate; she was stunning. My wife, not really a guitar aficionado (though she loves a guitarist), said, "Why, she's like a little spider, spinning out melody!" How's that for music criticism?

User Info Menu

She has an excellent tremolo, but that imim pattern as opposed to ima is not unique. Just difficult to sustain.
    Not to be a pedant but you do mean "mim pattern as opposed to ami" as pointed out by Scott Tremblay. At least, those are the two ways that I've been taught to do the tremolo: PAMI or PMIM.

User Info Menu

Good point. Ami, not ima. My error.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scot63
    I was fortunate enough to see her play Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez with the Knoxville (my hometown) Symphony Orchestra a while back. The orchestra was adequate; she was stunning. My wife, not really a guitar aficionado (though she loves a guitarist), said, "Why, she's like a little spider, spinning out melody!" How's that for music criticism?
    I think highly of Ana, but that's the concerto. Credit Rodrigo for his Guitar-Orchestra masterpiece. The most requested concerto by all symphony subscribers, nation wide.

by the same token, the performer can't mess it up with a boo-boo. Guess what? Everybody does!

so, when you've heard a perfect performance you've really heard something.
    Last edited by fumblefingers; 03-05-2014 at 09:17 PM.

User Info Menu

I've heard several note-perfect renditions of the Rodrigo, not necessarily better than some other versions with a mistake or two.

User Info Menu

yeah, not necessarily better, just more rare. at least in my experience.

User Info Menu

...the performer can't mess it up with a boo-boo. Guess what? Everybody does!
    One of the top players in the world, one who basically "owns" the concerto having played and recorded it more times than I can count and is a member of the famous family of Spanish classical guitarists...well, I've heard him blow a good bit of the cadenza in the second movement of the Aranjuez. If it can happen to him what chance do we mere mortals have?

It's a tough piece and anyone who can pull it off note perfect and musically at the same time is worthy of all the accolades surely to come their way, IMO. Ana does a fine job every time I've heard her play it.

User Info Menu

I have jim redgate lattice guitar with arm rest for sell
    brazillian rosewood back and sides
    cedar top
    ebony wood button tuners
    case

Contact me
    Ana Vidovic-image-jpgAna Vidovic-image-jpgAna Vidovic-image-jpgAna Vidovic-image-jpgAna Vidovic-image-jpgAna Vidovic-image-jpg
    lydian@hotmail.com

User Info Menu

Contact me lydian@hotmail.com
    Attached Images Attached Images Ana Vidovic-image-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eventide
    It will help if you list it in the "For Sale" section and include your asking price. Good luck.

User Info Menu

There is a kind of funny video on YT of Chet Atkins playing Recuerdos before a (Nashville?) audience. He introduces the piece as the most popular classical piece extant, which may be true. But if you watch the clip, you will notice that his guitar partner whose name escapes me at the moment is actually playing the bass counter melody while Chet does a nice job executing the tremolo and harmony part. Nonetheless, I had to smile, as even the great Chet Atkins took a pass on this one.

Jay
    In fact, his guitar partner (Paul Yandell) doesn't join in until the second section, and he plays a fingerpicking pattern on the chord shapes, very quietly. Atkins plays the piece as Tarrega wrote it. He does it on his own too, on this video, also on youtube -

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by randalljazz
    a splendid player. check out her walton bagatelles.
    Yes, she's a fine looking woman but no need to be crude!

User Info Menu

Many attractive artists, particularly actors, achieve success because of their looks despite having little talent. Ana happens to be very attractive, but she can flat out play! She deserves all the success she has achieved.

User Info Menu

In the classical guitar world she has received some criticism for the "light weight" conservative repertoire she choses or has been choosing as of late. As a long time aficionado and player of the classical guitar I can sympathize with this sentiment somewhat but it certainly should not stop one from admiring her ability and charm. And I agree, she does deserve all the success, she has worked for it.

User Info Menu

Do to an accident years ago when i started my journey into Classical Guitar,i lost the tip of my 'ring finger' and so my pinky took its place.Until i realized 2 finger trems work.So i appreciate your comments on this!As long as i play for non professional purist of which i once was.everybody seems happy.Except maybe me until Joe Pass lightened my purist spirit.

User Info Menu

She's a great musician. I hope to be able to invite her to play in our classical guitar meeting next summer. Check out Anabel Montesinos too fi you love classical