Jazz Guitar
+ Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13
  1. Check This Out! Julian Bream playing the lute for Igor Stravinsky

Found it in this wonderful Swedish documentary made when Stravinsky was still alive; the Bream bit starts at around 7:09.

Watch the whole thing: among the many other wonderful bits is a Zappa-esque one, in which Stravinsky is greeted at the University of Texas and presented with a cowboy hat, which he graciously accepts and dons (starting at 39:58).

Last edited by jbernstein91; 02-11-2014 at 07:00 PM.

2. # ADS
    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

unlike a certain other guitarist of renown, at least you can't say he didn't try...

4. BTW, also check out guitarist Tim Sparks' amazing version of the Danse Russe from Stravinsky's Petrushka:

Quote Originally Posted by randalljazz View Post
    unlike a certain other guitarist of renown, at least you can't say he didn't try...
    ........And he did collaborate successfully with Benjamin Britten, who liked writing for specific performers:

6. Beautiful - both the piece and the performance.

I really enjoyed watching the DVD documentary of Bream's life, where these clips were also used in. There's also THIS very interesting clip with a certain Hindustani musician whom many may not be familiar with, but I think was one of the stunningly beautiful improvisers I have ever heard.

Navdeep Singh.

khansahib was one of truly great musicians of the last hundred years (i had the benefit of long study with one of his students.)

Bream is one of my favorites. Word on the street was that he could play swing like Django. He was among the most musical of all the classical guitarists.

Quote Originally Posted by Encinitastubes View Post
    Bream is one of my favorites. Word on the street was that he could play swing like Django. He was among the most musical of all the classical guitarists.
    From what I've heard (i.e., a first hand account from someone Bream asked to duet with in a jazz setting) , no he can't.

If you watch his documentary, he actually had a one-off gig playing jazz guitar with a big band. the band leader thanked him for helping out (he was subbing) and, if Bream would come back tomorrow, he would get a rhythm guitar lesson.
    Navdeep Singh.

The Passacaglia is a difficult section of Nocturnal to play. I studied and memorized this piece in my twenties. Julian Bream, my favorite classical guitarist to this day, was an inspiration. The piece segues into the beautiful concluding section which is based upon a John Dowland work. Amazing how beautifully Julian plays this at his age - I did not go on YT to check the dates of this performance, but he is phenomenal. I had the pleasure of seeing Bream perform on three occasions, and he was wonderful.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ View Post
    From what I've heard (i.e., a first hand account from someone Bream asked to duet with in a jazz setting) , no he can't.

If you watch his documentary, he actually had a one-off gig playing jazz guitar with a big band. the band leader thanked him for helping out (he was subbing) and, if Bream would come back tomorrow, he would get a rhythm guitar lesson.
    That's fine. I can't even remember my source so I'll take your word for it. In the classical realm, though, I didn't get a sense of Bream's musicality until I started a/b ing some pieces. He might not have the technical facility of some others, but he sure can tell a story.

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ View Post

and if you read a life on the road, you'll find that the answer to the question is longer than a soundbite.

Quote Originally Posted by jbernstein91 View Post
    Found it in this wonderful Swedish documentary made when Stravinsky was still alive; the Bream bit starts at around 7:09.

Watch the whole thing: among the many other wonderful bits is a Zappa-esque one, in which Stravinsky is greeted at the University of Texas and presented with a cowboy hat, which he graciously accepts and dons (starting at 39:58).

Actually, that clip (and many others in that Swedish compilation) are from a Canadian documentary.

Stravinsky by Wolf Koenig, Roman Kroitor - NFB

This was filmed during Stravinsky's visits to Canada in the 1960s.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed