Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 51 to 62 of 62
  1. #51

    User Info Menu

    What he did to Barrios was an anathema.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #52

    User Info Menu

    I studied with Michael Chapdelaine at Aspen Music school 1976 maybe 77. Oscar Ghiglia ( a disciple of Segovia and the "old school) was the primary instructor along with Elliot Fisk. During a lesson with Ghiglia I was performing a Scarlatti sonata he had recorded. ( I used his fingerings FWIW). At one point he said "go back to measure 18". As I looked to the sheet music he snatched the score off the stand and loudly said "measure 18". I guessed the spot he was referring to and played.. He put the music back on the stand and said "see, you don't need to look at the music". I was happy when the lesson was over. I've also performed for a Leo Brouwer master class in Toronto. A piece he composed called "Canticum". I was scared to death. Got through it and he could not have been more gracious and encouraging, autographing my score. I was elated beyond belief.

  4. #53

    User Info Menu

    "What he did to Barrios was an anathema"

    Who is "he" ?

    And would that not be "anathema" without the "the" ?

    P. Dantic



















    Last edited by bohemian46; 10-23-2020 at 11:47 PM.

  5. #54

    User Info Menu

    I have no position except to post factual information. ..
    and an observation with information that counters ghe content of observations and comments of other posters.

    Your comments suggest Segovia ruined "MC's" career ad that "MC" had no part in it.

    Must we resort to politics?

    I think we have had enough of politics in the last 4 years to last several lifetimes.

  6. #55

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by bohemian46

    "What he did to Barrios was an anathema"

    Who is "he" ?

    And would that not be "anathema" without the "the" ?
    I have no position except to post factual information. ..
    and an observation with information that counters ghe content of observations and comments of other posters.

    Your comments suggest Segovia ruined "MC's" career ad that "MC" had no part in it.

    Must we resort to politics?

    I think we have had enough of politics in the last 4 years to last several lifetimes.
    "He" was Segovia, of whom this thread is primarily about. (Notice that I structured that without ending the sentence with a preposition). I never even mentioned or referred to MC. My apologies for putting "an" before anathema. (Still looking for where I put "the" as well as any politics). Perhaps the admins can correct my grammar.

    His (Segovia's) hostility toward Barrios is well established and I incorrectly assumed that it was a well known fact.

    Correct reading and a quick question before jumping to conclusions might be a good way to prevent hostile response.

  7. #56

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by rsclosson
    "He" was Segovia, of whom this thread is primarily about. (Notice that I structured that without ending the sentence with a preposition). I never even mentioned or referred to MC. My apologies for putting "an" before anathema. (Still looking for where I put "the" as well as any politics). Perhaps the admins can correct my grammar.

    His (Segovia's) hostility toward Barrios is well established and I incorrectly assumed that it was a well known fact.

    Correct reading and a quick question before jumping to conclusions might be a good way to prevent hostile response.
    In the 80’s and 90’s there were several books on the subject. In Barrios’ journal he assumed Segovia would add to his concert repertoire Barrios’ La Caterdral. He did not. The issue likely sprung from two guys claiming to be the best. Despite coming from Paraguay, Barrios was not self taught like the Spaniard.

    Supporters of Barrios claimed it was not only jealous rivalry, but Segovia found La Caterdral too hard. The former certainly seemed the case, but the latter I seriously doubt.

  8. #57

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Alder Statesman
    In the 80’s and 90’s there were several books on the subject. In Barrios’ journal he assumed Segovia would add to his concert repertoire Barrios’ La Caterdral. He did not. The issue likely sprung from two guys claiming to be the best. Despite coming from Paraguay, Barrios was not self taught like the Spaniard.

    Supporters of Barrios claimed it was not only jealous rivalry, but Segovia found La Caterdral too hard. The former certainly seemed the case, but the latter I seriously doubt.
    Perhaps he feared his technical and composition abilities. He was also critical of Barrios’ use of steel strings. (The humidity in his country made gut strings very impractical)

  9. #58

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by bohemian46
    I have no position except to post factual information. ..
    and an observation with information that counters ghe content of observations and comments of other posters.

    Your comments suggest Segovia ruined "MC's" career ad that "MC" had no part in it.

    Must we resort to politics?

    I think we have had enough of politics in the last 4 years to last several lifetimes.
    No, my comments suggest that the unfounded gossip that MC 'disrespected' Segovia ruined his career

  10. #59

    User Info Menu

    Barrios was more than capable of promoting his own music, so not sure how Segovia damaged him. No performer can cover 100% of the repertoire. He refused to play Frank Martin as well
    Anyway always preferred Ponce's music

    Would have been great also if Segovia had approached Bartok or Schoenberg, but that was not who he was as a musician

  11. #60

    User Info Menu

    Chapdelaine was far from arrogant. Fortunately, he has maintained a successful worldwide career without having to kiss up to Segovia's ego. Segovia students were there to learn, not to slavishly copy an old-fashioned style from the century before. The classical guitar became far more popular around the world when Bream and Williams brought it into the 20th century.

  12. #61

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Stackabones
    I love hearing masters talking about their field, especially when they have strong opinions. Segovia, I believe, would have had a difficult time in our give-a-gold-star-to-every-student culture. Today's attitude is to deconstruct the masters so that they are meaningless. Now, we have to chastise the "patriarchal hegemony" and diligently argue about the possiblities of an Eskimo Shakespeare.
    Want a hankie?

  13. #62

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Alder Statesman

    Supporters of Barrios claimed it was not only jealous rivalry, but Segovia found La Caterdral too hard. The former certainly seemed the case, but the latter I seriously doubt.
    right, this is more difficult, both musically and technically than anything Barrios wrote