Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 51 to 64 of 64
    Idolize no one.
    Ignorance is agony.

2. # ADS
    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I think many lies has been told about Segovia, but sure He only saw the guitar in a limited way. But We don't care, We can take whatever We like from Segovia, and the things we like from Wes, Chet, Jimmy,..., his limits cannot be ours.
    One of the wrong legend pursuing Segovia's memory is about the dismissing of Barrios music. This is not true, Segovia was amazed by "La Catedral", but Barrios was badly advised by his managers and He never sent the asked composition to Spain. It wasn't Segovia's fault.
    Some people said He was rude as a teacher, but Charlie Byrd said kind words about Segovia's methodology. The maestro only wanted that his students followed his instructions, They could always look for another master if not.
    Olivier Messiaen didn't like jazz at all, but many jazz players are incorporating his ideas to this music, just as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Conrad View Post
    Is it really to hard to understand why he became angry when someone chose to undo all his work for no particular reason? He was a Spaniard after all! Diligent in his work beyond description, but quick to admonish those who seemingly had little regard for his sacrifice of blood.
    As a spaniard, I don't know if that's a compliment, but I will take it as such.

No doubt Segovia was a virtuoso, but also an asshole. He considered himself the best guitarist and sure he and his manager sold that very well even abroad. But the thing is he wasn't the only Maestro. Check out Narciso Yepes, you'll be blown away I promise. No need to mention Paco de Lucia, he played classical a lot (check out Concierto de Aranjuez) and he was able to play with DiMeola, McLaughlin or Chick Corea without knowing a thing about jazz, to me that's a real virtuoso, and he was the opposite to Segovia, a very humble person, not an extremist that embraced different styles.

You cannot say that.

Quote Originally Posted by sjl View Post
    You cannot say that.
    What exactly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why has He to say something good about music he didn't like? He was real, he wasn't hypocrite.
    What puts you into a moral place for saying such things about him? Did you meet him?
    Why do not you forgive something that his contemporaries did forgive?
    What easy is to say bad words about someone dead.
    He was rude, He was angry sometimes, He was passionate,..., He was everything the guitar needed at that time.

Why has He to say something good about music he didn't like? He was real, he wasn't hypocrite.
    What puts you into a moral place for saying such things about him? Did you meet him?
    Why do not you forgive something that his contemporaries did forgive?
    What easy is to say bad words about someone dead.
    He was rude, He was angry sometimes, He was passionate,..., He was everything the guitar needed at that time.
    But he was not a god, and he occasionally went out of his way to squelch his competition. We all have the moral position to have opinions, especially of such a public persona. There were guitarists his equal at that time, but he sucked all the oxygen out of the guitar world, and his stubborn insistence that the students play his fingerings and interpretations is really the opposite of what a "teacher" should do, which is to encourage individuality and creativity. The guitar is very fortunate to have developed individuals like Bream and Williams to expand the Segovia model and explore its use in other contexts. Segovia's dismissal of flamenco guitar is, as far as I'm concerned, nearly criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by Stackabones View Post
    I love hearing masters talking about their field, especially when they have strong opinions. Segovia, I believe, would have had a difficult time in our give-a-gold-star-to-every-student culture. Today's attitude is to deconstruct the masters so that they are meaningless. Now, we have to chastise the "patriarchal hegemony" and diligently argue about the possiblities of an Eskimo Shakespeare.
    Nothing new about that, it's gone on for centuries. Un fortunately, those that fail to recognize the truth of those complaints are the ones who perpetuate the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Henry View Post
    Off topic (slightly): So why are so many Hollywood actors automaticaly national experts on so many subjects other than making money by pretending to be someone else?
    It must be said, I do not condone Segovia's personal attitudes & views outside of guitar, but let's face it, in today's world where everyone must tow the correct view on public issues (whether a particular correct view is beneficial for society or not), Segovia would never have have been more than quaint a regional oddity. None of us are perfect. Not that we need more abusive or mean people, but the world sure could use a lot more less-well-rounded people.

Ridiculous, from the first word to the last. Hollywood actors are not experts, nor do they claim to be, but they get exposure, and are asked their opinions. And in today's world, the evolution of society should be towards enlightenment, not away from it. As far as well-rounded is concerned, the world is round.

As a guitarist I am so grateful to players like Bream and Williams. Have I to choose between them and their teachers?
    This post is finished for me, I can't see the reasons for taking down the memory of such and important figure in music.
    Some time ago, in other forum, the same thing happened with Tárrega: His playing wasn't impressive, mediocre player, corky compositions, bla, bla, bla, ...
    How many blues players today are technically better than Robert Johnson?
    People would be more respectful about an unknown Segovia with all his life collected in 29 songs.
    Last edited by sjl; 06-10-2017 at 06:27 PM.

As a guitarist I am so grateful to players like Bream and Williams. Have I to choose between them and their teachers?
    This post is finished for me, I can't see the reasons for taking down the memory of such and important figure in music.
    Some time ago, in other forum, the same thing happened with Tárrega: His playing wasn't impressive, mediocre player, corky compositions, bla, bla, bla, ...
    How many blues players today are technically better than Robert Johnson?
    People would be more respectful about an unknown Segovia with all his life collected in 29 songs.
    Stop whining. Respect is earned, Segovia has earned a lot, but not to be looked at as a god like you want.

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz View Post
    Stop whining.
    I'm speechless. Anyway, everyone has the freedom to choose his gods.

And everyone has freedom to respond.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed