The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

you are trying to shoehorn 20th c music into common practice analysis. not going to give very satisfactory results. music from wagner on bent those practices beyond recognition.

if you really want to "understand" this music you will need to acquire the tools ("when the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to look like a nail."). this is graduate school level analysis. if you are near a university, try to get some time with the theory professor, maybe you can arrange private instruction, or (s)he can point you to useful books.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks Randall. But I thought Wagner and Strauss were still within tonal music. A lot of the tune makes perfect sense.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

maybe here...

http://imslp.org/wik..

I will have to go and look myself...

But if you just google "classical guitar music" you should find some...if not much...

time on the instrument...

User Info Menu

I mentioned this website on a different thread. Classical Clef has nearly 5,000 tunes for free download. Ranging from Baroque to modern. 90% is classical, but some jazz and pop. Most is standard notation plus tab. I have looked at a lot of websites, and I have arranged a lot of my own stuff from classical piano scores, but this site is a treasure trove.

www.classclef.com

Jon

Unfortunately no R. Strauss on that site. I'm mostly interested in him because I'm told that he took functional harmony the furthest. Where did the guys who were writing standards get those changes from? Standards seem more complex than what you find in say Verdi. But less complex than what you find in Strauss. Whenever there is some really difficult tune that comes up there always seems to be somebody saying it ain't modal, all the changes are standard Late Romantic fare. But I don't know who counts as Late Romantic besides Strauss and I guess Wagner. I don't think they mean Ravel and Debussy.
    Last edited by jster; 10-22-2013 at 06:53 PM.

http://www.amazon.com/Classical-Fake-Second-Edition-Books/dp/0793513294

I own this book and very much enjoy it.
    Conservatory trained classical musicians might be unimpressed, but we high school band drop outs love it.

User Info Menu