Keith Jarrett is certainly eccentric, though brilliant. As I recall he played a lot of electric piano and organ with Miles Davis back in the day, maybe he's reformed since then? (Actually I just found the article where he discusses it and calls electric instruments toys: http://jazztimes.com/articles/14383-...tt-whisper-not)

Re' electric guitar, it is really a different instrument from acoustic in so many ways, kind of like a pipe organ is different from a piano.

I saw John McLaughlin live when he was playing his Belo Horizonte stuff--sat about 20 feet from him--it's unbelievable how fast he played that nylon string. He has discussed his instrument choices in several articles of course. Check out the YouTube video of him playing Cherokee with the Tonight Show band--just blows the place apart. I liked his acoustic stuff, not so crazy about his heavily modded or synthesized sounds, actually prefer him playing a 335 or similar standard electric, ala Electric Guitarist and Electric Dreams.

I played with a pick when I had a hybrid nylon string with a narrow nut, but on a standard neck I think fingerpicking works better--not so natural to maneuver the pick around all that real estate.