The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 65 of 65

User Info Menu

Thanks for the response, and Bon Voyage!

I think in my mind's aural space I hear a guitar that is not strictly 'classical' in the purest sense, but nylon string with less bass sustain and more 'pianistic' in terms of clarity of tone and overtones. Kind of like Ralph Towner's guitar, but on the cheap! Jokes aside...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If his guitars meet your budget requirements, you may want to discuss with Stephen Holst (http://www.pacinfo.com/~sholst/nylon.htm). I have two of his instruments and can recommend him unreservedly as a luthier and a gentleman.

Chuck

User Info Menu

Thanks for the recommendation, Chuck! I will check out his site. The name rings familiar, too.

Jay

User Info Menu

Kenny Hill's guitars are well-made and come in a variety of scale lengths as well.

User Info Menu

Yeah, the synth stuff is both crazy and awesome. The possibilities are endless there . . .

User Info Menu

It's hard to beat finding a guitar you like and outfitting it with the RMC system that Godin uses. Both the guitar sound and the synth tracking are really excellent. I tend to wear my working guitars out, and have transferred my RMC system through 4 guitars before finally having to replace the system (with a new RMC) because of obsolescence. I curremtly have the system in an Aparicio flamenco 7-string, amazing sounds.

User Info Menu

The Cordoba GK Studio is nice. I bought mine right out of the box at GC and haven't done a thing but restring it. Decent electronics (dual source kind of thing - even has a built in tuner) Neck is slightly narrower than full 2" classical - maybe 1-7/8". It's real comfortable to play. It's, basically, a cutaway flamenco guitar (Spanish cypress back & sides) although they do make a rosewood flamenco negra model for a little more money. I think I paid $600 for mine 'out-the-door' with a nice gig bag. Also check out Tom Prisloe's made in Spain line, especially the TP 30.

User Info Menu

I picked up a Cordoba GK Studio a few weeks ago. It is at the repair shop right now being setup. I tried out every nylon guitar at my local Guitar shop (at least 20 of them) and liked the GK studio the best although it was not the most expensive by a long shot. Previously I had been playing a Yamaha SLG but found that without plugging it in, I am playing way too hard, at least for the bossa I do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    The Cordoba GK Studio is nice. I bought mine right out of the box at GC and haven't done a thing but restring it. Decent electronics (dual source kind of thing - even has a built in tuner) Neck is slightly narrower than full 2" classical - maybe 1-7/8". It's real comfortable to play. It's, basically, a cutaway flamenco guitar (Spanish cypress back & sides) although they do make a rosewood flamenco negra model for a little more money. I think I paid $600 for mine 'out-the-door' with a nice gig bag. Also check out Tom Prisloe's made in Spain line, especially the TP 30.
    Is it a solid top, or laminate? Is the fingerboard flat, or slightly radiused? Thanks.

User Info Menu

I think the back and sides are laminated cypress and the the top is solid European spruce.

User Info Menu

It is an OK guitar. I have a problem with the intonation. But perhaps it is me since I am a tuning nut. I will bein Granada for a week and then in Cordoba for a few days and I was thinking of looking for a guitar. It has to have a tuner built in though, which might be hard to find. The body of the Cordoba is very light which is troubling....

User Info Menu

It is an OK guitar. I have a problem with the intonation. But perhaps it is me since I am a tuning nut. I will be in Granada for a week and then in Cordoba for a few days and I was thinking of looking for a guitar. It has to have a tuner built in though, which might be hard to find. The body of the Cordoba is very light which is troubling....

User Info Menu

Just got Godin Multiac Grand concert 7-string nylon, excellent guitar for the money, synth access, RMC pickups, compensated bridge, perfectly acceptable acoustic sound for practicing, lighter than expected, and plays very nicely. Sounds awesome amplified, if you've heard Nelson Veras, you've heard the Godin system. Recommended.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    Just got Godin Multiac Grand concert 7-string nylon, excellent guitar for the money, synth access, RMC pickups, compensated bridge, perfectly acceptable acoustic sound for practicing, lighter than expected, and plays very nicely. Sounds awesome amplified, if you've heard Nelson Veras, you've heard the Godin system. Recommended.
    congrats!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by richb2
    It is an OK guitar. I have a problem with the intonation. But perhaps it is me since I am a tuning nut. I will be in Granada for a week and then in Cordoba for a few days and I was thinking of looking for a guitar. It has to have a tuner built in though, which might be hard to find. The body of the Cordoba is very light which is troubling....
    Flamenco guitars are very light, that's why they're loud and snappy. My Lester Devoe blanca is featherlight, but takes quite a beating during flamenco juergas without complaining.