The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 65

User Info Menu

Looking for a good slim neck nylon/electric guitar for for Jazz and standards. Would be interested in any suggestions on newer models or older ones I might be able to pick up. Would appreciate any info.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Godin multiac nylon. I don't find it anything to rave about but quite ok.

User Info Menu

I just bought a Taylor NS last week. I've wanted a nylon for years since I love working on Bossas.
    It feels good and plays nicely. The volume is lower than I would have expected. The electronics are supposed to be excellent and it is supposed to sound wonderful amplified although I haven't fooled around with that enough yet to comment. Not sure if the Taylor is the best bang for the buck but I am definitely enjoying it a lot and don't regret the purchase.

I was also tempted by the Godin, but I think it has zero acoustic sound and one of the things I was really looking for was a small guitar I could play wherever I wanted without an amplifier.

User Info Menu

Had a Godin and I liked it alot, but like you said no unpluged acoustic sound. Also never had the money or desire to use all the synth stuff. I played the new AEG Ibanez and was pretty suprised. A nice higher end Taylor or a McGill is always on the wish list. E-bay just posted a Gibson Chet Atkins nylon. That would be fun too but I think it has a wider neck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzchief1
    Had a Godin and I liked it alot, but like you said no unpluged acoustic sound. Also never had the money or desire to use all the synth stuff. I played the new AEG Ibanez and was pretty suprised. A nice higher end Taylor or a McGill is always on the wish list. E-bay just posted a Gibson Chet Atkins nylon. That would be fun too but I think it has a wider neck.
    Gibson Chet Atkins nylon has nut width 52mm.
    Not easy to play complicated jazz chords.
    May be you have to look for more semi-acoustic classical guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzchief1
    A nice higher end Taylor or a McGill is always on the wish list. E-bay just posted a Gibson Chet Atkins nylon. That would be fun too but I think it has a wider neck.
    You may be able to score a very nice deal on a Taylor if you're willing to get one 3-4 years old and can find one that the store has been having difficulty moving. I got a very nice surprise 800$ rebate on the sticker price when they saw me looking at the one I have now. It's a 4 year old model. Nylon string models aren't very much in demand so I imagine this type of thing is very doable if you're lucky enough to have a few in your vicinity. I think I got the only one in a store within 200 miles of where I live.

User Info Menu

I play nylon. But I need a cutaway. Do all these ones that you guys are talking about have cutaways?

User Info Menu

Taylors, Ibanez and Godins all have cutaways.

User Info Menu

Bartolex nylons have cutaways, and they come in 7-string models.

User Info Menu

Cordoba Orchestra Fusion! I played one in a store and liked it immediately. It has a very slightly radiused fretboard and is very easy to play.

Cheers,
    Evan

User Info Menu

Buscarino Cabaret, of course

User Info Menu

index

Looks interesting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    index

Looks interesting.
    I love the look. Fabulous looking guitars.

But, personally, I like a big fat neck. Bigger and fatter the better. Probably could get that custom.

And I wonder about the sound. It's tough to tell on the video, but it doesn't sound like it has as much low-end as an ordinary nylon string guitar. So that would be an immediate deal breaker. For me, nylon is about rich acoustic tone. Nylon string guitars have nice beautiful low ends. Wouldn't want to give that up. The challenge is to somehow put just a bit of edge on the high end.

But I like the direction the guy is going in with those guitars. And he's not afraid to play nylon with a pick.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jster
    I love the look. Fabulous looking guitars.

But, personally, I like a big fat neck. Bigger and fatter the better. Probably could get that custom.

And I wonder about the sound. It's tough to tell on the video, but it doesn't sound like it has as much low-end as an ordinary nylon string guitar. So that would be an immediate deal breaker. For me, nylon is about rich acoustic tone. Nylon string guitars have nice beautiful low ends. Wouldn't want to give that up. The challenge is to somehow put just a bit of edge on the high end.

But I like the direction the guy is going in with those guitars. And he's not afraid to play nylon with a pick.
    Hi,
    I've used about 10 years arch-top nylon strings guitar/Henneken Concerto/.The sound was very good-special with AER amp.
    I used it for fingerstyle playing.My model was with Fishman electronic.
    Good piezzo pickup is very imortant for that kind of guitars.

User Info Menu

Hey Kris,

I wasn't even thinking about amplification. He's not amplifying it in the video is he?

Oh, I see, more than one video. OK.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jster
    Hey Kris,

I wasn't even thinking about amplification. He's not amplifying it in the video is he?

Oh, I see, more than one video. OK.
    You are right.
    Arch-top guitar with nylon strings is different than standard classical guitar.
    It is not so loud like classical and it has different sound/because of completly different construction/.
    I do not think so anybody can play solo concert on it without amplification.

User Info Menu

Do the classical guys use piezzo pick ups? Or just microphones?

User Info Menu

I think classical guys use microphones.They use very expensive instruments .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumblefingers
    Buscarino Cabaret, of course
    1.5 year wait time, of course.

There's also Rich di Carlo and Kirk Sands who make wonderful customs. I think you can do this if you are replacing a guitar of the same type that you already own, but not for the first dip in the pool for a new type of guitar. The wait would be pure torture.
    Last edited by peterk1; 02-24-2013 at 05:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by peterk1
    1.5 year wait time, of course.

There's also Rich di Carlo and Kirk Sands who make wonderful customs. I think you can do this if you are replacing a guitar of the same type that you already own, but not for the first dip in the pool for a new type of guitar. The wait would be pure torture.
    Great instrumants are expensive!Attachment 6143
    Last edited by kris; 02-24-2013 at 05:49 PM.

User Info Menu

I think this model of Carvin Cl 450 is a very nice nylon strings guitar.

User Info Menu

There has been much talk of bank breaking, divorce making instruments but the poor man's answer is, get a decent 3/4 size classical. My Fender ESC80 cost £60 and is a charming little guitar with a 44mm nut, good intonation and, now that I have given it a brass saddle, quite a jazzy sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Gibson Chet Atkins nylon has nut width 52mm.
    Not easy to play complicated jazz chords.
    May be you have to look for more semi-acoustic classical guitar.
    There are two nut widths on the Chet's, at least the Gibsons, not sure on the Epis. I don't have it at hand, but I think the narrower one (CE) is closer to 45mm than the wider one (CEC).
    Brad

User Info Menu

Attachment 7207
    Sound was Ok...but neck was typical calasical nut 52 mm.
    sold...;-)

User Info Menu

Classical guys usually use mics, but several are using pickup systems nowadays. I just instyalled a Kremona on one of my good instruments, and it works really well, for only about $70.