The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 65

User Info Menu

You could find a classical you like and have the neck narrowed, by the way. My favorite 7-string was a flamenco 6-string that I converted; I imagine the reverse is probably easier.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There's the out-of-production Yamaha AEX-500. There's a couple of very slightly different models, and mine was an AEX-500N which indicates a natural finish (N). Regular guitar neck width rather than classical so it was fairly easy to switch between instruments. Single-cutaway body, too, with EQ controls arrayed along the upper bout. I was playing mine a lot a few years ago and really liked it, always getting compliments on the tone. Think more chambered solid-body construction (so there's little actual acoustic output), and it had a very nice 'acoustic' tone plugged in, although I doubt that anyone would mistake it for a Ramirez, etc. in a solo recording. Like I said, there were various slight design permutations along the way; mine had an F-hole and even a volume control on the face (i.e., Strat) so I could really adjust things on the fly (even doing a nylon-string volume swell if I felt like it. Cool!). These are still sometimes available on eBay for little money (got mine for only $200) but don't let that affect your perception of their worth since (IMO) great Yamaha instruments never seem to sell for what they're worth. Good luck if you're still searching.

User Info Menu

I've used Yamaha AEX-500/very nice guitar/.I play actually Frameworks. Attachment 7256Attachment 7260
    Last edited by kris; 05-24-2013 at 03:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Ha! Yup, that blonde one's just like mine. Nice guitar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ooglybong
    Ha! Yup, that blonde one's just like mine. Nice guitar!
    This guitar Yamaha AEX-500 will be great with a little bigger nut /like 48 mm/ and a little better piezzo pick up .
    Anyway it was comfortable to play,no feedback,nice semi-hollow construction.
    not expensive...+1..:-)

User Info Menu

My guitar teacher has a Yamaha AEX-500 and it's a great guitar. Really comfortable neck, and the tone is quite nice. Would like to get myself one someday.

User Info Menu

There are two great Jazz players out of Houston who I can think of who use a Godin Multiac Grand Concert. There's John Calderon, a fantastic and versatile guitarist, who recently toured with Al Jarreau. Then there's one of my many teachers, Paul Chester, who is one of the top dogs in Houston. I've actually sat down with Paul on a few occasions and talked about that guitar. He says the electronics are top notch. He seemed especially pleased with the mic simulations on the guitar. I got to play his once. It was well set up, and played very easily, I suppose due to a combination of nylon's low string tension and Paul's low action. I noticed it had quality woods, too, like an ebony fingerboard, a mahogany neck, and a top which I guess was cedar.

In summary, well-made guitar, praise-worthy electronics, not such an unbearable price tag. ($1,500, I think.)

User Info Menu

Cervantes Crossover is exactly what you're looking for:
    Cervantes Fine Classical Guitars, Hauser Concert

User Info Menu

Old thread, but no mention of the Cervantes Crossover?

Slightly different price range that the Buscarino Cabaret.

User Info Menu

I posted a new thread on this topic but as this is a thread devoted to nylon players maybe I should put it out there . Been trying to solve the difficulty of pick 'click' on nylon strings, the result of the pick hitting off a vibrating string, more problematic on nylon strings. I'm wondering if anyone has any techniques or ideas about this as it can be pretty horrible sounding at times. Looking at things like changing the angle of the pick, making my picking strokes faster, muting etc but not much success...

User Info Menu

Try Delrin picks or the Clayton brand of picks, they have a less brittle surface and sound more like fingernails.

User Info Menu

Have you checked out the Godin LaPatrie Hybrid (with cutaway), nylon strings, accoustic/electric. Sounds fine played through Polytone (circa 1978) amp. btw with a pick. My nails refuse to cooperate.

User Info Menu

I recommend the Breedlove Bossa Nova:

BREEDLOVE BOSSA NOVA W/HSC (BBN) - Elderly Instruments

It's very similar to the Taylor nylon crossovers, but the electronics are WAY better on the Breedlove. The one pictured in the link has a Fishman pickup system. That's not what you want. The newer ones have a Baggs Dual Source pickup/mic system that sounds really great and is much easier to control than the Fishman: iMix Acoustic Guitar Pickup - Microphone Mixing Systems | LR Baggs

I had a Bossa Nova that I sold recently because I needed an ES335 & couldn't justify the nylon string on my budget. But, it was a fabulous guitar.

User Info Menu

yamaha aex500n, was my main weapon of choice at one point amazing guitar... you can also look at the guild gc-2 or godin multaics...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by calgarc
    yamaha aex500n, was my main weapon of choice at one point amazing guitar... you can also look at the guild gc-2 or godin multaics...
    Attachment 9046AEX 500 N...really nice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Attachment 9046AEX 500 N...really nice!
    i had modded mine by adding a metal tailpiece and jazz strings

Slim-Neck Nylon Guitar for Jazz-cimg00051-e1352591756852-jpg

User Info Menu

Interesting!

User Info Menu

A few years ago I bought a Godin LaPatrie Hybrid with cutaway, has a beautiful warm sound without the amp too. I'm working on chord melody in a book called Jazz Guitar Standards (Mel Bay) and am delighted with the sound of this instrument. Plus the tensile strength of these nylon strings is amazing, considering I'm using a pick . Walk by, pick it up, play a few lines and be on your way. What could be easier? Good Luck!

Regards,

Jim

User Info Menu

I just bought a Yamaha SLG110N which is a bodyless guitar. It had slightly high action so I had a luthier bring it down. It is a little better now.

User Info Menu

Those Yamaha ain't half bad...cool Lil axe.

I can't say enough about my Godin grand concert duet ambiance. Just excellent.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by calgarc
    i had modded mine by adding a metal tailpiece and jazz strings

Slim-Neck Nylon Guitar for Jazz-cimg00051-e1352591756852-jpg
    What brand and thickness are considered jazz strings for a nylon string? I just put medium hards on my nylon string. I was thinking maybe I should go harder.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Those Yamaha ain't half bad...cool Lil axe.

I can't say enough about my Godin grand concert duet ambiance. Just excellent.

I can second that - I recently got my hands on a Godin Duet Ambience and it is a fabulous guitar. Strangely quite loud acoustically and lot of plugged in sound options. The neck on the guitar feels easier to play than my Ramirez classical guitar (costing twice the price). Godin also produce nylon electrics with thinner necks.

User Info Menu

Try the Lowden S25J (cedar top) or S32J (spruce top)

User Info Menu

I was just to my local music shop this morning and came across the Yamaha NTX900FM so I sat down with it for a half hour or so. Interesting instrument. Since no-one has really mentioned this model yet, I thought I'd offer some of my first impressions with the hopes that they might be helpful...starting with the one or two negatives, if you can call them that.

After a lifetime of playing and making classicals, I found the acoustic sound disappointing, although not unpleasant. It seemed lacking in volume, quite understated with a somewhat muffled tone, especially the bass. It sounded a bit over built and tight...but with surprisingly great sustain throughout the range.

Plugged in was another matter. Played through the store Yamaha THR10 it had a very pleasant warm tone, much like I'd imagine your favorite acoustic archtop equiped with nylon strings.

Unlike most classical players, I play with a strap and either standing or sitting " traditional Flamenco style" with the lower bout of the guitar resting on my right thigh. I didn't try the NTX900FM with a strap but in my regular sitting position it felt wonderfully balanced, as it just settled in and stuck there. I'm used to the neck on my 19th century reproductions which are in the range of 44 -46+/- mm at the nut so the 48 mm nut of the Yamaha was perfect for my hand. The spacing at the bridge felt, at first, a little tighter than I'm used to (not sure what it was but most of my nylon instruments are in the 60 mm range 1st - 6th strings on center) but after playing for a few minutes I no longer noticed. I found that the neck felt fast and easy to navigate with my "classically" trained left hand. If one uses the left hand thumb over fretting, I cannot comment as I have never played that way so wouldn't really know what to look for.

Finish and workmanship wise (the luthier eye always goes there very quickly) it's top notch with nice materials, tight joints, finely crafted details, a little heavy on the finish for my taste but nicely done...all the things one can expect from a Yamaha.

So, as I said, these are just my impressions from a very short time with the instrument. But as a classically trained player/builder looking to dabble in jazz it's an instrument that I was thinking to build for my own use...now that someone else already did and at a very reasonable price, I don't have to...
    Last edited by Scot Tremblay; 01-25-2014 at 04:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Scott - Taking into consideration especially your experience as a luthier, I would love to hear your opinion on a question of mine regarding a classical guitar with a cutaway designed for playing jazz.

I have nearly a half century of playing experience, starting with a few years of classical training as a callow youth. I would consider myself an advanced player in terms of technique and musicianship. I have played a relatively inexpensive Yamaha classical as my main classical guitar since the Eighties, though I often play a Yamaha short scale originally intended for my young son years ago. But I would like a jazz-oriented classical guitar with a cutaway and amplification, perhaps a 630 or 640 mm scale, that would achieve a balance between sustain and clarity of individual notes for playing solo and 'chamber' jazz guitar in the Martin Taylor - Joe Pass style. Unfortunately, I suspect that the cost of a commissioned custom instrument might be out of reach in terms of financials right now.

So, if you were looking for an non-custom designed classical maker, where would you look? I am familiar with the Godin classicals and own an LGX- SA (synth access) electric, but I'm not totally enamored of the multiac classical sound. In my original conception of an ideal classical I also originally wanted to incorporate a hexaphonic style pickup for driving my Roland guitar synth and for use with notation software (Sibelius), but lately I think that is less of a priority than a fine jazz nylon sound. For the moment my use of the guitar will be directed primarily toward recording.

I know there are other options including Buscarino, Hill, and Sand guitars, but I suspect they might be out of reach financially, though I know Hill makes some short scale models. Any thought on your end on alternatives? Or should I take a chance on an upcoming luthier for a custom guitar?

Jay