Likes Likes:  0
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

I have an Aria Sinsonida nylon (which is a licensed replica of the Soloette). It's been great travel guitar except for the Soloette pickup system, which is a hollow tube over which the strings rest (looks like an old Gibson bar bridge) and from which a small condenser mic picks up the sound inside. It sounds really dreadful, especially plugged into an amp. My plan is to convert into a regular classical guitar bridge with an undersaddle transducer so I can actually play the thing through an amp and get a respectable sound. I have the bridge and the pickup ordered online; just waiting for it to arrive. Anyone else try anything like this?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Cool! Can't help you, sorry, but I have a Sinsonido Steelstring and am playing with the thought of disconnecting the 'tube-pu' and putting a nice P90 in it... I think your conversion shouldn't be too hard. If the Sinsonido's body is wide enough to fit a classic bridge (without the 'wings') and perhaps shape it's base to fit into the routed channel for the tubular PU, then all you have to do is to connect the piezo to the electronics, the hole for the wire is already there. I would check what value pots and tone caps the piezo needs.

:: Jazz, Funk, Soul & Boogaloo: My group ::
    ::::::: Listen to Hip Jazz a Go Go! :::::::
    :: Jazz, Soul, Blues: Eva & The Tracies :::

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nylonstring View Post
    I have an Aria Sinsonida nylon (which is a licensed replica of the Soloette). It's been great travel guitar except for the Soloette pickup system, which is a hollow tube over which the strings rest (looks like an old Gibson bar bridge) and from which a small condenser mic picks up the sound inside. It sounds really dreadful, especially plugged into an amp. My plan is to convert into a regular classical guitar bridge with an undersaddle transducer so I can actually play the thing through an amp and get a respectable sound. I have the bridge and the pickup ordered online; just waiting for it to arrive. Anyone else try anything like this?
    I was able to make the conversion for about $25. Bought a coaxial type under saddle transducer with preamp online for just over $20, and a classical guitar bridge for about $3.50. I ended up not using the bridge. The soloette bridge that housed the tube had a channel routered in it for the wires for the condenser mics the fit in each end of the tube. I took a razor knife, popped the condenser mics out of the end of the tube, pulled the stock preamp & jack out, then installed the new preamp. I wired the stock battery to the new preamp, ran the transducer cable out of one of the holes for the pots on the old stock preamp (the new one has no tone or volume pot--you have to control that either with the amp or a DI box), and put the coaxial cable right in the groove under the old saddle tube. I'll have to be careful of the wire from the coaxial cable, since it's kind of hanging out there, but the improved sound is worth it to me. I may experiment by replacing the stock tube, which seems to be a crappy plastic thing, with a steel bar, to see if that improves the sound. But right now it's working just fine. All together it only took me about 2 hours, and a lot of that was staring at the parts and thinking about what to do. Here's a link to a video I did where I recorded a song with the original pickup, then again the same song after making the change.

User Info Menu

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]
    By the way, Jasper, there's a terrific player from Australia (now living in France) by the name of Cory Sea whose done just the sort of modification you are talking about. Here's a link to one of his videos, and in the comments he explains the modification.

Cheers

User Info Menu

I 've used Sinsonido nylon string few years ago.
    I did modification : new ebony bridge, HEX piezzo LrBaggs,EMG preamp.
    The sound was quite good.I used it on gigs.
    I sold this guitar few yers ago.
    converting soloette bridge pu-k-wolinski-3-jpg

User Info Menu

I'm glad it worked out Don! Thanks for your info too Kris. Now I'm really inspired to convert mine too! The P90 is already in the house... I'll check out the videos you guys posted tonight (I'm earning the living today working for the boss... ;-)

User Info Menu

I also just found this: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8457628&type=3 (I guess you have to be logged in to facebook to see it). I think fitting a new bridge and/or pick up is well worth the effort since the Sinsonido is so comfortable to play and a nearly indestructible travel guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay View Post
    I also just found this: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8457628&type=3 (I guess you have to be logged in to facebook to see it). I think fitting a new bridge and/or pick up is well worth the effort since the Sinsonido is so comfortable to play and a nearly indestructible travel guitar.
    Wow, that was just the kind of thing I was looking for when I was contemplating this. Good luck, Jasper.

User Info Menu

Alright! I put a Seymour Duncan "Little '59" (a humbucker in single coil (Strat-)format) in my Sinsonido and wow!! That sounds really great. I removed the old electronics and the battery compartment and put in some 500k minipots, a .047mF cap in a typical Gibson-esque one-PU-one volume-one tone- configuration.

At the moment the tube-shape bridge/PU is still in there, I might replace that for a tune-o-matic or maybe even a rosewood jazz-type bridge.

I am going to glue a wooden plug into the empty battery compartment, to add some structural strength again (but it seems to hold up fine with .011 flatwounds).

I'll see if I can take some pics tonight.

(My Sinsonido is an electric with steelstrings, not a nylon classical.)

Got myself I wonderful travel guitar guitar now, that sounds and plays very good. Now I can even take it out to gig with!

User Info Menu

Here are some pics of the new pickup in my Sinsonido. The old Soloette-designed bridge PU is still on the guitar, but disconnected. It only functions as a bridge now, but I have plans to replace it by an ordinary tune-o-matic (I think that would add some 'mass' to the sound). The pickup ring is temporary (it's very crude) and will be replaced by a nice ebony one, shaped a bit more elegant. But for now it works.

(At the moment my video cam is charging to make some recordings ;-)

The new PU seen though the old battery compartment:

The old electronics that were removed: