Likes Likes:  0

User Info Menu

Any suggestions on playing chord melody Jazz Standards on a Godin LaPatrie Hybrid. I'm curious about what the classic guitarist commmunity thoughts are. Thanks in advance.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If it feels comfortable and sounds good then the action is ok! I personally like the nylon string action to be not too low, to avoid buzzing and increase volume.

User Info Menu

Keep the action as comfortable as you can get it without buzzes. Also, find guitar-friendly keys for your arrangements, sharp keys will utilize the open strings more frequently.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tips Gents. I am going to seek out a teacher for technique, but how do you handle a six string chord? All of my chord melody is on a 335 with probably too many full chords, however I like them a lot. Now on this guitar and fingers only, I'm a little confused. Suggestions please.

a six string chord

User Info Menu

Most 6-string chords contain the same note doubled an octave away once or twice. It is unnecessary, so eliminating one of those doubled notes helps. Generally, any chord voiced within the octave (this would leave out 9th, 11th, 13th chords) only has 4 notes anyway. It is rarely necessary to play all 6 strings in a jazz-style chord melody arrangement.

User Info Menu

Dear Members,
    I am a devoted Gibson Archtop Player and my two main tools are a 60's Switchmaster & a 1946 L5.

I love the best of jazz players but have also discovered some great players who are not recognized so much in the jazz world as they are in their own world.

Jerry Reed is a typical example that comes to mind, as a Country, Rock & Roller picker, when you hear his rendition of Hoagy's "Georgia," you know Jerry has a lot of Jazz influence in those gifted fingers.
    The point I'm getting to, is :
    Where can a frustrated Charlie Bird or Jerry Reed admirer get his hands on a Nylon Guitar with a fretboard 42mm (1-11/16) nut width and if at all possible, has as a bonus, a Fretboard that's radius.

I have tried a few Nylon's including Ramerez but nothing was ever 100%.
    My latest purchase, which was unbelievable value for money is the the Guild GN5-NAT with a 44mm none-radius nut, its a great guitar although if the built in pick-up was a Prismatone piezo pickup, or the McClish Pick-up, that would also improve the plugged-in sound.

So I'm thinking of having some Nylon Guitars made by a top Spanish manufacturer, with a view to re-selling these, on to others like me who have the same frustration.

I would be very grateful for any input or ideas that other members may have to offer.

Thanks for reading

Best Regards

Tony.
    tony@arnys-shack.com
    Last edited by Arny; 10-02-2012 at 08:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Tony, check out Cervantes guitars website. Alessandro makes beautiful guitars himself (Master Series), but he also has guitars made in Paracho, Mexico, which, like Valencia, Spain, is a town dedicated to building classical and flamenco guitars. Cervantes has a couple of "crossover"models that seem to fit perfectly into your requirements, and they are truly beautiful, well-made, very professional instruments, and sell very reasonably. He even has a couple of 7-string models. I would check him out first, before getting involved in manufacturing and selling a line. He's in San Diego. Also, if you're anywhere near Manhattan, check out Luthier music on W. 44th St., he sells a nice line of Valencia-made guitars, including crossover instruments. And, finally, the Godin classical models with RMC pickups are worth looking at.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz View Post
    Tony, check out Cervantes guitars website.
    I would check him out first, before getting involved in manufacturing and selling a line.
    check out Luthier music on W. 44th St., he sells a nice line of Valencia-made guitars, including crossover instruments.

And, finally, the Godin classical models with RMC pickups are worth looking at.
    Dear Ron,
    I checked out Cervantes, he now only stocks one "Crossover" which being 48mm at the nut when what is required is 42mm.

Waiting for a reply from Luthier Music but they look awfully expensive for what I feel most players would want to spend on what could end up being either an experimental guitar or at best a second guitar.
    I would hope to hit the market with a Valencia made guitar for under $1,500.

All of the Godin Nylon Guitars are not full size Spanish as far a I can see on their website.
    Having had a "Seagull" Jumbo and a "5th Avenue" Archtop in my workshop for the same client, I was very disappointed with Godin's final inspection team, before allowing an instrument into the market.

There is also the Gitane 560, but one company (Thomann de) claim the nut to be 50mm, while DjangoBooks.com. claim it to be 42mm (1 15/16) $1,120 USD

I have written to both companies asking who is correct.

Many Thanks Ron for replying.

Best Regards

Tony
    tony@arnys-shack.com

Ccrdoba's Fusion Orchestra is 650mm / 48mm with a radiused fretboard. I played one recently and really enjoyed both the tone and feel. 48 sure is close to 52, but the feel was so much more comfortable. aparently, There aren't many nylon string guitars with a radiused fretboard.
    Cheers,
    Evan