The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Thank you Mr B. and Mike... you are true gentlemen and I totally respect your opinions.

One of my favorite diversions (or maybe vices) is to observe how human ideas evolve. It fascinates me how ideas explode, begin to orbit around a center of gravity, then converge to single concept only to sprout in new directions. (E=Mc2) Jazz is a great subject for this since old ideas stay alive as recordings. As I watch jazz grow freely in all directions like a tree with many branches, I always find myself wondering whether a particular branch will survive or die. It appears to me that the branches that survive are very well fed by the roots.

Its also fun to observe how an individual artist's music evolves from its own sources. In fact I have listened to each of your online music samples and I somehow think I know you now.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I'm glad I started this thread, although I got the feeling some posters didn't think the classical ideas were relevant. I think tradition and history are as important as new ideas and I'm glad to see so many others feel the same.

Jake, I wish we (as classical students) were made to take a few semesters of Jazz on our primary instrument. We do rely greatly on the sheet music and have a hard time swinging! I also have a hard time with how vague, or not literal, some jazz scores are;especially rhythmically.

As for Palestrina, he saved western music at that time, as much as Schoenberg tried to destroy it in his time!

Love these posts so far
    Sailor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mike walker
    Classical music stopped at Palestrina, and anyone who disagrees gets a damned good thrashing!!
    HOW DARE YOU!!! That's pure madness!!!11!!1!1

Classical music was ruined by polyphony! And then it was ruined again by equal temperament!!!

User Info Menu

Jazz is just music, 12 notes, so take from where ever you like, add your own thing and create something new.

Everything on the planet has history, but assimilating and then evolving has always been the way to progress.

Funchal

User Info Menu

Stacka,
    Who was Polyphony?? Plus, music was greatly improved when more than one note at a time could be played, like, say, just a rough example, two notes.

Also, some of the most spectacular jazz i ever heard was by a guy who wore boxing gloves. The arpeggio work on the ballads was emotionally draining.

As far as Gentlemen are concerned, it takes one to know one Jazza.

Mike

Stackabones I can't tell if your being facetious or not?? LOL

Palestrina did "save" music - and is well-tempered tuning bad??

Funchal - it is just twelve tones, but look what happens when you use ALL of them; penderecki , stockhausen, schoenberg, cage ........ I like Major and Minor.

Sailor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor
    Stackabones I can't tell if your being facetious or not?? LOL

Palestrina did "save" music - and is well-tempered tuning bad??

LOL!!! Gotcha!

As far as equal temperament, let me finish reading this book and I'll let you know ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzaluk

Its also fun to observe how an individual artist's music evolves from its own sources. In fact I have listened to each of your online music samples and I somehow think I know you now.
    uh oh...what did you find out about me, other than that i listen to too much ed bickert?

Stackabones you're too clever...I still can't tell if your laughing with or at??

Looks like a cool book, how about a synopsis??

Sailor

User Info Menu

Laughing at surely. Where's the fun in laughing with?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor
    Stackabones you're too clever...I still can't tell if your laughing with or at??

Looks like a cool book, how about a synopsis??

Sailor
    Check it out ...
    How Equal Temperament Ruined Harmony (Main Page)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    uh oh...what did you find out about me, other than that i listen to too much ed bickert?
    Yes I hear some Ed influence for sure. Have you ever heard of Bill Coon? You may hear yourself in his playing. All in all I like your style and look forward to your next addition. I have also copped a few phrases from your tunes.