Likes Likes:  0

User Info Menu

I have a mid level Alvarez Classical guitar. I like it because it has a preamp built in for electric playing and recording.
    My issue is this...I have changed out the strings a few times. I find that, after a period of time, my 'A' string keeps shredding off of it's winding. I keep my guitar in it's case and it is very frustrating that the string keeps shredding...any thoughts?
    More of a "Jazzophile". I don't know what I was thinking with "Jazzophobe".

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

More than likely a bad spot on either the bridge or at the nut, cutting into the windings. it could also be a bad run of A strings, if you;re using the same brand. Try a different brand or gauge, and check the bridge and nut where the string meets the bone.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I'm with Ron completely...I'm assuming the windings shred right at the saddle?
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

I'll check it out...thanks guys!

User Info Menu

If you can't take it to a luthier, (or, as in my case at the time can not afford to) try this-
    Go to the auto parts store and get a sheet of 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Cut a tiny piece off of the sheet, just enough to slide under the string where it contacts the saddle. Loosen the A string and slip the tiny piece of polishing paper under the string with the abrasive side down, so that the black (abrasive) side is contacting the saddle, not the string. This may well polish off any sharpness or burr on your saddle as you play the guitar.
    Try at your own risk of course.

User Info Menu

One of students has the EXACT same problem with his guitar, A Godin Multiac nylon string. It only happens on the A string as well. Such a strange coincidence. He still hasn't figured out what the cause is.
    What brand of strings are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Soco View Post
    One of students has the EXACT same problem with his guitar, A Godin Multiac nylon string. It only happens on the A string as well. Such a strange coincidence. He still hasn't figured out what the cause is.
    What brand of strings are you using?
    Trying out D'Addario Pro Arte Hard's. I actually took some sand paper to the slot on the bridge (very carefully), then re-strung the "A" (I detune it when it goes back in the case)...let's see what happens...

User Info Menu

I wouldn't bother detuning when putting the guitar in the case, unless you are talking about long term storage. The wound strings stretch like crazy and will go flat anyway. I think detuning adds to the back and forth friction over saddle and may exacerbate your problem.

User Info Menu

P.S.
    The Pro Arte Hards are great strings.