The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

Hello I make hardwood guitar footstools. After dealing with the tip over prone metal stands. I made a wood stand for myself and a friend asked me to make them one so....... If you would be interested please check out the Good Foot Guitar Footstool link as www.smarr.net

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks, but you already told us 6 days ago, when you joined. Once is enough. We tend to question the motives of forum users trying to sell stuff. $65 for a 6" tall walnut stool? What a bargain.

User Info Menu

I apologize to Cosmic Gumbo and anyone who was offended by my second post. My first post was a little premature as my website was not complete.

My second post was to a classical bend thread who I thought would find my product a little more useful. I did not realize some people had time to read every thread.

As far as a real bargain. If you are comparing my footstools to factory imports, no. But I think if you shop around for handmade custom sized hardwood footstools, consider time and materials, you will find they are well beyond reasonably priced.

User Info Menu

No apology necessary. They look nice.

The only thing that gives me pause is messing up that nice wood top with the bottom of my shoe.

Another question - are these adjustable or do I have to select a permanent height?

User Info Menu

Thanx. They have a hard finish so unless you are wearing golf shoes it shouldn't be a problem. They are not adjustable so you would need to decide on a permanent height.

User Info Menu

I'm having trouble accessing the site. Maybe it's temporary?

User Info Menu

No. It should be up. www.smarr.net then click on the Goodfoot link in the menu to the right

Let me know if you continue to have problems

User Info Menu

It's working for me now. Must have been a problem on my end. Thanks.

User Info Menu

I recently started using a folding metal stand (this one: On-Stage FS7850B Guitar Foot Rest at zZounds) which I use for my right foot while seated when practicing. It cost me less than $15, and I've encountered no stability issues whatsoever. I can fold it up and keep it out of the way when it's not in use so people don't trip over it.

User Info Menu

Nice looking footstools. You should try the delcamp forum for more exposure.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the complement and lead Dave70. I will look into posting on the delcamp forum

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    I recently started using a folding metal stand (this one: On-Stage FS7850B Guitar Foot Rest at zZounds) which I use for my right foot while seated when practicing. It cost me less than $15, and I've encountered no stability issues whatsoever. I can fold it up and keep it out of the way when it's not in use so people don't trip over it.
    That's what I use too. They come under several names in different countries and fron different shops, but they seems to be exactly the same - probably made in China. They are so cheap that I keep a couple of them around where I use to play guitar.

User Info Menu

Good Foot Guitar footstools will be discounted the month of Dec 2012

User Info Menu

Reminds me loony-bin, the dinning room after repair 2008

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    Me too. It's sold under other names as well. In Europe, Thomann has them for around the same price. So far, mine has lasted three years.

User Info Menu

I am in Europe, but my coutry has it's own shops, no flag in Thomann page

User Info Menu

I play seated most of the time and I've used various footstools over the years, with less than comfortable outcomes. Then I saw a classical player using a left-leg cushion with a standard chair, both feet on the ground. I asked him about it and immediately bought one - Dynarette - after trying it at the Guitar Shop in SF. Highly recommended, I use this every day and it works!

User Info Menu

No offense meant, and applause for anyone who makes any thing by hand..

As to the footstools..
    A general comment..
    Design, Materials, Workmanship and Uniqueness..
    Nothing distinctive about the product.

As to a specific comment.. the legs are too far inboard and the rubber tips are a deterrent to purchase. The round legs are incongruous with the tops. The sharp edge of the bottom of the top needs a "break".

Just my opinon. This is intended as a constructive observation.

Disclosure:
    Full time furniture maker.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your comments and definitely no offense taken from a full time furniture maker.

I understand as a furniture artist how you could find my footstool less than exciting.

As a musician first and a wood working hobbyist second my intention was to make a footstool that was functional, sturdy, somewhat attractive and reasonably priced. All the the handmade products I've see in US are very beautiful and well designed but are priced from $100 up and well worth it.

My intent is just to provide an option.
    Last edited by rmsmarr; 12-10-2012 at 11:15 AM.

User Info Menu

I have used metal folding stools in the past, and maybe I'm just heavy handed (footed) but I always end up flattening them and breaking the mechanism. Have been using two wooden ones I got from eBay a couple of years ago, had to modify them slightly as I broke them too, have now locked them into a fixed position with a metal bracket and a couple of screws. Keep meaning to make a couple of my own from scratch.

User Info Menu

I test mine by standing on them with both feet and bouncing around a bit. Which is pretty extreme considering I weight close to 200 pounds. Plus the stools need only to support the weight of my leg plus the guitar as I'm sitting when I use them.

I think you will find building a fixed height stool will be much sturdier and than any folding stool you can buy on the market. Good luck.

User Info Menu

rmsmarr

PM sent

User Info Menu

As of April I have lower even pricing for all hardwood footstools and have included a Hard Maple option. I have a few Poplar wood models left which I will be selling until current stock is gone. It you want a poplar footstool please email before purchasing to make sure I have one left for you. Thanks for looking and Happy guitaring.

http://home.comcast.net/~smarr/GoodFoot.htm

User Info Menu

Cool, I'll look this up. Been using an old shoebox for far too long!

User Info Menu

I'd be happy to invest in a high quality custom built footstool, except it would have to:

1/ Be height adjustable - when performing, chair heights differ so the footstool has to be able to compensate for this. More importantly, all the ones I've currently tried have been too high for what I want, and I suspect for many others as well. They're basically designed for classical players using a left leg technique not right leg/jazz/contemporary players. As a consequence the lowest height setting these classical footstools offer is still too high a lot of the time IMO.

2/ Be able to fold up/disassemble in a form that is portable.

Since I haven't been able to find one that offers the height options I want, I'm tempted to design something for myself when I've got the time - I thought about thin layers of rubber or something similar that I could stack up one at a time until I worked out the optimum height for the chair I was using at that moment.

I've used classical leg rests, and designed my own right leg cushions but still prefer a footstool in terms of stability.

Reading this post I feel a bit obsessive, except for the fact that concert pianists have adjustable seats and are extremely pedantic about making sure their height is correct and consistent from performance to performance.