The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

I played classical for years and used a product called "Onymyrrhe", don't know what is made of but brushed it on cuticle area and rubbed it in every night, my nails grew faster and were not brittle at all. Nails longer than just beyond the flesh are all thats necessary, results such as plectrums of 1.25mm or .75mm differ in picking, so longer nails give similar differences.
    Dick C.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by goinbaroke
    I played classical for years and used a product called "Onymyrrhe"
    Thanks for the recommendation, Dick. I'll give it a try. The eternal struggle...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumblefingers
    interesting, I have never seen John McLaughlin do that, or I simply missed it. do you have a video that you can point me to? I would like to check that out.
    I have seen him many times, sometimes sitting just a few feet away, and he does this a lot when playing acoustic (e.g. Shakti, The Translators, Trio, etc.)
    but rarely on electric. I'm not sure if there is any video showing it...but I'm going to enjoy looking for it! If I find any I'll post links.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzReggie
    You can play classical guitar just fine without nails, just as you can play jazz without a traditional jazz box. That said, nails will affect your tone, just as a jazz box will, and while you can get fantastic results without either, they won't be exactly the same. This isn't a right or wrong issue, it's more a personal preference thing.

For some thoughts and advice on playing without nails:

Guitarmania: Learn To Play Classical Guitar Without Nails
    This article was very useful. Like some of those who left comments, I am a pianist, and I will not sacrifice good technique just to be able to play guitar. I can deal with the fact that my tone on guitar may not have the full range of expression like a 'proper' classical guitarist with nails. I can't deal with poor technique.

User Info Menu

Man, that Power Nails stuff is expensive. Euro189 to start and the pot of gel is good for 6 bimonthly applications and then you pony up Euro80 for another pot.

I think I will just chow down on Jello.

I use Sally Hansen's Triple Strong as a nail strengthener. This protects them when I am playing an acoustic or electric guitar, as the back side of the nails will hit the strings.

It also has an interesting side effect in that it seems to help to curve my nails into a more symmetrical shape.

Without it, my nails have difficulty maintaining a good playing shape, unless they are really short.

User Info Menu

The Flamenco guitarists use a combination of super glue and tissue paper. Put a couple drops of super glue (the gel works better for this) on the part of the nail that has grown beyond the bed, and no more than a 1/4" from the nail tip (to allow the nail to "breathe", don't cover the whole nail), then take a strip of tissue paper (not with lotion in it!) or toilet paper and place that over the glue, a couple of layers thick, and hold in place for 10 seconds or so. Let it dry thoroughly (a few minutes at most), then carefully use an emery board to sand away the excess tissue, shaping the nail/tissue combination for a good sound. Finish off with fine sandpaper, and I usually add a coating of Hard as Nails before finishing the fine sanding. This is also an excellent quick fix for a split or broken nail, as long as you carry some super glue with you (as all flamencos do), you can always find a paper napkin or kleenex somewhere.