The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I'm posting this because I want to listen to classical music more (Basically anything that came before jazz, chronologically). I understand that "classical" is a very broad word for a history of music. I'm just a bit unsure where to look. I've listened to Erik Satie, some Phillip Glass, Arvo Part... Time period doesn't matter! Anyways, if anyone has any listening suggestions, please shoot some out! I'm in need! I'm really into Mahavishnu Orchhestra, Chick Corea, Avashi Cohen, Shorter, Joshua Redman, Michael Brecker etc. etc. If that helps.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like lushness of harmony and orchestration, and mastery of form. Maurice Ravel is one of my favorites there. For linear ideas I like Baroque counterpoint, especially the work of J. S. Bach, and I see many jazz artists who have that linear style in their improvisations, like Joe Pass for example.

User Info Menu

you may want to invest in a music literature college textbook, or read one from the library. the books change over time, but the musical materials remain the same (the composers are all dead you see).

listening to the compositions referenced in the book will help you understand musical composers, works, and styles by period. you will be able to identify these things more quickly and easily once you become familiar with them.

and then like most people, you will develop preferences.

User Info Menu

I like Debussy. Lately I've been listening to his Preludes for piano. Lots of modern harmony that is similar to that used in jazz. This is the recording I've been listening to - Claude Debussy: Préludes - Krystian Zimerman | AllMusic (listening samples available). Since it's solo piano, I find it's easier to hear and transcribe to the guitar.
    Last edited by swampguide; 10-21-2011 at 09:37 AM.

User Info Menu

debussy
    ravel
    bartok
    smetana
    rimsky-korsakov
    scriabin
    copland
    saint-saens
    r.strauss
    berg
    penderecki
    liszt
    r. schumann

mahler
    brahms
    beethoven
    schubert

User Info Menu

I like Boccherini 's string quintets. There are about 8 double CDs of these works. Boccherini was a cellist so he favored the range that includes the guitar. The moving voices are easier to follow.

There is a CD of Beethoven's string trios. You can really hear the voices progress and interact between the three instruments.

Mozart wrote a lot of small orchestra stuff, like divertimentos, but also many concertos for different instruments.

As you can see, I find most symphonies too "dense".

User Info Menu

I like the first two movements of Ravel's string quartet. Also Ravel's concerto for the left hand is beautiful, as is the piano trio. I like I think it's the third movement of the Debussy string quartet as well.

Rachmaninoff's piano concertos are also really exciting, I have the second and the third.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edspyhill01
    I like Boccherini 's string quintets. There are about 8 double CDs of these works. Boccherini was a cellist so he favored the range that includes the guitar. The moving voices are easier to follow.

There is a CD of Beethoven's string trios. You can really hear the voices progress and interact between the three instruments.

Mozart wrote a lot of small orchestra stuff, like divertimentos, but also many concertos for different instruments.

As you can see, I find most symphonies too "dense".
    I agree. My favourite subcategiory of classical music is chamber music -- small groups, right? Orchestral music can steamroll over me, it's just too lush!

Try Beethoven's late string quartets, I guarantee they will blow your mind.

User Info Menu

Wow this is definitely a broad topic isn't it? Everything is subjective and classical music covers a what 500+ year time period? It is hard to gleam just a few nuggets for you, but I will do my best.

A lot of the barque period has inspired many improvisers in the sense of how they form lines. Actually in that period it was not undheard of for a soloist to improvise parts. Ted Greene has some clips on his website where he demonstrates some of the Baroque concepts with melodic lines as well as voice leading. Man was he incredible! Bach would be an obvious starting point there.

Personally, I am all over the place. My favorite composers are Bartok, and Ravel, of course in middle school I had a violin teacher who was Romanian, so that probably had an early influence.

User Info Menu

For the off the beaten track, check out the Sylvius Leopold Weiss Lute Suites. I like them even more than the Bach.
    String quartets of Bartok, Beethoven, Tchiakovsky, chamber music by Frank, Georges Enescu, many of these you may not have heard of, Arensky and Charles Ives, all of these composers wrote for different size ensembles but the chamber music , trios and string quartets are all worth checking out for harmonies, dynamics and textures.
    David

User Info Menu

Lots of very good ideas above. Just wanted to mention Leonard Bernstein. Anything from West Side Story or the overture to Candide would be a good start.

User Info Menu

Shostakovich will rock their world. Check out:

The 5th and 10th Symphonies
    The 2nd Piano Concerto
    The Cello Concerto
    The Viola Sonata
    The Eight String Quartet]
    Any of his movie music

User Info Menu

Bach's Goldberg Variations played by Glenn Gould (1981 version)
    Beethoven Piano Sonatas (also by Gould)
    Bach Cello Suites by Casal
    any Mahler symphonies
    Debussy
    Ravel
    Villa Lobos guitar études
    Leo Brouwer guitar études

....those are some of my faves

User Info Menu

John Williams playing the Bach Lute Suites redefined guitar mastery for me...simply incredible unreal and beyond hip...buy the score and and be blown away...he makes it sound easy...it is'nt. Then for all the modern edgy 20th century sounds the Bartok String Quartets can't be beat and check out Takemitsu for more amazing 20th century music

User Info Menu

i concur with the Sylvius Leopold Weiss suggestion, especially the recordings of lutenist Robert Barto, and even more especially if you're into 7-string guitar.

The Bartok Concerto for Orchestra is a mind-blower.

User Info Menu

a fun way to get into classical music is to start with tunes that have crossed over into the pop and/or jazz realm:

"strangers in paradise," which is a jazz/pop standard, is I. introduzione of "polovetsian dances" from alexander borodin's opera "prince igor."

"blue danube waltz" (opus 314) by johann strauss is often used as ice skating music.

"funeral march of a marionette" by charles gounod was used as the theme from the alfred hitchcock presents TV show.

"dance of the hours" from amilcare ponchielli's opera "la gioconda" was the novelty hit "hello mudda, hello fadda" by allan sherman.

johann strauss ii's "voices of spring" or "frühlingsstimmen" (opus 410) has been used in funny cartoons whenever a horrible singer tries to sing 'opera.'

"ride of the valkyries" or "die walküre" by richard wagner is often used in movies and cartoons for storm scenes and battle scenes.

User Info Menu

right after i typed a few suggestions, i realized that there must be a list somewhere of pop songs that were derived from classical music. here's one:

User:Melodia/List of popular songs based on classical music - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by patskywriter; 12-18-2011 at 02:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Slightly insane thread. Classical is a vast ocean. Man. Might work better if people put up clips and pointed out what they liked about them. Jessye Norman's crescendo in Beim Schlafengehen has been called most impressive thing ever recorded:
    And of course Strauss' orchestration is masterful. Will always give me chills. It's about accepting death.
    Last edited by jster; 12-19-2011 at 10:01 PM.