The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 39

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That is outstanding!

Wonder what kind of classical guitar he's playing?

User Info Menu

Wonderful .

User Info Menu

World is big and wonderful. According tome the best classical jazz guitarist are:

1) Wes Montgomery.
    2) George Benson.
    3) Robert Johnson.
    4) Pat Metheny.
    5) Mundell Lowe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cyrilruiz
    World is big and wonderful. According tome the best classical jazz guitarist are:

1) Wes Montgomery.
    2) George Benson.
    3) Robert Johnson.
    4) Pat Metheny.
    5) Mundell Lowe.
    our unduly modest o.p. was referring to the "classical guitar" itself, meaning the nylon strung instrument...

User Info Menu

The best Jazz guitar player on nylon was Charlie Byrd.
    But there are several others...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oschi
    The best Jazz guitar player on nylon was Charlie Byrd.
    But there are several others...
    No the best jazz guitar player on nylon is Sylvain Luc!

User Info Menu

Luc is quite beastly. I bet you there's some other crazy dude holed up in a tiny apartment that's doing things we can't even fathom, perhaps he's just not on youtube.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JakeAcci
    Luc is quite beastly. I bet you there's some other crazy dude holed up in a tiny apartment that's doing things we can't even fathom, perhaps he's just not on youtube.
    True, but that dude might not be out playing with people like Luc, and might lack the ability to interact with other musicians.

User Info Menu

Good point!

I think the important thing is - Sylvain Luc is amazing.

This clip really resonated with me, what an amazing harmonic vocabulary:

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting that clip, it was pretty scary!

User Info Menu

Laurendo Almeida?

Gene Bertincini?

Wolfgang Muthspiel, plays with Brian Blade, transcribed and performed Bach's Goldberg Variations throughout Europe when he was 16:

Ben Monder, not on a nylon string here but undeniable classical technique

I think these guys are pretty good.
    David
    Last edited by TH; 07-02-2011 at 06:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Muthspiel is one of my favorites. I like Gene also, I have met him a few times.
    Ralph Towner should be mentioned.
    The bottom line is nobody can say(as the original poster stated), who's the best. When I was using the phrase myself, I was being ironic. I would say Luc and Towner are my favorites on the nylon.

User Info Menu

Rafael Rabello was one of the best, though not remembered as much today outside of Brazil as he once was. He's still a legend here, and rightfully so.

Amazing chops and control, the guy was a demon!

Last edited by m78w; 07-29-2011 at 01:21 AM.

OK! great players! but what about sombody that plays classical jazz guitar playing actually JAZZ! I mean with swing, be bop lines, improvising over a jazz standard, a medium fast or you know? Jazz as a trumpet or a sax player, I'm not talking about how fast somebody plays because the best of all by all means is Paco De Lucia, all I'm saying is and they also wrote a jazz standard " It don't mean a thing if you ain't got that Swing". A note is three dimentional when you play with swing

User Info Menu

I think your on the wrong forum.

This is a Jazz guitar forum

If you want to blow your own horn you should be posting on a sax or trumpet forum

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Giovan
    OK! great players! but what about sombody that plays classical jazz guitar playing actually JAZZ! I mean with swing, be bop lines, improvising over a jazz standard, a medium fast or you know? Jazz as a trumpet or a sax player, I'm not talking about how fast somebody plays because the best of all by all means is Paco De Lucia, all I'm saying is and they also wrote a jazz standard " It don't mean a thing if you ain't got that Swing". A note is three dimentional when you play with swing
    Coming from somebody that considers himself the worlds best classical jazz guitarist I find this post to be laughable.
    Last edited by Soco; 07-29-2011 at 10:06 AM.

User Info Menu

Raphael Rabello swings. Paco de Lucia swings. Not in the old-fashioned 40s sense, but they swing very hard.

User Info Menu

Agreed, Raphael swing very hard, not in a bop sense, but man that guy could get you up on your feet with his comping and then blow you back into your chair with his single-lines!

User Info Menu

Matt,

That is some serious playing. Raphael Rabello. I'll have to look for his CD's.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Absolutely, along with Baden Powell he's often considered the best Brazilian guitarist who ever lived. He's a legend down here, the same way Jimi Hendrix is back in the US.

Sadly he was in a car accident and contracted HIV in a blood transfusion back in the early 90s and died shortly after. Too bad, he left the world with so much more music to make.

His solo album, Cry My Guitar and tribute to Tom Jobim Todos os Tons are must haves for any fan of the guitar.

Raphael Rabello - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm in the right forum if we talk about jazz guitar as jazz is jazz and it does not matter what instrument it is, or we use the word jazz just because it sounds cool. Classical guitar, flamenco guitar, Brazilian guitar and jazz guitar are different style of playing and if we talk about classical jazz guitar then I talk about jazz in connection with a nylon strings

User Info Menu

Well, Giovan, you can try to make up your own rules if you like, or try to make everyone else believe as you do, but you won't get very far with that. Your definition of jazz is only yours.

User Info Menu

Giovan, that guy would get a much better tone if he moved away from the bridge like Luc. IMHO that is where the awesomeness of nylon tone is found.

User Info Menu

...it is to LAUGH.

not to get on his case, this is the same guy that thinks swing is a "triplet feel".

i guess im not surprised as ive never heard anybody play a classical and REALLY swing (at least by my definition...Wes or George Benson). not even guys that play WAY better than this one does.

fast doesnt mean "swinging", and tone shouldnt be a compromise as it is here.

...the "world" REALLY IS a small place sometimes.
    Last edited by mattymel; 08-07-2011 at 10:27 PM.