The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I don't like the tone I am getting off the G string. Changing to new strings has not changed the tone. Thought I would try a set of La Bella Classical Guitar Wound Third strings. Has any one tried these? What is your opinion.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

don't know the labella, but hannabach makes a whole line of them (silver in 5 tensions, bronze, aluminum...). the sound is great. beware that the silver ones (best sound) tend to break at the bridge before the life of the string is gone, so wind your extra length so you can re-thread it. available from stringsbymail.com.

thomastik makes a chrome steel wound third that lasts a long time and sounds pretty good, but the harder metal increases fret wear and nail wear. sand lightly in the right hand playing area (with nail buffer).

User Info Menu

p.s. do (did) you know the wakefields of camano island? i went to school with mark...

User Info Menu

Savarez 520 P3's have a plastic wound rectified nylon G, and rectified nylon trebles. Very interesting strings--used them once and LOVED the feel and sound, but the G did break prematurely, and they're not readily available in my local stores.

Worth a shot though--the feel balance without adding too much tension--I imagine that's the reason they make these.
    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 09-05-2010 at 12:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by randalljazz
    p.s. do (did) you know the wakefields of camano island? i went to school with mark...
    Sorry, I don't know the Wakefields. Thanks for the Info on the strings.

User Info Menu

This is for those of you who would like to know the outcome of my G string problem.

Since starting this thread, I bought a set of Bella strings and 2 single G strings. The singles are Hannabach wound G string, one is silver wound and the other is chrom wound. Since my guitar has a new set of D'Addario EJ-44 on it, I decided to just change the G string to start with. I put on the Hannabach silver wound. For now that is where I am going to stop. The klunky sounding G string is gone. The wound silver G is great. Very nice tone and the tone fits well with the rest of the strings. I have the other strings in case I decide later it is not quite right. For now, I am satisfied.

User Info Menu

The further adventures of the G string problem.
    3 Days after putting the silver G string on my guitar, It broke. The guitar was in it's case when it happened. I opened the case to play the guitar and there it was, broken. I put on the Chrom wound G string and found it was totally unacceptable. Put on another set of D'Addario EJ-44. Back to the original problem, Bad tone on the G string. Running out of solutions I put on my last set of strings. La bella Golden Superior 900-W with a wound 3rd. They have been on there for 3 days now and at last, success. Completly different tone and absolutly lovely tone. Totally different guitar and at last a great sounding G string.

User Info Menu

I'll be honest.. I've seen lots of strings and ordered and tried dozens and never came across a wound G string for a classical guitar.

If they are breaking inside the case... that's a major problem!

I'm curious though, as to why you keep getting bad tone on the G string. Are you playing with nails? What kind of guitar do you own?

User Info Menu

I play a Lahambra 6P classical guitar. The wound G string that broke in the case was wound with silver and I believe it may have had a kink in the string before it was put on. That is probably the cause of the breakage. Several makers have wound G strings but I found them quite noisy with the fingers sliding on them. My final solution was La Bella 900 Golden superior strings. They are working quite well normal G string and no more problems. Never did figure out the original problem but the La Bellas' are working fine.

User Info Menu

Have you tried the D'Addarios with the composite G? The tone is a lot smoother of a transition between the trebles and basses. Do you play a lot of classical or do you just use a nylon-string for jazz?

User Info Menu

I do not play classical guitar. I just like the tone of the classical guitars and play mostly blues and jazz. I have not tried D'Addarios with the composite G, but I am going to order them and give them a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

User Info Menu

I use D'Addario EJ46LP string. The composite G helps balance very well. One warning - I found that the regular EJ46 set was VERY high tension for the first week or so after they were put on. Once they were broken in the tension was O.K.

I don't know why the non-LP sets are like this. I wouldn't think that whether they're 'lightly polished' would effect the tension, but it does.

User Info Menu

I've used the ghs string set with a wound G; I thought it made the guitar sound a lot more like a steel-string.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Savarez 520 P3's have a plastic wound rectified nylon G, and rectified nylon trebles. Very interesting strings--used them once and LOVED the feel and sound, but the G did break prematurely, and they're not readily available in my local stores.

Worth a shot though--the feel balance without adding too much tension--I imagine that's the reason they make these.

Love the 520's!

User Info Menu

Have you tried the GHS La Classique strings (Doyle Dykes signature series)?

Over the past few years they have served me quite well except for the last batch which seems to have a problem with the high E string. (keeps stretching) I thought it was just the tuner but my son put a set on his classical guitar as well and had the same issue.

But that wound G string sounds great.

User Info Menu

Savarez Alliance hard tension should sort out the issue of a tubby/thuddy
    3rd string.
    [A brighter sound across the strings]
    These are carbon fiber strings, I like them, specially when trying to get a
    clearer more balanced sound.
    Have you tried these?