The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

I don't understand why some people here don't accept playing Jazz on modern guitars with all the effects provided by technology: compression, chorus, delay, reverb

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

All Across The City is one of my (many) all-time favorite records. Jim Hall is stretching out, taking chances. And it is great to hear him in a modern context, with a chorus occasionally and Gil Goldstein's very musical synth backing. It's a great record; there is so much to learn from it.

I've played Beja Flor in a few bands -- it's such a gorgeous piece!

Here's a chart:
    Beja Flor - C.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Hyppolyte Bergamotte
    I don't understand why some people here don't accept playing Jazz on modern guitars with all the effects provided by technology: compression, chorus, delay, reverb
    In short, being around people who look and think and feel differently than me makes my life richer and more enjoyable.
    When I walk into a room and everybody looks more-or-less like me it makes me uncomfortable.

User Info Menu

Thanks for this beautiful tune I didn’t know
    And Jim Hall play so modernly even with bends !!!!

User Info Menu

Jim Hall Live is an amazing album. So are the duo albums! You can’t go wrong, in my opinion!

User Info Menu

All Across The City is a wonderful song, one of my favorite compositions by Jim. It was intended to depict sunrise in New York, and I think it does a wonderful job of evoking that. I believe this was the first recorded version of it:

User Info Menu

My first and favorite Jim Hall album

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    All Across The City is one of my (many) all-time favorite records. Jim Hall is stretching out, taking chances. And it is great to hear him in a modern context, with a chorus occasionally and Gil Goldstein's very musical synth backing. It's a great record; there is so much to learn from it.

I've played Beja Flor in a few bands -- it's such a gorgeous piece!

Here's a chart:
    Beja Flor - C.pdf

In short, being around people who look and think and feel differently than me makes my life richer and more enjoyable.
    When I walk into a room and everybody looks more-or-less like me it makes me uncomfortable.

User Info Menu

Jim Hall was the last of the really great jazz guitarists to click with me, but once he did I was in! He plays more like a modern player than any of the others from his era. And he looks like my uncle (dresses like him too). But I've grown to love him and even patterned my hair after his (ok, well genetics did that).

Personally I think you sound great. If I SAW you playing with that guitar and pedal board, honestly, I'd probably wonder what was going on. But, you are right, it sounds fantastic.

I don't personally use effects but I come from a rock background with a board full of fuzz, delay, compression, and I just want something simple and basic for Jazz. For me I don't see the need for effects...and that should be the test...use what you need to make the music you want.

Drive pedals don't matter to me since I mainly set the amp to break up and roll off volume. Compression brings in more attack than I want, or less depending on settings, so I guess I get the right dynamics and attack without it. A little reverb or slap back delay can be very cool though. Again, use what you need to make the music you want and tell the story you're after!

User Info Menu

Personally I think you sound great. If I SAW you playing with that guitar and pedal board, honestly, I'd probably wonder what was going on. But, you are right, it sounds fantastic.
    Thanks.
    I want to show that you can play jazz even with a rock guitar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hyppolyte Bergamotte
    Thanks.
    I want to show that you can play jazz even with a rock guitar
    It's not the Rock guitar itself, but the typical Rock sound, the extremely distorted overdriven sound that doesn't really fit with old style Jazz Standards.

I play modern solid body guitars, mostly 7 string, but with no overdrive/distortion.

My latest build.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    It's not the Rock guitar itself, but the typical Rock sound, the extremely distorted overdriven sound that doesn't really fit with old style Jazz Standards.

I play modern solid body guitars, mostly 7 string, but with no overdrive/distortion.

My latest build.
    terrific one !!!

User Info Menu

I suppose that the sound would be mellower if you would place the pick-up near the neck and not near the bridge