The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
    This is my first attempt at arranging chord-melody, and really the first jazz tune I've dug into as an adult. Been having a lot of fun with it Would love any feedback on the arrangement or the playing (the playing could definitely be a little cleaner).

I think it would be nice to have an improv section with bass line, but improv seems pretty far out of my reach at this point.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I think you did a fine job with it. It's a lovely arrangement. I suspect it will only get better with time as you become more comfortable with it.

User Info Menu

Good job! You had a steady beat and didn't go rubato, the sign that the player doesn't know their material. You're definitely heading in the right direction.

User Info Menu

First off, if sounds very pretty, and I liked how you kept the rhythm going.

I think it would be easier on you if you weren’t jumping back and forth from 3rd fret to 12th fret.

Unfortunately I haven’t worked on this tune to offer useful advice.

User Info Menu

Like with many songs, there is a need to fill between phrases. You did a nice job in the classical guitar tradition.

For a jazz treatment, try using some rich chords and melodic runs in those spaces, but don’t overdo. Easier said than done, I know.

For the melody, get some bigger fatter richer chords under the melody. (Most chords anyway, not necessarily every chord needs to be big). Make a clear statement about “jazz guitar chord melody”. Don’t hesitate to use tensions, alterations, quartal harmony, etc.

It will sound much more like the Jazz guitar tradition, as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzjourney4Eva
    Like with many songs, there is a need to fill between phrases. You did a nice job in the classical guitar tradition.

For a jazz treatment, try using some rich chords and melodic runs in those spaces, but don’t overdo. Easier said than done, I know.

For the melody, get some bigger fatter richer chords under the melody. (Most chords anyway, not necessarily every chord needs to be big). Make a clear statement about “jazz guitar chord melody”. Don’t hesitate to use tensions, alterations, quartal harmony, etc.

It will sound much more like the Jazz guitar tradition, as a result.

Thanks, this is really useful feedback. Much appreciated!