The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Body and Soul is a great old chestnut written in 1930 by Johnny Green. It's probably in every jazz fake book ever written, and there are lead sheets in a few YouTube videos. It's been recorded by several jazz guitarists over the years, so there's no shortage of inspirational audio and video tracks out there. I'm just a guest host for this while Liarspoker spends March getting his house in order (quite literally, it seems).

I'm not a big one for rules - my suggestion is to pick a style and have a go at it as the mood strikes you. I can hear it as a Chet-style finger picked tune in tempo, a JS-like ballad with no set or consistent tempo (a la his great acoustic archtop version of Golden Earrings), a mix of chord melody and single note lines as JP might have done it, or even a bossa. I think it'd be a great solo piece for a 12 string, if anyone has the mind and equipment to try that.

I have some ideas for my own version - I'll pick one and get it up pronto!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Super fine!! And that PRS is almost as beautiful as your playing. Thanks!

User Info Menu

I'd love to join in with these tunes but I can't do solo playing, I have a mental block on it.* You can easily have a version in my normal style but that's not what we're here for.

* Don't try to cure me, it's been tried before :-)

User Info Menu

. Super fine!! And that PRS is almost as beautiful as you’re playing. Thanks!
    thanks!
    Ten years ago, I bought two PRS hollow- body guitars,one charcoal and one blue.
    The blue one has turned green ,it was the most extraordinary ,but the light doesn’t forgive!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emilP
    thanks!
    Ten years ago, I bought two PRS hollow- body guitars,one charcoal and one blue.
    The blue one has turned green ,it was the most extraordinary ,but the light doesn’t forgive!
    I had a red 24 and a blue 22 for years before I switched to a 7. They’re stellar instruments - the only reason I don’t have at least one now is that they didn’t start making 7s until long after I switched out all of my guitars. And I’m looking at a Holcomb right now to replace my well worn 7 string early ‘90s Epi LP.

User Info Menu

I did the frets on my old ESP today, so I figured I'd check it out with Body and Soul. Here's the first thing I played when it was reassembled and set up:

And here's the thread on my repair effort for anyone who's interested.

User Info Menu

I gave in :-)

User Info Menu

Here’s a first try. Very vanilla, I suppose:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro