The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I just "re-discovered" this video of a live performance a few years back. The arrangement is based on a recording of the tune by Martin Taylor. I would need to re-learn it if I wanted to perform it again - I've forgotten how to play it since I stopped playing it a couple years ago. I'm not able to remember anything if I don't practice it regularly. Do most people have this problem? What do you think, shall I re-learn it?

Nate

Last edited by stringman5; 01-18-2023 at 12:47 AM. Reason: correction

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's a nice arrangement. It's rich with nice ideas and devices. As to whether it'd be worth while to revisit that tune again. Absolutely! But why not look at it as you would an etude, as the means by which you can catalog and for your own "bag" of harmony?
    I had a friend who told me "Be inspired by other people's playing, learn what they're doing and even learn to find them on the instrument, but that's only the beginning. Take the things they do and find three ways for you to do them in a different and utterly personal way. Then you'll own it. THAT's what you should be performing."
    If you think this way, your take on the music will always be with you and you won't forget it, or at least it won't matter if you forget an arrangement because a fresh and better one is always at your fingertips.
    You stopped playing, look at that as a blessing and re-learn the instrument as a set of improvisational and arrangement tools that are always ready for you to play ANY tune.
    You can do it. You obviously have talent on the instrument.

User Info Menu

Jimmy, he didn't say that he stopped playing, just that he stopped playing Georgia.
    Whether or not to relearn it is a personal decision, like any other song. I doubt that you've really forgotten it, you just need practice, lack of which affects anyone. It shouldn't be that hard to get it under your fingers again, but only you can decide whether it's worth the effort. Nice playing in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    That's a nice arrangement. It's rich with nice ideas and devices. As to whether it'd be worth while to revisit that tune again. Absolutely! But why not look at it as you would an etude, as the means by which you can catalog and for your own "bag" of harmony?
    I had a friend who told me "Be inspired by other people's playing, learn what they're doing and even learn to find them on the instrument, but that's only the beginning. Take the things they do and find three ways for you to do them in a different and utterly personal way. Then you'll own it. THAT's what you should be performing."
    If you think this way, your take on the music will always be with you and you won't forget it, or at least it won't matter if you forget an arrangement because a fresh and better one is always at your fingertips.
    You stopped playing, look at that as a blessing and re-learn the instrument as a set of improvisational and arrangement tools that are always ready for you to play ANY tune.
    You can do it. You obviously have talent on the instrument.
    Thanks for the encouragement. I actually stopped playing this because I wanted to work on playing only my own arrangements, but I like the idea of taking the arrangement a step further to make it my own.
    Nate

User Info Menu

Sounds nice Nate.

I seem to go in cycles. Play standards, write my own stuff, rinse and repeat. Each cycle differs in length.

I'd say relearn it as this time around you'll get a deeper dive into it. After a while come up for air then dive again.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Jimmy, he didn't say that he stopped playing, just that he stopped playing Georgia.
    Whether or not to relearn it is a personal decision, like any other song. I doubt that you've really forgotten it, you just need practice, lack of which affects anyone. It shouldn't be that hard to get it under your fingers again, but only you can decide whether it's worth the effort. Nice playing in any case.
    Yes, you are absolutely spot on. I stopped playing the tune to concentrate on creating and playing only my own arrangements.. and enjoying that process very much. So, I'm glad there is at least that video. Thanks for your perspective and kind words.

Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    Sounds nice Nate.

I seem to go in cycles. Play standards, write my own stuff, rinse and repeat. Each cycle differs in length.

I'd say relearn it as this time around you'll get a deeper dive into it. After a while come up for air then dive again.
    Yes, I'd definitely learn a lot by diving into this one again. Thanks for watching and listening.

Nate