The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

As a way of trying to improve my guitar playing and ear as well as expanding my repertoire. I am going to try and learn and figure out some kind of solo guitar arrangement of songs. We'll see if I can keep it up weekly or biweekly.

I have never done any type of chord melody type stuff before and have only been focusing on jazz guitar for the last 5 years so this would be very helpful in that aspect as well. I am usually gypsy jazz guitar.

The first song was On The Sunny Side of the Street

Tips, critiques, and suggestions for future songs are welcome.

Last edited by geese_com; 01-10-2023 at 06:10 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Last week's song was Embraceable You

User Info Menu

Sounds nice!

"Have You Met Miss Jones?"

"Que reste-t-il de nos amours"

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Sounds nice!
    Thanks! Even just four weeks in I am learning a lot by doing this. Hopefully I can keep it going consistently this year.

User Info Menu

As someone who has done this (about 10 years ago) I highly recommend spending at least some time with a metronome or drumgenius in your ears as you play. While solo guitar or "chord melody" is a fantastic way to open up the neck, exploit the polyphony of the guitar, and build repertoire, too much of it can really hurt your sense of time.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    As someone who has done this (about 10 years ago) I highly recommend spending at least some time with a metronome or drumgenius in your ears as you play. While solo guitar or "chord melody" is a fantastic way to open up the neck, exploit the polyphony of the guitar, and build repertoire, too much of it can really hurt your sense of time.
    Thanks for the advice. I play rhythm guitar is a couple GJ bands so I wanted to expand past just playing rhythm all the time.

User Info Menu

The chords and melodies sound great, it shows you really know your fretboard. But you are being undermined by your right hand; all down strokes doesn't cut it and needs attention. It'll sound much more fluent with some finger picking, either hybrid, thumb pick or no pick. Check out any vid of Jake Reichbart for an example.

Look forward to hearing how it develops. Keep going, chord melody is difficult but I find it really rewarding.

Smile" by Charlie Chaplin. Lyrics by Josh Turner and Geoffrey Parsons. David Raskin also contributed to the song.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikedisd
    The chords and melodies sound great, it shows you really know your fretboard. But you are being undermined by your right hand; all down strokes doesn't cut it and needs attention. It'll sound much more fluent with some finger picking, either hybrid, thumb pick or no pick. Check out any vid of Jake Reichbart for an example.

Look forward to hearing how it develops. Keep going, chord melody is difficult but I find it really rewarding.
    That is part of the challenge that I am doing on purpose. Trying to do these chord melodies only using a pick and not by doing hybrid or finger picking.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by geese_com
    Thanks for the advice. I play rhythm guitar is a couple GJ bands so I wanted to expand past just playing rhythm all the time.

Based on your response I suggest rereading what Mr Beaumont is trying to convey

User Info Menu

Don’t be influenced by purists who don’t like the delay. If it’s part of your playing and if it inspires you, so much the better! During my four years of studying jazz, years ago, my teacher would go crazy if I dared to put any effect on my guitar !!
    We do not live anymore in the 15 th century,or buy a luthe
    Last edited by emilP; 02-02-2023 at 02:10 PM.