The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 34

User Info Menu

First of all Happy New Year!

I hope that everyone is doing well.

The December Solo Guitar Tune thread was more of a success then I thought it would be.

Hence I've chosen a standard that most folk know so hopefully we'll get a few videos up this month.

Here is a version that I recorded a while ago but I'll work on a new version this month.

https://youtube.com/shorts/L4hkayOipmc?feature=share

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here’s one I did quite a long time ago, recording my Gibson 175 acoustically. As I recall, this was in a thread about how the ‘Virtuoso’ album was recorded, I was experimenting to see whether my 175 produced a similar sound when ‘unplugged’.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Here’s one I did quite a long time ago, recording my Gibson 175 acoustically.
    Nicely done Graham. I was waiting for it to come into time and I'm glad that it did for a bit.

Nice sound too. I must try recording my archtop acoustically although my recording skills are -500

I know we've just started January but if you have a tune selection for February just let us know.

User Info Menu

My 175 doesn’t have much acoustic tone, as I recall I managed to get that sound by putting my digital recorder about 4 inches away from the lower f-hole. So it’s a lot ‘larger than life’ really.

I’ll let you pick the tunes, I don’t know if I’ll have much time anyway. I seem to be busy with all sorts of things these days!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Great idea to start the new year! Here are the quick results of my Saturday morning practice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mike_k
    Great idea to start the new year! Here are the quick results of my Saturday morning practice.

Nice one Mike. Some nice ideas there during the improv. Well done!

Btw which model squier is that?

User Info Menu

Thanks! It is a Starcaster.

User Info Menu

Hello,Liarspoker!

Like Jack Reichbart and Mark Kleinhaut,I just got tired of spending so much time posting,with so few views and comments.

A few years ago on this forum, when I was named Hyppolyte Bergamotte, after the name of my last trio, there was here a regular dialogue and I regularly received comments:-

Hey, in the second improv, from where do you draw this sentence?
    "Oh, nice quote in your outro!"

Now, when I post something, it falls into an intersideral vacuum...

Thank you nevertheless for making me a like on Autumn leaves, which I spent several days re-writing a harmonization that I thought it would be of interest ; I didn’t do it the same morning,on a starcaster
    Cheers

Emil

User Info Menu

Hi Emil,

Sorry for not commenting on your video. I didn't listen to all of it but your sound is very good.
    I was planning to listen and comment later but between the jigs and the reels I didn't make it back to this thread. I only checked because of your private message.
    I will listen to your video later and comment.
    But yes I think in general the quality of this forum has gone down with many critics none of whom seem to post their own playing ?!?!
    Wishing you a great afternoon

User Info Menu

Hi Emil,

I did give a listen to your post and enjoyed it. Sorry for not taking the time to elaborate on that. However, there is a bit of snark in your tone headed my way. I don't see how my post diminishes your posting. But, I don't see how your comment really encourages me or others to contribute more.

Best regards,
    Mike
    Last edited by mike_k; 01-15-2023 at 12:03 PM.

User Info Menu

However, there is a bit of snark in your tone headed my way. I don't see how my post diminishes your posting. But, I don't see how your comment really encourage me or others to contribute more.
    This is true but/so let's try our best to keep things civil.
    We don't need another thread that turns into mudslinging.

We are all here for one thing and that's music.
    At the end of the day we play music for our own enjoyment so it's not really important how many views, likes it comments one's video get.

Some of my favourite stuff I've played on my YouTube channel has the least views on the channel. Some stuff I've just recorded rough have some of the most views.

Same when gigging.
    Think that I did a great gig and no one says anything.
    Think that I didn't play well and people tell me how well I played

It's a funny old thing

User Info Menu

. Hi Emil,

I did give a listen to your post and enjoyed it. Sorry for not taking the time to elaborate on that. However, there is a bit of snark in your tone headed my way. I don't see how my post diminishes your posting. But, I don't see how your comment really encourages me or others to contribute more.

Best regards,
    Mike
    Nothing against you,Mike
    I would simply say that not must attention is given now to posts,compared with 4 or 5 years ago.Because of the Covid maybe ?

User Info Menu

That’s fair. I am finding a lot of demands on my time coming out of COVID. All the best, Mike

User Info Menu

I just noticed that nobody commented on the video in the opening post.

But you know what, that's quite alright. I'd prefer if people were working on their own versions and posting them here anyway.

Speaking if which I'd better get started on my version ( but probably won't get time till next weekend).....

Peace to all

User Info Menu

FWIW - I really dug the walking bass. It really set a strong sense of motion.

User Info Menu

Back to the actual point of this thread...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Back to the actual point of this thread...

Nice one. A few twists and turns. Which sub is that at the end of the A section?

User Info Menu

I thought it was an E minor.

User Info Menu

Blimey, nothing like recording some solo playing to reveal mistakes and bad technique.

What I think would make this better:

- play second A section more differently to the first, octave higher or different chord voicings maybe.
    - more chords interwound with the melody
    - change fingering of melody so easier to chuck in the right chord at a given point. I was having to let go of the notes too early for my liking to move onto hitting a chord.
    - bit more sustain on the notes, hold them down longer in conjunction with the fingering changes to make it smoother.
    - get rid of the one outright mistake and a couple of fumbles near the end!
    - better recording quality, is on a phone put next to the amp.

SndUp | Post info
    ^^ this links to the recording, even though it displays funny here.

User Info Menu

Well since Kong had a go I'll just go for it. Trying to add a bit of movement in bass and middle voices.

The intro is straight from Garrison Fewell's Harmony book as a sub for the first 4 bars.

User Info Menu

As a result of my public flirting with selling my Eastman 810CE7 (which I've never taken to a gig because my thin 16s are so much easier to protect on the small, crowded stages on which I usually play) and replacing it with zigracer's 16" Elite 7 a few weeks ago, a JGO member has offered to buy the 810. Trying to decide has rekindled my flame for the 810, which has a bigger, richer sound than my 16" Elite with set HB. It's a little more of a Van Eps "lap piano" than either of my 16s. While sitting here playing it and thinking about whether I'd actually gig with a thin 17" Elite (which I do with my 16), I remembered this thread and thought I'd lay down a take on the 810. The intro is picked (D'Andrea ProPlek) and the body of the tune is fingerstyle. This is played through my Blu 6, captured to Audacity with the internal mics on my TASCAM digital recorder.

After listening to this, I definitely think the bigger body has a bit more of the Van Eps "lap piano" sound than my 16s. I thought about what I'd do if I were the potential buyer of my 810. As a result, I suggested that he consider buying one of the last available new ones for a few hundred more than I'd have to get for mine to justify selling it for another new Elite. If he comes back wanting to buy mine, I don't know what I'll do - so I'll just play some more and hope he takes my advice .

User Info Menu

Kong and nevershouldhave....thank you so much for contributing.
    You both sound great for where you are.
    For something different I had Covid a little while back and stopped playing for a few days. I did this little improv the first day I was able to play again. I wasn't feeling great but it was just something to mark the Covid experience.
    This is a slow improv over the A section of Autumn Leaves.

User Info Menu

That intro is money !
    Last edited by mike_k; 01-18-2023 at 02:14 AM.

User Info Menu

That intro is money ?!
    The Garrison Fewell intro or nevershouldhave's intro?

Edit: Just in case anyone finds this interesting. It's something to experiment with anyway.

So I bought Garrison Fewell's book Jazz Improvisation for Guitar, A Harmonic Approach a good few years ago as a challenge to myself.

I looked at it from time to time especially the melodic minor section but never did much with it.

Recently I've been diving in. It makes sense however I've been applying the concepts to solo guitar.

So the book starts of with upper structure triads and diatonic subs then goes into polyrhythms and rhythmic displacement.

The intro which I play in the proper Autumn Leaves video above is based on this.

Basically it's just subs and upper triads from which I made 7th chords played in a 3/4 against 4/4 polyrhythm.

Notice the F# so it is D7 and Bm7 instead of Dm7 and Bm7b5 in the key of C So it's C lydian.

Later I was thinking that to get a proper polyrhythm feel I should try to insert the bass notes of the underlying chord at the appropriate time.
    Ie the first chord would be Em7 over A bass. Slash chords

I might work on that today.

In the words of the mighty Mick Goodrick "A good horse runs at the shadow of a whip".
    Last edited by Liarspoker; 01-18-2023 at 12:53 AM.