The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Ok, this might be like watching tumbleweed tumbling past but hopefully we'll get a few people participating.

For December you can pick a Christmas Tune and jazz it up.

Post your vids etc.

I'll be posting a tube later but here is one from last year

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ok I haven't been playing much these last few days. Covid has made me tired

Had an idea for this one prior to Covid so just managed to put it together.

Jingle Bells as a Jazz Ballad

Lots of backcycling using 7b9's as diminished, bass movement and an alternative melody in the chorus.

Now it's your turn

Edit. Interesting to see the original pick up in the first video then replaced by the Lollar CC below.

Last edited by Liarspoker; 12-06-2022 at 06:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Really nice arrangements!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AntonK
    Really nice arrangements!
    Thank you so much Anton!

Feel free to contribute your own jazzy Christmas Tune too

User Info Menu

Here’s one I worked up for a family video gift a while back. Enjoy!

Merry Christmas to all and one, with best wishes for the new year!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzPadd
    Here’s one I worked up for a family video gift a while back. Enjoy!

Merry Christmas to all and one, with best wishes for the new year!
    Hi JazzPadd,

Nice to meet you. Sounds good!!

Hopefully a few other people will make a contribution as well.

If you were to pick a tune to do in January which tune would it be?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    Hi JazzPadd,

Nice to meet you. Sounds good!!

Hopefully a few other people will make a contribution as well.

If you were to pick a tune to do in January which tune would it be?
    Hello and thank you for listening. I enjoyed your playing and tone. Rail type pickups are my fave!

And thanks for starting this thread. I hope others get into the spirit and contribute their Christmas songs,

Takes me a while to work up a chord melody, so not sure about January.

For now, been playing some holiday tunes at jam sessions locally. White Christmas is fun as a swing tune, and Silent Night is a blast as a 4/4 funk!

Happy Holidays, all the best for 2023!

User Info Menu

Thanks so much JazzPadd.

It takes me a while to get a good chord melody down too but even if we get a skeleton version done in a month that would be cool.

Sure aren't jazz tunes, tunes for life? Always expanding and evolving.

Your jam sessions sound cool!

Here's a non jazz solo guitar version that I did a while ago. Just a rough take but lots of fun

https://youtube.com/shorts/1-2QO2ABaso?feature=share

User Info Menu

Here's mine on acoustic guitar! Happy Holidays to all, and a Happy new Year!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Here's mine on acoustic guitar! Happy Holidays to all, and a Happy new Year!

Happy holidays to you Alter!

Thanks for posting the clip. Glad that you were able to join us.

You got such a great sound out of that acoustic. How did you record that?

User Info Menu

Thanks. The sound is more about processing in Reaper than recording. I generally record these clips direct in mono, then duplicate in stereo, using IRs (sometimes two different ones). Different eq and compression also, so together with panning, you get a nice stereo sound.

Then I use two reverb channels that I pan opposite, so you mostly hear the right guitar's reverb to the left and vise versa. Finally, a mild limiter on the master track, so I can get close to YouTube's -14 Lufs.

It sounds complicated, but once you set up a template, you more or less have a starting point ready.

On this video I used a lot more compression than I usually do, I went for a compression effect on the sound, whereas usually I just tame the dynamics a bit. And of course the guitar is tuned in Dadgad tuning, which sounds great by itself!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Thanks for your reply alter. I use Reaper too but my sound is not as good as yours. That's probably why I do phone recordings most of the time. I plan on buying a camcorder for better sound and visuals.

Alltunes, thanks for joining us. Nice Chordal playing! Is that a Princeton amp?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    Alltunes, thanks for joining us. Nice Chordal playing! Is that a Princeton amp?
    Thanks. The amp is a Headstrong Santa Cruz 5 outfitted with a 6l6 power tube and a 10” Weber 30 watt 10F150.

User Info Menu

Here is an arrangement I put together a while back of "The Christmas Song." I am practicing that and a few others at present.

User Info Menu

This years contribution is another version of The Christmas Song.
    The arrangement was done by Charlie Byrd. ( and transcribed by Francois Leduc)

In previous years I did some arrangements of german christmas songs myself and some of tunes arranged by other guys:
    Weihnachten - YouTube

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mike_k

Here is an arrangement I put together a while back of "The Christmas Song." I am practicing that and a few others at present.
    Sounds great Mike.

Let me know if there's any tunes that you would like to do in January.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford J17
    This years contribution is another version of The Christmas Song.
    The arrangement was done by Charlie Byrd. ( and transcribed by Francois Leduc)

In previous years I did some arrangements of german christmas songs myself and some of tunes arranged by other guys:
    Weihnachten - YouTube
    Very nice Stanford! I recognise Francois's name as he has transcribed several Ted Greene tunes as well.

Interesting that both you and Mike played acoustic guitars. One steel, one nylon.

Let me know if there's a tune you'd like to do for January.

User Info Menu

I love doing these:

User Info Menu

Here's another.

My scribbled arrangement is at near the bottom of this page: Inspiration — Ed Nakayama Music